Boulder Preston

WakeMakers Supreme S238 Ugrade Bags

I absolutely love my 2016 Supreme S238 but have decided to add some more ballast. Because we still do lots of skiing and tubing, I don't want to get bags of lead pellets that are always in the boat. I am leaning toward the WakeMakers "Bag Busters" rear ballast upgrade kit. It replaces the two factory 550 pound bags with a total of 1730 pounds. Allegedly it connects to the factory pumps and tubing. I was wondering if anyone has experience - good or bad - about the WakeMakers bags. Thanks very much.

stoked    1,039

PM "NW Boat Sports" on here, they apparently sell a kit that is better than wakemakers

• Like 1

truekaotik    458

That's what I would do ^^^^^ H says they do the best bang for buck...

• Like 1

Brandon161    26

Just bought my 238 from North West Boat Sports and bought it with the kit installed. It's a nice kit. It's solid. Call Ian or Pat they will hook you up.

• Like 1

I'll have to give them a call, I tried PM some days ago, but they are probably working and not playing on the internet. lol However if anyone has the details of it let me know. I just plumbed in 750's in the rear yesterday and 325/port, 250/starboard side. Plus moved the rams out to the furthest position on the trim tab. Hopefully will lake test it tomorrow. I'd be interested to know NW's setup though.

I've heard the WM bags have weak joints.

The fly high bags with the quick connectors are weak in general. We've had several rip out of the bags when the hose gets in the wrong spot and puts too much pressure on the bags. Most of this stuff was designed for irrigation systems and not for boats, so the design is not the best for the application.

I'm trying out the some of the non-quick connect fittings that screw right into the bag, so I'm hoping that will yield better results. Seems like they will torque the fitting less, plus they thread a lot deeper. A quick disconnect can be added in-line if that is desired.

Cwazy1    89

I thought those quick connect ports for the throw over pump could be unscrewed and just becomes a 1" female NPT?

Are they actually welded on?

The fly high bags with the quick connectors are weak in general. We've had several rip out of the bags when the hose gets in the wrong spot and puts too much pressure on the bags. Most of this stuff was designed for irrigation systems and not for boats, so the design is not the best for the application.

I'm trying out the some of the non-quick connect fittings that screw right into the bag, so I'm hoping that will yield better results. Seems like they will torque the fitting less, plus they thread a lot deeper. A quick disconnect can be added in-line if that is desired.

I thought those quick connect ports for the throw over pump could be unscrewed and just becomes a 1" female NPT?

Are they actually welded on?

Are you talking about the ports on the tsunami pump or on the bags? I assume the bag?

h20king    794

I had a wm bag fail this year switched to the NWBS fly high sacks and no problems so far

rrd525    40

Do you have any pics of how the NWBS bags are installed? Piggback off existing pumps, valves, wyes?

Can you fill and drain the underseats separate from the Locker bags utilizing a valve?

Interested in adding a new setup for next season.

Brandon161    26

It piggy backs off the big bag in the back locker. You can't really fill or drain them separately. You could out a valve between the bags just to keep the smaller bag from filling if you wanted. I am sure you could get inventive and run the hoses different ways or something. But the main bag has three hoses running into the smaller bag under the seats

yeah the bag

They can be unscrewed but I believe they use PVC cement on them so they are very tough to unscrew. Problem is when they get pulled on too hard they come out and often take part of the threads with them. Plus it looks they Fineline was using primer on the threads as well as pvc glue. Primer I have found just melts the threads and weakens them a bit. Fly high bags are 3/4 NPT.

I don't think PVC cement is the correct application for what they are doing. PVC/Plastic SEALANT should be used in a plastic on plastic environment that has vibration. However sealant won't do much to anchor the fitting in, so they use the cement. But that leads to other problems.

viking    491

I have the NWBS bag buster system in my 226. Fly High recommends gluing the fitting in but I didn't and haven't had any issues all season.

Cwazy1    89

Cant believe they want people to glue them in... thats such a poor design.

Either use thread tape or get an oring to fit. Thats how I'm currently doing it on my malibu's PNP.

viking    491

^^ think its a liability cover your tush kinda thing ^^

WakeDoc    471

In 10 plus years I have never had a problem like this

• Like 4

Carter13    69

Just use Teflon tape on all fittings to the bag.

That is pi$$ poor recommendations on Fly High to tell people to permanently glue the fittings into the bag. I semi recall that same recommendation on the bags I bought from them on the last two boats.

Edited by Carter13