Tommywalton1974

What are the woman surfing?

Troy. R    198

Here's a vid with Ashley and Chris Wolter. I got an opportunity to ride with Chris a few months back. He's Amazing!

http://vimeo.com/m/63874084

Edited by Troy. R

Troy. R    198

The vid link seems to not be working???

Thanks...I was wondering since the Icon is rated to 155lbs and she is no where near the max rated weight. Right now she isn't really IN to the surfing thing but will ride a few times when we are out. Mostly she just enjoys being on the water relaxing. Hoping that will change some though now that our boys are wanting to get into wakeboarding and Wakesurfing more.

BillC4    24

I'm following this thread as my wife needs a new board. Her bday is in April. Any more thoughts? She is petite.

DrNate    426

Nate I have not seen any of the newer generation boards, Why don't you hit up Ashley and tell here to drop one by for a test when she heads back to Corpus?

That's not a bad idea. Although she lives in Austin last I heard and rarely visits :(

BenHolloway    29

Ill be down there in about 4 weeks, if my Texas visitors permit goes through I might be able to bring a shortie Soulcraft if your surfing... *Edit* 75 bucks each way, ouch! maybe not...

Edited by BenHolloway

DrNate    426

Ill be down there in about 4 weeks, if my Texas visitors permit goes through I might be able to bring a shortie Soulcraft if your surfing... *Edit* 75 bucks each way, ouch! maybe not...

C'mon down. We'll be surfing by then for sure!

dejoeco    59

My suggestion is to buy a board from a dedicated wake surf company, not a wakeboard company. You need to decide surf or skim too. Phase Five, Victoria, Soulcraft, Mendonezia, Inland Surf, Day 1 and Triple x all make good boards.

Shaka    146

My suggestion is to buy a board from a dedicated wake surf company, not a wakeboard company. You need to decide surf or skim too. Phase Five, Victoria, Soulcraft, Mendonezia, Inland Surf, Day 1 and Triple x all make good boards.

Why is this a suggestion?

There are several wakeboard companies that make decent boards. Building these things is not rocket science. I've owned boards from a couple of these companies and demoed several others specifically to find a board for women and guess what most of the women preferred: a Hyperlite CoEx. The CoEx isn't even made any more. The second favorite board was a Hyperlite Shim which was recommended to me by three separate pro shops that compete with each other. I'm buying the Shim because I simply can't find a CoEx to purchase for a decent price. People are holding onto them.

While I'm glad surf-specific companies exist they don't have a corner on the market by any means. Good offerings can be found by Hyperlite, Ronix, Connelly, etc...

DrNate    426

I think those boards may be okay for beginners, but you won't advance very far on most of them. Ride a SoulCraft and you will see the light :)

My buddy has a Ronix and it's a brick

Shaka    146

I think those boards may be okay for beginners, but you won't advance very far on most of them. Ride a SoulCraft and you will see the light :)

I demo'd literally every board available from one of our better pro shops. Liquid Force, Phase 5, and a few others were taken out, often for trips of several days, and given a run through by several different women. From beginner to expert every single one of them liked the CoEx over all comers. The beginners were going wireless with no problems and the experienced riders were throwing spins and airing it out. All loved the board. Period Even some of the smaller guys were killing it on the thing.

This whole argument reminds me of when I was a BMX racer. I started on a Huffy that I tricked out with my paper route money. A few riders liked to point out that I'd never beat anyone riding a Mongoose or a Diamond Back. Didn't take long before I was dusting those guys on my Huffy. (From a parts perspective my bike was literally just like there's except for the frame and fork.) I qualified for the Expert division on that Huffy and got a bunch of wins until I finally acquired my dream bike: A Redline PL-20 Carrera. Did that awesome looking Redline equal more wins? Not really. I was pretty much the same racer I'd been on that tricked out Huffy.

Point is a good ride is a good ride. It doesn't really matter who builds it.

• Like 1

duramat    462

Huffy???

Man, that brought back memories of hitting the Schwinn shop in Worst Valley (West). The memories of seeing, wanting, dreaming of upgrading to those brands from my Minigoose LOL. Loved that Minigoose!

Carter13    69

My first bike was a Schwinn that was metallic green and my dad bought a top bar that he attached because it was my older sister's bike so I was rockin a modified chick's bike. :thumbsup:

My parents upgraded me to a Redline many years later and my buddies had GT's and Haro's. This was in the early 80's when there were video arcades. Man those were great care free juvenile times.

Sorry for the detour but it is all dura's fault. :laughing:

Shaka    146

Huffy???

Man, that brought back memories of hitting the Schwinn shop in Worst Valley (West). The memories of seeing, wanting, dreaming of upgrading to those brands from my Minigoose LOL. Loved that Minigoose!

Yup. It's funny that bike had a lot of cool stuff on it. The geometry of the frame and fork was pretty close to my Redline although the Redline was slightly stretched out. Even more funny is that a few days after I acquired the Redline Stu switched sponsorships to Huffy (who reportedly paid him a cool million) who decided to take the sport seriously. At first the just restickered frames by eventually they built some really nice bikes.

RVR-RAT    269

Are you part of the soulcraft army !! :spiteful:

• Like 1

LKASurfing    53

Hands down order the Inland Surfer Caro!

My wife has ridden the IS Pink for the past couple yearsI Ordered in a Caro for a friend end of last summer & she fell in Love, I have one coming in for her this year. Plus we ordered one for her sister! The fact that you can run a single fin for skim, put a larger single fin in for a bit more traction or put the two larger fins in for a surf style. I can ride the board fine at 180lbs. Yet my friend she is barely 100lbs. My wife at 115, and the board is fast and so variable.

She will LOVE it!!

post-2138-0-74832400-1393590922_thumb.jpeg

post-2138-0-73904600-1393591094_thumb.jpeg

Edited by LKASurfing
  • Like 1

Joe B    17

All my girls ride phase 5 (icon,scamp,drew). My surf style boards were to thick/bouyant. Hyperlite and obrien were great for learning but issues with roapless. Everyone has their preference.

Thanks for bringing that up Shaka! So when I was a kid in the 80's like most from the ms delta we were poor. After many bikes including a huffy, I scored a mongoose. Chrome, the one after the California frame with the gusset by the neck. Loved it. Still have the serial number memorized!

So as a kid I eventually got into skateboarding. I traded that mongoose for a Santa Cruz rob roskopp skateboard. At the time was awesome and became friends with the guy I traded. Last year that friend stopped by my house and returned my mongoose. Sans rims, tires and brakes! But still 25 years later I got it back!

Feeling nostalgic today

DrNate    426

Are you part of the soulcraft army !! :spiteful:

Yes :)

But I must admit that I and my family and friends have not ridden all other brands like Hyperlite, O'brien, O'ragious, etc.

Oh, and I had a Diamondback. Saved money for months to get that one

Edited by DrNate

Bigcatpt    408

This is so off topic but WTH.... I rocked a Powell and Peralta Lance Mountain skate board and rode a Schwinn beach cruiser with white wall tires. No BMX bike for me. But I could give 2 friends rides at the same time. One on the handlebars and one on the pegs I had on the back. It was like a serious transportation device. LOL