DarksideR    1,679

Let's start with the bad.

Many of you know the story of how I came to own my current boat(2014 FX22 Pro boat). The quick and dirty of it is that I had a FS33 on order and had to back out because of the dollar exchange driving the cost upward over $12k. So I jumped on this Pro boat. Meaning it was used by one of Centurions Pro riders for one season. So I get a discounted price and the boat is checked out and detailed by the factory and is sold as a new boat ie. zero issues/damage and so on with full warranty. Well, that's where things went a little sideways. It's hard to go over every inch of a boat before you buy it, there's so much to look at and check out. I did notice right before taking ownership that one of the seats had a slight cut in the vinyl, and the wakeboard rack forks on one side were bent. Dealer and Fineline said no problem, and I had new stuff sent out before I could even use the boat. Drove the boat home from the dealer and put her in my garage for the next couple months.

It was February 16th. So, over the next few months, while installing extra ballast and stereo equipment, I started to find more things wrong. Nothing huge, but still, far from a "new" boat. And possibly clues to how the boat was treated.

First, was one of the trailer bunks had a couple big chunks in it. Looked like a prop hit it or a beaver liked it. Next was what I thought was a rock chip under the starboard side driver area in the gelcoat. Turned out to be a screw sticking out through from the inside. That was a super smart stereo installer who had mounted a sub box under the drivers helm. The angle bracket was still there, but not the sub. So it had other stereo equipment installed and then removed. Still had a lot of the wiring in place. Again, my dealer took care of it.

Now it's spring and I'm starting to use the boat. This boat is AWESOME! Throws a killer surf wake on both sides, an awesome wakeboard wake that's super clean and rampy(says my one friend who wakeboards). LOVE IT! It burns through ALOT of gas! Almost twice what the guys are getting from their FS33's. Turns out that the Pro rider had a much more aggressive prop installed. The 2079. 14.5x12. It'll rip your arms out! But it's overkill and I'd like to spend a little less on fuel. This is where things go south. I tried to convince Fineline that the boat came with the wrong prop, one that is not offered from the factory and would like an 1847 (typically the factory high alt. prop) comped to me. I wasn't counting on this, but had high hopes. They had been so good to me so far. Came back a no. That's ok... I ordered one myself. Anyone want a kickass wakeboard prop!? Now it gets even worse. Our fourth time using the boat, I noticed the bilge pump wasn't working. After removing it, it was apparent that the PO had a belt get shredded as there was strips of belt jammed in the pump. To speed things up and get to use my boat I bought my own bilge pump and installed it. The Factory agreed to reimburse me "their" cost of the pump. Which, is fair.

This is where the UGLY comes along.

At the end of May, the next time out after the bilge issue I was pulling my friend wakeboarding and after about 3 or 4 minutes the boat shutdown abruptly. Felt like I got slapped in the back hard. Wouldn't go in reverse at all and would only travel at idle speed no matter what RPM. Thought I blew the transmission. Took it to my dealer the next morning. They dropped everything and started checking things out. Turned out to be the V-drive that was the issue. So a new V-drive AND tranny was quickly ordered. A week and a half later it arrived... wrong one. They had a 50/50 chance. It was PCM's mistake. My dealer tried to have them air freight it, but that didn't happen. So another week and a half later the correct one came. By this point, the dealer had found the reason it failed. Water got in the V-drive. So now PCM says it wasn't winterized properly. Well, it went from my dealers heated garage to mine in an afternoon and we never got any freezing temps for long enough or cold enough to do any possible damage. This is where my dealer really stepped up. PCM wasn't going to cover it so my dealer said they'd cover it if Fineline didn't. Don't know how that one turned out, but it cost me nothing. Well, other than a month of no boat!

So, after owning my last boat for five years with zero issues and this one for five months and a list of issues, it's really starting to feel like a bad omen. Seriously considering wiping my hands of it. I just keep telling myself that there couldn't be any more issues. Then something else pops up! LOL.

But all in all, I really couldn't be happier with the dealer service I've received from ExtremeBoatsport. Just wish I didn't have to bother them so much!

• Like 4

boatnut    230

Oh man, that's difficult to read, good thing Tony and extreme stepped up...all I can say is I believe I bought my boat from the best dealer too.... Hope it works out and you get that beast on the water permanently :)

Dandy    43

This will be a great thread to point all of those guys asking about the quality of boat/dealer. As boatnut knows (and I have read about on a different forum :secret: ) the dealer can make all the difference. That said, it is important to purchase a boat from a quality builder, this is the best way to start off without issues, but how the dealer handles the issues and there WILL be a few even though the boat is new, will make the difference in your season.

Well written dark and way to make sure to let everyone know that you have a kick a$$ dealer and who they are.

Stretch    409

Sorry to hear about all the issues and the feeling they have brought to you. Supposed to be an investment for fun first and foremost, and it's hard to see that it's doing the opposite to ya.

Terrible to hear about the issues, but so awesome that you've got a great dealer on your side. I'm in the same washing hands clean point that now, probably a little further, and man I would love to have a good dealer behind me. Seems like new and old boats have heir problems, but I'm pretty convinced of the advantages to step up to at least lightly used from a good dealer this next time around. It's hard not having anyone fighting with you.

Just to make it clear although I am in NC I bought through private sale. Don't want anyone to misinterpret and think I went through Overby and don't have anyone backing me. I have spoken with Overby a few times and they have always helped with whatever I needed.

