RVR-RAT

YETI COOLER

RVR-RAT    269

Yep ice at Lake Powell is 5 or 6 bucks for a small bag. That adds up pretty quick. Not uncommon for us to spend $80-100 on ice in a week. That is $80-100 of frozen water. Maybe the price of an awesome cooler is not that bad after all if it cuts your ice expense in half each trip. Pays off a cooler in a few years.

Yes it might pay off ....And if saves the hassel of going to get ice so often that's a plus . It's more of the inconvinience going to get the ice as opposed to the $$$....

HMMMM.... my daughter now loads the boat on the trailer and helps anchor at the river...... Maybe i should delegate her as the ice queen and send her on a mid day excursion to the store.. LOL

• Like 1

Bigcatpt    408

Yes it might pay off ....And if saves the hassel of going to get ice so often that's a plus . It's more of the inconvinience going to get the ice as opposed to the $$$....

HMMMM.... my daughter now loads the boat on the trailer and helps anchor at the river...... Maybe i should delegate her as the ice queen and send her on a mid day excursion to the store.. LOL

Good point. Lots of gas money used going to get ice.

Shaka    146

From the look of that video the Coleman was just as good as the Yeti for for lower. Maybe that's where the smart money is.

• Like 1

Audionly101    39

I use the portable counter top ice maker in our RV and while camping where there is power. I makes about a cocktail worth of ice every 7 min and will fill up a gallon zip lock bag in about an hour. I have run it off of a power inverter but it does draw a fair amount of power. I have a Coleman Xtreme 6 50qt cooler that for the price can not be beat. I could not justify the price tag of a Yeti for my small amount of boondocking trips.

• Like 4

wesleyk    1

Yeti makes a great product I have several of there coolers. However if you are planning on using a yeti as a beer or drink cooler to where it will be opened and closed all day getting drinks out it will not impress you on its ice retention. Yeti tells you to pre cool cooler before you load it and to leave it shut after loaded for best ice retiton. if planning on putting meats and other odds and ends in the cooler that wont see much action then in my eyes there is no other cooler that can compare. The best bang for the buck in a day cooler is the Yeti tank bucket we have the 85 qt and we load it up with everything for the day plus ice and even sitting in the blazing sun we still have loads of ice at the end of the day.

• Like 1

Skibumm    184

Yep ice at Lake Powell is 5 or 6 bucks for a small bag. That adds up pretty quick. Not uncommon for us to spend $80-100 on ice in a week. That is $80-100 of frozen water. Maybe the price of an awesome cooler is not that bad after all if it cuts your ice expense in half each trip. Pays off a cooler in a few years.

Ouch. Luckily we have two ice makers and one is a commercial one on our boat at Powell and a freezer. I spent $0 on ice last year for 14 straight days at Lake Powell. Had lots of pebble ice for our drinks.

That being said if you are opening a cooler a lot then nothing will keep ice great. A yeti closed with frozen stuff will keep that stuff frozen for days.

boatnut    230

Might be even more for a bag, with water being at a premium in Cali now :(

RVR-RAT    269

Yeti makes a great product I have several of there coolers. However if you are planning on using a yeti as a beer or drink cooler to where it will be opened and closed all day getting drinks out it will not impress you on its ice retention. Yeti tells you to pre cool cooler before you load it and to leave it shut after loaded for best ice retiton. if planning on putting meats and other odds and ends in the cooler that wont see much action then in my eyes there is no other cooler that can compare. The best bang for the buck in a day cooler is the Yeti tank bucket we have the 85 qt and we load it up with everything for the day plus ice and even sitting in the blazing sun we still have loads of ice at the end of the day.

Good point and thanks for that info. Thats exactly what I was going to use it for and I was wondering if that would be an issue opening and closing a few times a day.

Nick213    583

So I'm due for a new cooler bag for the boat (as I seem to have to buy new ones every year) so I broke down and got this.....

http://yeticoolers.com/hopper-40/

I'll post my review on it here after I get to try it.

stoked    1,039
So I'm due for a new cooler bag for the boat (as I seem to have to buy new ones every year) so I broke down and got this.....

http://yeticoolers.com/hopper-40/

I'll post my review on it here after I get to try it.

