bcollins

So who has used their boat less than I have this year?

bcollins    18

Been out maybe 4 times. Kids sports and being an accountant make this time of year rough to find the time. I also live in San Diego with basically one reservoir that allows water contact 3 times a week. We have the bay, but I will never put my boat in salt water. Mostly just excuses but bottom line is I just don't use this thing nearly enough. I think I literally spend more time working on it than I do using it. Thought about selling it but realized that would probably be the end of boat ownership for me so I'm keeping it. The river camping trips I do every October are enough for me to justify the cost.

So for all of those guys putting several hundred hours a year on their boat, how many of you guys out there are like me and only use it very sparingly?

zapisor    43

Got out twice before holidays, we did however put 61 hours on it during a two week vacation...

hopefully get 10 more before the season ends

duramat    462

BC..I was just having this discussion last week with a coworker. He was asking questons on my when my boating season begins and ends and how I was justifying paying payments, storage, gear, gas, etc. Hes kicking around the idea of getting something.

It's a very valid point, but if your gonna own one you have to look at through a different set of eyes IMO. My family time is priceless and the memories they will have is worth it to me.

As for usage this year....this year has been my worse hands down. Long wet spring and winter (WITH HARDLY NO SNOW mind you) delayed my season. We've had some camping trips with some others that didn't include the boat, that hasn't helped, but so far this year we've more than tripled the use of the motorhome over last LOL (1!)

I've only been out a handful of times...8 Launches? I've only been through a tank full of gas......sad. Our lake is low so I'm paranoid on dinging a prop. This season hasn't been kind to many of my friends as well. Ya...same situation.

bcollins    18

The time and experiences are priceless and I love time on the boat...I just wish I had more of it. Great post Dura.

DarksideR    1,679

Best weather in the past 3 years here in Vancouver BC,

I just moved super close to the lake,

I've had 3 solid weeks off of work,

... 3 times :rant:

Edited by DarksideR
  • Like 1

superdtf    68

Same for me this year. Aside from a week-long family reunion, we've been out six times this year. Dismal.

We discussed selling and going without for a year, and then getting a 2015 with CATS and Ramfill. Anybody want our super-cherry 2008 240 with switchblade?

guido8000    7

I think I have you all beat from lack of use.

I owned an 87 Mirage 19' IBOB runabout which was an awesome ski, wakeboard, and tubing boat. For the last 8 years we only used it two weeks out of the year while on vacation (the kids moved out and went off to college and drought caused the lack of use). This year and last it was never even in the water. Our son just introduced us to wakesurfing so that spawned an idea. This summer I decided like Dura mentioned above to not only cherish those family memories but make many more new ones.

Hence the start of the next chapter. I sold the Mirage that had only 615 hours on (500+ of which were put on it the first half of its 26 year life) and a mint condition 03 BMW M3 (31K miles) that we owned. The M3 did not provide for family memories. With the proceeds of those sales we bought a surf boat. It just came out of the shop and I have yet to even ride in her yet. This maybe the last boat I ever purchase but my hopes are to wear it out from too much use. Cheers 100+ hours a year is my new goal.

• Like 1

Troy. R    198

I thought it was just me!

The wife just gave birth to our third 3 weeks ago today. A baby girl. That said, we haven't had the boat out more than a handful of times aside from our week trip to Lake Shasta.

But, she's feeling better, itching to get some surfing in, and been hitting the tread mill doing her "surf training". We'll be out as soon as the Dr. Clears her. Hopefully we have a busy September and October.

CDABOAT    14

We've been going ALL summer (and since early Spring). However, I went to Cancun on vacation last week. And this week I didn't go out - and now the days are getting shorter which will continue to be a problem for mid-week rides after work. Luckily we have some time set aside to ride on Memorial Day weekend (Sun/Mon). But here's the real problem - our lakes in N. Texas are getting L O W... as in the tide is permanently out. Pretty soon the ramps we use will be closed. It's so frustrating as we've received rain, but the Corps Of Engineers continue to let water out at a faster rate then water comes in. I'm fearing an early end to the 2013 season. We normally ride through November - but that may not be sustainable due to the aforementioned.

