enzo101mo    98

That's great news I hope that the owner pull it threw. If they fix your boat we all should write to Shell And Centurion of How proud we all are with Centurion a company that stands behind it product.

PayCheck    20

I outta agree with what bongo said earlier, our dealer is a huge reason we went with centurion. Dealer always taken great care of our family. That's great of the company to. Fix the hull for you, but will they fix the cracks only, or the internal structural problem as well? What if they can't figure out what's causing the damage? Good for CFO and shell for giving the support. Sounds like the old owners took care of the boat can't imagine why they would disagree with anything?

carzin    10

That's great news I hope that the owner pull it threw. If they fix your boat we all should write to Shell And Centurion of How proud we all are with Centurion a company that stands behind it product.

I was also thinking this. One of the reasons I parted ways with Supra was how they handled me as a second hand customer. It was my first boat. Many of us start with used, and then graduate to new. Well, I didn't even set foot into a Supra dealership. The closest was going to the boat show, and that was when my wife dragged me. They didn't want to extend me anything more than a 1 year structural warranty on a boat I purchased that had less than 100 hours because it was essentially a team rider boat that had little profit in it for them. It didn't sit well with me.

These companies need to realize that we are all customers, even if not directly, and that ultimately it will benefit them to standby their product.

DarksideR    1,679

I'm keepin my fingers crossed that Centurion takes care of you!

On the trips planned I would be happier to get the hull warrantied vs the trips.

x2

superdtf    68

This isn't so much about "good" manufacturers or "bad"; or good people or bad, when they try to decide if they can cover your boat.

The economics involved are not super profitable for anyone. The margins on boats (for manufacturers and dealers) is only a bit better than cars. But comparative volume is silly; on the chart where you compare family cars to family boats, you can't even see the dot that represents boats.

So the ability of the dealer and manufacturer to absorb issues like this is severely limited. And a manufacturer that guarantees structural quality has a very fine line to tread: they have to back up their product, but they have to avoid losses on spurious claims in order to stay profitable (because if they don't stay profitable, the warranty does nobody any good). I think that's why most manufacturers who have a "lifetime" warranty don't extend it beyond the original owner; there's no one still around to get the "real" story as to what happened. For all you know, the original owner of your boat went sandbar jumping, repaired the underwater gear and sold it before the cracks started showing up. I'm not suggesting this happened in your case, I'm saying I've been around a long time and I've seen crazy, crazy $h!t.

I hope you get your boat repaired, but I can't get upset at manufacturers who choose to protect their business (and by extension, us original owners/warranty holders) by limiting the warranty to the original owners. I know how expensive these boats are, and so it's hard to realize there isn't someone getting rich on practically every sale. But they aren't. In fact, like us, most of them are in it because they have a passion for it. You can get a lot richer, a lot faster, and lot easier than by being in the boat business... which is why I got out. ;)

Edited by superdtf

Kevin Baugh    78

superdtf Excellent post X2 squared ^

Edited by Kevin Baugh

carzin    10

^^ While I would agree with you that the inability of a boat manfacturer to cover a claim like this doesn't necessarily indicate a 'bad manufacturer', I think it absolutely does show the good ones. While I can't expect a company like Centurion to cover all these issues when they come up, the good thing here is that they are trying to make good on their product when they don't have to, and that most definitely puts them in a higher position than other manufacturers.

And while I understand the margins, this company is not a spring chicken. They've been around for a while, and we are definitely in a period of growth (more money coming in).

Edited by carzin

Skibumm    184

Superdtf is exactly right. The main difference i have seen first hand is that centurion will stand behind thier quality. In my case they said that the bow had too much flex in it and they reinforced the bow while it was there. I have seen them reject claims as well but they are very good at looking and seeing defects and covering them. My borther in law had the first all fiber glass elite that was produced, it is the one that started the whole snap out carpet and really clean interiors. His boat developed severe stress cracks on both gunnels and they sent it back and tore it apart to see the cause and found out that they had manufactured the interior piece incorrectly and was binding the boat up right at the point of contact. They modified the mold for the interior on future boats ( I heard that only 4 were made with his mold and they were all brought back). They actually pulled his drive train and dropped it into a completely new boat. Centurion is a top notch company and they stand behind thier product when they feel it is deficient and they learn how to do things better from it. They will not cover everything as lets face it most of the issues arrise from our own actions and they should not be responsible to correct that.