Just picked the 40 up on eBay for a pretty good discount (brand new, less than a 30), so far very impressed with it. We're on a long surf weekend right now and 2 days later the ice still looks like it came out of the bag from the store. We're done Tuesday, I'll let you know if we still have ice

• Like 1

Nick213    583

Lol, I got mine on eBay too, probably from the same guy ;)

Edited by Nick213

geb202002    24

I have had great luck with the Coleman marine xtreme cooler. Went camping 4 days in 100+ temps and never had to add ice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmarsh    59

I happen to own a blue Yeti 65 and hunt. I lived in Yuma Az 3 years ago when I bought mine because I was buying ice every morning for my Igloo and I often hunt in areas where there is no store to buy more ice...at least not without driving an hour or more. With that said, my Yeti was worth every penny. I've arrowed and brought home 2 deer, 1 pig, a Canadian goose (and a partridge in a pear tree) in my Yeti. In addition, when not in the field, my Yeti spends every day that I've owned it in the black rhino lined bed of my pickup, loaded with IPA's. It's never been anything short of impressive...so long as I don't let the inside of the cooler get warm.

One HUGE tip that most people never try is "sacrificial ice". If you know you're going to a remote area, or a spot with expensive ice, pack your Yeti (or reasonable facsimile) with ice the week before. I just use the ice in the ice maker each night before bed. This will chill the thick walls of insulation BEFORE you throw your expensive ice or warm beers in. Yuma is BIG on Yetis for status (I know, sad right?) and I can't tell you how many guys would leave their Yeti in the 120° garage (no joke. Really gets that hot or worse), then throw some 70° beers in and buy bag of ice. We'd get to the fishing hole and they'd say "these things suck" when all the ice was gone. Yetis don't run on unicorns or rainbows. They don't plug in. They aren't magic. They insulate VERY well. Nothing more. They are definitely overpriced for what they do and other brands offer the same result with a smaller tag. I happen to think the Yetis look the best and will continue to buy them for years to come. Next in line is a white 75. If you wait for a sale or coupon they aren't so bad but my philosophy has always been, decide what you want, save for what you want and buy what you want. Isn't that why we are all on a Centurion forum?

• Like 3

Cdifranco    463

Mmarsh I do the same as you man except I don't live in that hot of a climate. I will agree when you first pick up a yeti your first thought is wow this thing is beefy.. If you pre cool these coolers they will fact hold ice as intended.. My only gripe is it is too big for a boat cooler. Carrying it down my driveway and onto the boat fully loaded is a no go for my arms!

Mmarsh    59

Wow they look JUST like yeti! Buy a sticker to cover "RTIC" and all your friends will think you're rich. Only flaw I see is that they aren't ready to ship. The 40 soft cooler was in my shopping cart until I saw it wouldn't ship until July. I'm sure they'll get traction and production will be forced to keep up with demand.

stoked    1,039
Wow they look JUST like yeti! Buy a sticker to cover "RTIC" and all your friends will think you're rich. Only flaw I see is that they aren't ready to ship. The 40 soft cooler was in my shopping cart until I saw it wouldn't ship until July. I'm sure they'll get traction and production will be forced to keep up with demand.

Check eBay, Nick and I got a 40 there. Day 3 and I still have ice!!

DarksideR    1,679

Is the 40 the ideal size for our boats? I was actually leaning towards the hard coolers and getting some gator grip cut to go on top. Would make a great footrest and extra step from the back seat to the floor.

stoked    1,039
Is the 40 the ideal size for our boats? I was actually leaning towards the hard coolers and getting some gator grip cut to go on top. Would make a great footrest and extra step from the back seat to the floor.

The 40 fits PERFECTLY in the walk through area.

I like the idea of an ottoman in the back, I won't talk you off that ledge

• Like 2

Nick213    583

The 40 fits PERFECTLY in the walk through area.

I like the idea of an ottoman in the back, I won't talk you off that ledge

Interesting... I typically put mine behind the driver seat ;)