Here's my normal surfing/boating season:

1st trimester ("Early Spring With Wetsuits"): mid-March through late April

2nd trimester ("All Summer Long With No Wetsuits"): Late April through late September

3rd trimester ("Fall With Wetsuits") Late September through early December, including "Surf The Turk" on Thanksgiving

I can't believe how fast this year has flown by. Bring on the heavy rains (but only on the days I don't plan to ride). :)

- Dennis

• Like 1

boatman    0

Dont do what I did. Got mad because we were not using boat as much as I wanted, put it up for sale and it sold within 2 days, guy drove 10 hours and paid me asking price, I wish I hadnt sold it. Now I want to replace it but prices have seemed to have gone way up.

DarksideR    1,679

Dont do what I did. Got mad because we were not using boat as much as I wanted, put it up for sale and it sold within 2 days, guy drove 10 hours and paid me asking price, I wish I hadnt sold it. Now I want to replace it but prices have seemed to have gone way up.

This has been going through my mind lately too. If I only use the boat 5 or 6 times a year, it's just not worth the pain and hassle of it sitting in the driveway. It's honestly causing stress between the wife and I.

Nick213    583

4 trips out for me this year :( I remember using my boat every weekend in the summer for at least two years strait.

Work is busy and money is good, so it's the only reason I am not on the water almost every weekend.

My plan is to always own a boat in use or not!!!!!

Prior to getting our Enzo on July 19th of this year we had put about 8 hours on our Crownline through the first 2 months of the boating season. 4 1/2 weeks after bringing the Enzo home it turned 65 hours this evening. My initial goal was to put 50 hours on it by the end of the season. New goal is 100 hours, but with early waterfowl and upland bird hunting season rapidly approaching that may be a little to optimistic.

harlobra    24

It took me 10 years to get another boat since I sold my last one. The initial hit/ justification is much worse than the cost to keep it. Keep it if you can.

zapisor    43

It took me 10 years to get another boat since I sold my last one. The initial hit/ justification is much worse than the cost to keep it. Keep it if you can.

Your correct....

This is why I will always do what I can to own a boat

post-114-0-76891800-1377348410_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

RVR-RAT    269

Your correct....

This is why I will always do what I can to own a boat

Absolutely no way to put a price on that picture!!! Awesome post zapisor!!!

zapisor    43

That is a great shot, and it was not staged.

It was taken in 2008, my first summer with the Falcon. The little ones were watching the older ones jump off a series of cliffs so they climbed up there for a better view. The little guy on the right is mine, he was four at the time, now he is nine and this summer was his first jump of the cliffs.

I recently listed my enzo, I really wanted an all white one, figured I had too much money sitting on the driveway, I could probably make 10 points off the money over winter and re-buy in the spring... all the things that go though an owners brain... Boy was I surprised when I called my son (I am traveling for work) to let him know that he needs to show the boat. I instantly got texts from everyone of my children and my wife saying no!!!!!

The moral of the story is that as my family ages (oldest of four is 18) our opportunities to put hours on the boat seem to be less and less. However when we do get to use it the hours are priceless and can't be replaced by a mustang, lump sum mortgage payment, ski trip or anything else. At the end of the day we are a boating family, it defines us and keeps us close, Some years it may be 30 days, some years it may be 5 days but we still want those days. I can say with certainty that everyone on this forum understands that there is nothing like being out on the boat with family and friends... even if its only for a little while.

Stay thirsty and own fiberglass my friends

Z

• Like 2

guido8000    7

That is a great shot, and it was not staged.

The moral of the story is that as my family ages (oldest of four is 18) our opportunities to put hours on the boat seem to be less and less. However when we do get to use it the hours are priceless and can't be replaced by a mustang, lump sum mortgage payment, ski trip or anything else. At the end of the day we are a boating family, it defines us and keeps us close, Some years it may be 30 days, some years it may be 5 days but we still want those days. I can say with certainty that everyone on this forum understands that there is nothing like being out on the boat with family and friends... even if its only for a little while.

X2 and awesome photo btw.

rawinnin    73

Make that a X4.

And yes this is a great thread!