lovetosurf

Fi23 first impressions

lovetosurf    48

Anyone had time behind an Fi23 yet? Waiting to do a demo next week but crawled around our dealers first one yestersday, thought I'd share some quick observations coming from an FS33.

This was a barebones, stripped down Fi so difficult to base first impressions on a boat that's not equipped the way you'd want it, but here goes.

Styling: the new design language is definately sharp/more angular and had less rounded/ flowing lines than the Fs but I really like it, it's aggressive and eye catching.

Tower: This wasn't obvious to me in the promo video but the tower is set far back, really far back actually. Not sure if it's a weight distribution thing or just the look they were going for but it's very noticeable compared to previous models. The back of the tower is almost inline with the rear seat backs and I believe the guys at custom covers are working on redesigning the mounts to shift the Bimini forward as the current XL Bimini would be shading half of the rear deck. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't look bad, it's just different!

Storage: definitely a big step up from the Fs and I like that you have access from the bow seat backs to those compartments. Those new "rambox" style storage compartments out back look like the perfect place to chuck the shoes as you're entering the boat, I think side hinges would have been better but love the addition all in all.

Interior: Nice to see a little more freeboard compared to the Fs, not a lot but I'd say it sits in between the fs and ri in interior depth. Layout is good, new Vynl texture and quality is awesome, a big step up. The new Dash/helm is awesome, I actually prefer the long single screen to the Ri dual setup.  They did change the material used for the plates the switches are mounted on, in the promo video they look like a grey molded plastic but the final versions they are a brushed aluminum looking metal finish. Paddle shifters are a nice upgrade too. 

The open walk through takes some getting used to but I don't think I'd miss the built on cooler. I will say the passenger side of the walk through looks a bit plain as it's just a gelcoat wall, could've used a little dress up, Vynl stitched panel or little storage compartment  with charging port like the Fs, not a big deal though and I'm sure it helps get costs down.

One last thing, the small passenger side seat cushion seems like it could easily be converted to a flip up stadium seat, wish it was an option but I imagine a lot of folks will try a diy conversion.

All in all, I think the Fi nailed it! 

Would love to hear from those who've had a chance to surf it! Cheers

Edited by lovetosurf

mrrpfc4    38
46 minutes ago, lovetosurf said:

Anyone had time behind an Fi23 yet? Waiting to do a demo next week but crawled around our dealers first one yestersday, thought I'd share some quick observations coming from an FS33.

This was a barebones, stripped down Fi so difficult to base first impressions on a boat that's not equipped the way you'd want it, but here goes.

Styling: the new design language is definately sharp/more angular and had less rounded/ flowing lines than the Fs but I really like it, it's aggressive and eye catching.

Tower: This wasn't obvious to me in the promo video but the tower is set far back, really far back actually. Not sure if it's a weight distribution thing or just the look they were going for but it's very noticeable compared to previous models. The back of the tower is almost inline with the rear seat backs and I believe the guys at custom covers are working on redesigning the mounts to shift the Bimini forward as the current XL Bimini would be shading half of the rear deck. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't look bad, it's just different!

Storage: definitely a big step up from the Fs and I like that you have access from the bow seat backs to those compartments. Those new "rambox" style storage compartments out back look like the perfect place to chuck the shoes as you're entering the boat, I think side hinges would have been better but love the addition all in all.

Interior: Nice to see a little more freeboard compared to the Fs, not a lot but I'd say it sits in between the fs and ri in interior depth. Layout is good, new Vynl texture and quality is awesome, a big step up. The new Dash/helm is awesome, I actually prefer the long single screen to the Ri dual setup.  They did change the material used for the plates the switches are mounted on, in the promo video they look like a grey molded plastic but the final versions they are a brushed aluminum looking metal finish. Paddle shifters are a nice upgrade too. 

The open walk through takes some getting used to but I don't think I'd miss the built on cooler. I will say the passenger side of the walk through looks a bit plain as it's just a gelcoat wall, could've used a little dress up, Vynl stitched panel or little storage compartment  with charging port like the Fs, not a big deal though and I'm sure it helps get costs down.

One last thing, the small passenger side seat cushion seems like it could easily be converted to a flip up stadium seat, wish it was an option but I imagine a lot of folks will try a diy conversion.

All in all, I think the Fi nailed it! 

Would love to hear from those who've had a chance to surf it! Cheers

Well I'm on my way right now to see the FI for myself right now so will my input later today. 

Getssum    10

Great review, thanks for taking the time to write it up!