Edited by Stretch

Bongo Fury    640

Nice write up Dark and glad your delaer has your back. Perhaps my biggest fear in the Nautique purchase of Centrurion is that something might change in my dealer Hillside Honda not representing the Centurion line. While I really can't see how this could happen, it is about the only thing that could keep me from being loyal to the Centurion brand. The dealer is just that important!!

• Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

Thanks guys. I do think that this speaks volumes toward what a good dealership should be. But unfortunately does possibly the same to the build quality of this boat. In reality, I think it speaks more to the possible abuse or neglect from the PO. Someone on another thread mentioned they would never buy a pro boat because they trash them. I didn't believe in that mindset before, but am starting to now!

• Like 3

daz28iroc    73

sorry to hear about your issues, hoping for smooth sailing from here on.

• Like 1

tprice    118

My buddy owned two SV 244's in one year. A 2013 and a 2014 and both were used by pro riders and used in competition. They both had minimal hours but had nothing but problems with both boats.

Now owns a 2015 226

• Like 1

Cdifranco    463

I could tell you for sure id take much better care of any boat I paid for rather than a boat given to me.... Sad but true

• Like 1

zapisor    43

My story is similar,

I factory ordered my Falcon and I knew every square inch if that boat. Never ever had an issue (other than the bad batch exhaust manifold gasket and the typical mtc). When I sold it I bought a dealer demo with 29 hours on it. I have been finding ghosts ever since but I think I have them all worked out.

I will say, Les C., Mike S., Shel B, and Brett P have all been incredible and have gone over and above the call of duty. I don’t think I could ever consider a different brand.

Things will work out

boatnut    230

Bizzare, you would think a pro rider, would wanna have a meticulous boat, kinda like buying a rcmp car, you know it's been driven hard, but maintained to a tee.. Guess boats are different

wesp    12

Sorry to hear that Dark....I just about pulled the trigger on your boat 2 weeks before you bought it. I live in ontario so I would of probably been screwed....when I was talking to Tony I could tell he was a very good dealer! I ended up going with a used dealer demo from the US and the dealer left it in a disasters state when i picked it up. I have some small rips etc. I didn't even think that was covered under warranty?

TL68    40

Flat out sucks Dark. Thumbs up to the dealer. You're getting very little use and headaches out of a "new" boat. The dealer is taking most/all of the warranty hit. Seems like the boat manufacturer would step in and say enough is enough? I understand things happen, but when a normal guy wants to slap down the kind of cheddar these boats garner, there should be some kind of protocol on making it right. Not just nickel and dime fixes. How about, we are so sorry for your troubles, give us the boat. We will diagnose and make it right. In the meantime, you can use a factory New boat until a decision is made. Heck, you get to drive a loaner when you take your car in for service(some cars). Rant over.

• Like 1

Troy    234

Sorry to hear about your troubles Dark! Hope all gets worked out and you have no more issues! Keep your head up that boat is beautiful.

rockballer    162

That sucks Dark.... Tony/Tracey are straight up legit people. Picked my boat up from storage.... absolutely mint condition. Was missing the wiring harness when I picked it up... without hesitation he grabs a new one and just give it to me.... no questions asked. Haven't had 1 issue with the service they provided or any of their work. Absolutely amazing. I send everyone I know that way and they all say the same thing. Know what you mean about the dollar. just came across the border the other day and they charged my 1.26 exchange.... WTF... highway robbery.

I won't even start on the other local shops that I have been screwed by in the past 2 years.... endless It's almost got to the point that I have to start sending all my vehicles down to the states for work.

Sanger has one hell of a dealer now.

• Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

Well said everyone. TL68, I really wish that was the case. After a month of being boatless in prime boating weather, I was ready to tell the dealer to keep it and order me a new boat! But really just wish my boat would just stay operating as it should! We treat our boat very well, we don't abuse it. I think the fact that my last boat looked and ran every bit as good five years after buying it speaks volumes to how we treat our stuff. So I have to say, it's not me!

• Like 3

TL68    40

I'd like to know what these factory guys are doing to the boats. As tough as these things are, what kind of hell can cause these problems? Hook that sucker up and do a diagnostic. See how at least the motor was treated. Might give some insight. Maybe the factory rider had issues and gave it back,who knows. Good luck Dark and feel free to let loose here.

h20king    794

That sucks Dark but you will get it all worked out and have an awesome reliable boat. Look on the upside at least you did not drop 100k on an FS just to have your boat in and out of the shop Like Nate has been doing with his 44. He is now on his 12th set of ram valves and who knows how many software upgrades. All our boats are hand made one at a time so there will always be the human error factor. I always go stem to stern and check everything on a new boat. Only thing I found on this boat was a couple loose hose clamps and the bow tank would self fill when sitting in the water and would lose water when under way. It was just a bad design from the factory. Like you my dealer NW Boat Sports offered to fix it but I just had them give me the parts and I took care of it as it was an easy fix. Point is you have an awesome boat and dealer and more than likley would have had a problem or two even if you would have bought new.

Edited by h20king
  • Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

Thanks fellas. I agree on all points. Just finished lubing up my gate valves as they were starting to stick a bit. Been working pretty flawlessly. Knock on wood.

• Like 2

Stretch    409

Now you've gone and done it

• Like 1