MobEnzo

Surf Board to the Head

MobEnzo    51

Have any of you run into riders taking the surf board to the head? I've had two people over the past couple of years take the board to the head. One required stitches and the other probably could've gotten stitches, but they we're able to close it up with steri-strips. It was right in her eyebrow, but got me thinking that it could be worse - in the eye, etc. I try to tell people to put their arms up when they fall to avoid this, but forgot with a newbie this past weekend. She fell, and the board came over top of her from the wave. It really puts a damper on the riding after it happens, both times we were done for the day... The first time it happened, I thought it was just my accident prone brother-in-law being dumb tush, because he held on to the rope for a bit after he fell. But now that it happened again, just curious if others have had this happen and not sure if there are any good ways to prevent.

h20king    794

Yep all you can do is cover up on the way down. My best bud's wife took a fin to the face and now has a scar. Guess you could go with a full face helmet LOL

• Like 1

Cdifranco    463

Yes, I do not allow any new riders to ride a sharp railed board until they are a good surfer. I will stick them with the rounded edge more surf style board even though they are harder to get up on than a skim style board. Atleast then all theyll get is a concussion not stitches!

Jake707    171

yup I took one to the cheek, dam that doesn't sound right, just under my eye the first time out, ever since then I always throw my hands up feeling for the board when I fall and wouldn't you know it I have never felt the board since. Maybe I learned to fall the right way so the board doesn't come at me since I have had so much practice at falling. I have also had the rope come up and wrap around my arm. It gave me a little tug as the boat kept going but nothing more than a slight rope burn, but it scared the hell out of me at the time.

stoked    1,039

I took one to the chin last month. It was under my feet underwater and shot out, halfway up it did a 180 and went rocketing right into my chin. Opened a massive gash

chadr    328

That's why all of us Utah Surf Mafia members wear a hat!!! So we grab for it on our way down protecting our melons!

• Like 3

CO Surfer    289

My wife and I talked about buying helmets when we first started this year due to her being hit once and my daughter twice. It seems to have become less of an issue lately. I know if I fall a certain way I put my arms up in front of my face to prevent being hit. To this point, I have not had the board hit me that I can remember. It's come close. I know that.

bluesman280    99

Yep. Had a kid on our boat last summer take one to his ankle and one to the noggin. A real trooper just kept at it once we patched him in. Glad we always keep a first aid kit on the boat. Hard to explain all the band aids when you are dropping him off though.

• Like 1

Yep I saw a hyperlite broadcast split my cousins ex girlfriends head. She sucked anyway. Haha

jester    111

I had the same thing happen this last week. New rider was doing amazing on getting up for the first time and really enjoying the experience when she fell and took the board to the head. She was done. I really hate it when I break kids. this is also why I keep cold packs on the boat so it this does happen I can keep the swelling down by getting ice right on it.

gravity12    83

I didn't realize this happens so much. I was trying to get up this weekend and it was way too windy the board wit a wave and then the wind blew it into my face. Big cut on my eyebrow. I thought it was just a freak thing but now I'm worried it may happen to my son or a guest I may bring out. I thought surfing was safer than wakeboarding but not being attached to the board is the problem.

I'd rather take some stitches than what wakeboards are capable of doing. Life long life changing damages to knees. I still love to wakeboard but damn those heal side accelerator type things hurt

MobEnzo    51

Thanks for all the responses! Glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I will have to be more diligent about telling the newbies to protect themselves when they fall. Love getting the newbies out, seeing their face when they first get up, and how much they love it!

Thanks for all the responses! Glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I will have to be more diligent about telling the newbies to protect themselves when they fall. Love getting the newbies out, seeing their face when they first get up, and how much they love it!

Isn't that great? I remember my first experience it was on a kneeboard I tried for weeks to do it. I was little. Finally this guy held me up for w water start. I've been on some kind of board ever since. I'll never forget that guy helping me up.

jester    111

I didn't realize this happens so much. I was trying to get up this weekend and it was way too windy the board wit a wave and then the wind blew it into my face. Big cut on my eyebrow. I thought it was just a freak thing but now I'm worried it may happen to my son or a guest I may bring out. I thought surfing was safer than wakeboarding but not being attached to the board is the problem.

Surfing is still way safer then wakeboarding. I do not know how many times I knocked myself out wakeboarding only to come to and have the boat next to me. A few cuts every three years is worth not seeing stars every weekend.

TNJeeper    21

My son took one right on the eye brow that required stitches last year. Always try to remind people to bring there hands up when they fall.

daz28iroc    73

wife took a ronix cortez to the nose early on, it actually straitened hers out for the better.

another lady took the cortez to the forehead and it gave her a good egg, no stitches yet.

everyone knows or is told to get your hands in front of your face if you fall ahead of the board, or just in general.

and we don't use the cortez anymore, just lighter boards now.

• Like 1