Carter13    69

Battle hard my friend. I don't think it would of even mattered if he was the original owner, shed weasle out of it or find a way too.

That sucks man, I wish you luck.

Hey dura I don't think you are being true with your inner feelings with this statement. Why don't you tell us how you really feel. :thumbsup:

I can attest for the bow slap gel cracks. Our 05 AVY got three starting at the center of our bow 8" in length at the water line and then they splintered off into multi fingers down the hull. Over all the damage was around 6'' wide by 13" long.

Crossing the mighty Columbia to get back to the ramp after the wind kicked way up caused this and I was doing all I could to keep from taking on water. I slammed the heck out of the bow and figured it was the cost of doing business. :laughing:

Glad to hear about a potential positive outcome.

Boat is off to centurion tomorrow to get fixed, after looking at how long some of these cracks are and fining a new high spot (like something is trying to push through the hull) it's going to take some work to get it fixed. I am crossing my fingers that the work will turn out looking good and not looking like a hackjob...

• Like 1

superdtf    68

Nice. Stoked for you. Hope it turns out perfect.

Bongo Fury    640

Nice....I'm sure it will be beautiful when completed!

enzo101mo    98

I finally had a chance to talk to Jim Miller of Miller boats this morning and he told me that's a structural problem and when they were building boats for many years they wanted to know if a boat had structural cracking so they could improve their Hull structure. Wow That's great Centurion will fix your boat.... When they get done with it, it will look brand new again I bet. :thumbsup::guitar:

Finally got a email back from shell last night, looks like there are more cracks on the very bottom of the hull also so they will also need to be fixed. I am going to give her a call Monday and ask her how much I would have to come out of pocket just to re shoot The sides on the boat up to the rub rail, I think it will help them out because they won't have to blend it all and I want the boat to look new not like its had patch work done to it all over the place.

Over the past week they have found for cracks and where tossing around the idea of just replacing the hull, but I guess that's not going to Happen. Word is they are going to just repair that hull. Still wont give me a ETA on when the boat will be done but looks like the original 3-4 weeks will be more like 4-8 weeks if I'm lucky. Was told to call back in 2 weeks and maybe then she can give me a ETA on when it will be done. Guess I can't complain to much but it sure sucks not having a boat when it's 100+ outside.

superdtf    68

Over the past week they have found for cracks and where tossing around the idea of just replacing the hull, but I guess that's not going to Happen. Word is they are going to just repair that hull. Still wont give me a ETA on when the boat will be done but looks like the original 3-4 weeks will be more like 4-8 weeks if I'm lucky. Was told to call back in 2 weeks and maybe then she can give me a ETA on when it will be done. Guess I can't complain to much but it sure sucks not having a boat when it's 100+ outside.

That BLOWS. We spend so much on these boats, and the maintenance, tow vehicle, etc. And if they don't run during the 16 weeks that it's useful to run them, then what's the point? My head would be EXPLODING in your shoes. So sorry.

DarksideR    1,679

I'd be asking how much for a new replacement hull! Would likely be alot less work for them.

Makes me wonder why they wanted to use a new hull, is the damage that bad? Or was it just a money thing? It's hard to get any info out of them. I asked if I could get pics of the work being done and she said she would try but I have yet to get any. I dunno just makes me think. I did ask them Since they would be painting both sides of the boat if they could just paint all of both side and if I had to I'd pay the extra I would but she said they can't do that. I figured it would help them cause they would not have to blend everything...

duramat    462

01 what's your recourse if this fails to fix the problem? Have you addressed that?

rawinnin    73

01 what's your recourse if this fails to fix the problem? Have you addressed that?

Good Question