Sign in to follow this  
Shaka

Sunken Boat Repair

Shaka    146

I think I mentioned this in the June picture thread. This is how we temporarily fixed the hole in this Mastercraft so it could be towed back to the Marina the next day. I don't know about the $20. The adhesive/sealant and screws they bummed off me cost more than that. Also my drill does the honors.

You can catch my Enzo behind the boat tied off to the houseboat. A steady stream of people got in and out trying to get a better view of the carnage.

viking    491

That's awesome! Good thing it was shallow there and not deep or it would have been a goner.

Shaka    146

That's awesome! Good thing it was shallow there and not deep or it would have been a goner.

The boat was totaled by the insurance company so it was a goner either way.

RhuntIII    555

What a great save.

WakeDoc    471

The boat was totaled by the insurance company so it was a goner either way.

But, it did not end up on the bottom of the lake which is the best part of it... :thumbsup:

RVR-RAT    269

Nice save ! Cool to see how the boating community comes together at a time of need !

Edited by RVR-RAT

chadr    328

I guess I missed the story somewhere. What happened to it to where it sunk? Hit something?

Shaka    146

We aren't sure exactly what happened. It had to have nailed something at some point. Early in the trip the boat was working fine but taking on water. It progressively got worse to the point where nothing could keep up. It would have sunk completely had it not been dragged up onto that sandbar.

We were about thirty miles from the marina. The salvage people charge $300 per hour to retrieve the boat which would have added up to several thousand dollars. The insurance does not cover salvage unless the boat has sunk. Frankly it might have been less hassle if the boat had sunk. The insurance company totaled the boat and cut the owner a fat check which purchased a much nicer used Mastercraft. I'm sure the boat will be sold for scrap and some enterprising person will attempt to fix it.

DarksideR    1,679

That's awesome Shaka! Thanks for posting that. Like doc said, even though it was written off anyway, it's best that it was saved from the gallows. I think there's actually fines in some areas for sinking your boat. The oil and gas is an issue for sure.

were those bounty paper towels?

Shaka    146

They are the quicker picker-upper.

• Like 3

RVR-RAT    269

That's awesome Shaka! Thanks for posting that. Like doc said, even though it was written off anyway, it's best that it was saved from the gallows. I think there's actually fines in some areas for sinking your boat. The oil and gas is an issue for sure.

That's why it's a GOOD idea that your insurance company covers you for a hazardous clean up in the event your boat sinks. Most insurance companies DON'T cover you for this.

Edited by RVR-RAT
  • Like 1

Lak3surf3r    714

My ski safe coverage dose ;)

Yep thats one of the reasons I switched to them, not to mention its was half of what I was paying and has higher limits too!

Of note, they saved themselves a lot of $$$ as Shaka said. Lake Powell requires any sunken boat to be retrieved, no matter how deep it is. That often is thousands upon thousands of dollars.