DrNate    426

Waist to chest!!? On you, or an average sized human?

;)

Hahaaa, on a 5'9" human :) On me, waist high

And according to the thread over at WakeWorld, the tab deploys out on the NON SURFING side. Weird.

Edited by DrNate

truekaotik    458

It's a cool idea... They say nothing else will be released till September... So don't hold your breaths on more info :(

DarksideR    1,679

Ok, surf gate is a great idea that in this case just doesn't seem to be quite perfected.

I just found this video of the Wake9 guys Z3 doing the very same thing, but they actually transfer ballast! They claim to have a Johnson reversable between the 2 sides that can transfer the water from one side to the other. But it appears to do it in a matter of seconds while they are under way! I'm both confused and completely blown away. Check it out.

DarksideR    1,679

Ok, granted, it sounds like Dennis H and Ragboy probably moved from the port side seats to the starboard side seats and that's a fair bit of people weight that moved.

;)

DrNate    426

FYI, fast forward to the 3:00 mark on that vid :)

duramat    462

Ok, granted, it sounds like Dennis H and Ragboy probably moved from the port side seats to the starboard side seats and that's a fair bit of people weight that moved.

;)

..........now your thinkin.I thought that when was talkin about it. Not completely sold on Surfgate yet

tuneman    6

Ok, from my engineering perspective, the Surfgate is a fantastic idea and very simple. It's just a trim tab mounted vertically on the side. The opposite side trim tab is the one that pushes out, as DrNate stated earlier. My first thought was that putting this on a Centurion could make a crazy long and huge clean wave that would swallow anything a Malibu could produce. If I didn't have a 2 year old happily taking up my time, I'd have a prototype on my boat already.

What's the holdup? Somebody get on it and report results!

duramat    462

Ok, from my engineering perspective, the Surfgate is a fantastic idea and very simple. It's just a trim tab mounted vertically on the side. The opposite side trim tab is the one that pushes out, as DrNate stated earlier. My first thought was that putting this on a Centurion could make a crazy long and huge clean wave that would swallow anything a Malibu could produce. If I didn't have a 2 year old happily taking up my time, I'd have a prototype on my boat already.

What's the holdup? Somebody get on it and report results!

I nominate Sporty! :thumbsup: (he's the king shizzle of Mods. Centurion should hire him and follow his ideas)

SKEliteV    0

The opposite side trim tab is the one that pushes out, as DrNate stated earlier.

Really, opposite side?

Quickly looking at it, I would have thought it would have been the surf side tab that is extended. Force of water on that tab would drive the back of the boat slightly sideways, and force the surf side down a bit, creating the wave. I'm obviously missing something...

DrNate    426

Really, opposite side?

Quickly looking at it, I would have thought it would have been the surf side tab that is extended. Force of water on that tab would drive the back of the boat slightly sideways, and force the surf side down a bit, creating the wave. I'm obviously missing something...

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought, but it is definately the non-surf side. And, allegedly, it doesn't even tilt the boat or crab walk or anything. Pretty ingenious if it inded works as advertised. And so incredibly simple!

bcollins    18

I could be wrong but from what I heard over on wakeworld, because you know whatever they say is law, that the tabs aren't intended to make the boat list more....so does that mean the tabs actually shape the wave more so than forcing the side of the boat down and using the hull to shape the wave? I'ma confused...

superdtf    68

Dense Human Ballast (DHB)

So my formal education is economics. As an economist, I'm forecasting that dense human ballast will continue to experience downward price pressure, due in part to market glut and other external market factors such as surplus food supply, corn-based additives, and unemployment. This means that what was once a luxury item (DHB - large folks that move quickly and obediently in the boat), should start to be available to boaters of upper mid, and then finally mid range salaries in the next two to three year horizon. Furthermore, most consumers of DHB do not surf professionally nor at a frequency that would qualify them as normal employers. As such, those boaters would be exempt from employer requirements such as payroll tax, workers comp, healthcare, etc. What this means in the context of this thread is that Surfgate will launch at the same time that low cost alternatives become widely available in the marketplace. We expect this competition to impel competitors to tighter innovation cycles and increased competition in terms of price and delivery/packaging.

Safe Harbor Statement: This report includes forward-looking statements covered by the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Because such statements deal with future events, they are subject to various risks and uncertainties and actual results for the watersports year 2012, and beyond could differ materially from the Economist's current expectations. Forward-looking statements are identified by words such as "forecasts", "anticipates," "projects," "expects," "plans," "intends," "believes," "estimates," "targets," and other similar expressions that indicate trends and future events.

Factors that could cause the Economist's results to differ materially from those expressed in forward-looking statements include, without limitation, variation in demand and acceptance of market products and services, the frequency, magnitude and timing of raw-material-price changes, general business and economic conditions beyond the Economist's control, timing of the completion and integration of acquisitions, the consequences of competitive factors in the marketplace including the ability to attract and retain dense human ballast, results of continuous improvement and other cost-containment strategies, as well as Boaters' success in attracting and retaining key personnel. The Economist undertakes no obligation to revise or update forward-looking statements as a result of new information, since these statements may no longer be accurate or timely.

DarksideR    1,679

Lmao. You too can be fat rich!

DrNate    426

Hillarious Super :laughing:

Elitist    1

I wonder if there is a reason they are showing us only night footage.

Daylorb    3

Certainly would be an interesting project to get one of the narrow Lenco tabs and put it mounted vertically right on the side of the boat... Seems like it would accomplish about the same thing, be incredibly easy to install.

Audionly101    39

I'm think I might man up and buy a set of lenco tabs and try it. I just hate the fact that I could be putting holes in the boat that i can't take back. I am trying to think about how to mount some "test tabs" on my swim platform brackets so I can modify without trashing my boat..

volzalum    280

One of the Malibu Engineers had one on my lake Sunday. He parked beside me and talked about it a little. He said there was basically one position where it worked on their boat, and that yes it also worked even better with more ballast.

Faction1    0

Why does everyone think thats awesome? I think it's a gimmick to get you to talk about their boats... Mission accomplished. There's no real value right now in wake surfing for this. Everyone rides with more than factory weight so this doesn't apply to 90% of surfers. Plus if Malibu was serious about surfing they might want to sponsor a contending wake surfer to show their support of the sport. IMO I think it's whack that they actually say its the first wake transfer ever( please see drew ride). How about coming out with a hull that surfs like a centurion?

DarksideR    1,679

The only real benefit to this is for the crew that has riders on both sides. It sucks to have downtime to transfer weight, and it sucks WAY more to know that once you switch the weight over, that's pretty much it for you for the day. Unless you want more downtime. My transfer is in and around 10 mins which isn't too bad. So guess I shouldn't complain. It's just the struggle of moving the seat and floor 400's that's taxing. JMTC