I'm guessing that the hinges were placed on the front of the storage compartments so that they were more easily accessible from the engine cover side, plus it allows them to put a beefier hinge on there.

• Like 1

mrrpfc4    38

I went to the dealer and we did a build sheet, fairly well optioned $120g , all PnP, downfire package, core gelcoat with one of the free base colors, gator seat base, limo and transom lights, 

no CATs, free snap in carpet. 

MSRP 134g but dealer said he could get it down to 120g  

i plan on getting a new boat also this year but after pricing out the FI and seeing prices only well optioned I'm thinking about a 2018 237 or a 2017 257, finding those fully loaded for 145g an thinking they will be coming down more soon  

Edited by mrrpfc4

rrd525    40
48 minutes ago, mrrpfc4 said:

I went to the dealer and we did a build sheet, fairly well optioned $120g , all PnP, downfire package, core gelcoat with one of the free base colors, gator seat base, limo and transom lights, 

i plan on getting a new boat also this year but after pricing out the FI and seeing prices only well optioned I'm thinking about a 2018 237 or a 2017 257, finding those fully loaded for 145g an thinking they will be coming down more soon  

I think this 257 with 5 hours is $135K USD

http://extremeboatsports.com/product/boats/2017-centurion-ri-237/

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2017-Centurion-RI-257-Loaded-for-sale-Sumas-Washington-67847.aspx

mrnate450r    6
1 hour ago, mrrpfc4 said:

Roughly a 10% discount? That doesn't seem like a deal to me. Just saw a new 2017 Ri237 for $99,900. 

lovetosurf    48
1 hour ago, mrnate450r said:

Roughly a 10% discount? That doesn't seem like a deal to me. Just saw a new 2017 Ri237 for $99,900. 

Please do share a link to this 2017 Ri237 for 99k!

Cwazy1    89
54 minutes ago, lovetosurf said:

Please do share a link to this 2017 Ri237 for 99k!

I think Trevor Miller's blue '16 237 is going for 91k with 200hours

Darkside    248
6 hours ago, mrnate450r said:

I saw that ad also, it was placed in June, if you check that dealer website they have virtually no inventory...when i was shopping last year, dealers would place ads like that, it is starting price no options, available to order....very misleading... i dont see pricing dropping on new 257 for a while, keep in mind some of the 2017's were just delivered in the past couple weeks. My dealer just got 2 of them in the last couple weeks, one already sold.  So they are not having any trouble selling them, so for why discount?  

10-15% is likely all your going to see on new 2018, even at $120 that compares to 23LSV fairly well, and that is the target.   With 237 having new hull, I don't see big discount coming there either.   217 may be where bargains could be found...

Edited by Darkside

Pnwrider    1
16 hours ago, Cwazy1 said:

I think Trevor Miller's blue '16 237 is going for 91k with 200hours

That still hasn't sold? It's been for sale since last September... 

mrrpfc4    38

Well I made to see the FI and I was not as impressed as I thought I would be, it was a striped model 100g, it seemed basic for $100,000 boat, I did like the looks of the boat a few things I did not like were the  glove box lid seemed very cheaply made, and as mentioned in the earlier review the positioning of the tower just did not seem like it would work to me I was imagining it with a pair of tower speakers are down fire and you would literally have to duck under them if you came on from the back of the boat or maneuver yourself between the speakers, as far as boarding the boat from the side  goes it doesn't seem like it would be very easy  you would pretty much have to board onto the back deck first then into the boat from the back, The vinyl was of course awesome fit and finish looked  good inside but interior room seemed a bit small, I did not do a water test so I cannot comment on the wave  which I'm sure is completely awesome but I don't believe I want to switch from my FS 44 for what I'm told is a wave that is 10% better and seems to be a lesser smaller boat.   For somebody who wants a new boat and an awesome wave and 100,000 is their top limit and does not mind a stripped-down boat I am sure the FI would be great but if you are considering optioning it out it would not cost much more money to get new RI 237 or 2017 RI  

But I did crawl through a 2017 RI257, ? Thinking I may just have to go with one of those

lovetosurf    48

Finally surfed the fi23 this morning and I'm sold! The boat had the 450 motor with a 16x13 prop, full ballast, 5 adults and ran 3200rpm at surf speed up at 5500ft elevation! It's incredibly efficient! I've also seen video of the same boat with the L96 also barely pushing 3200rpm under the same conditions, so I guess there's a lot to be said for the new gear drive ratio, prop size and opti-v hull combination on these boats.

Fit and finish is what you'd expect from centurion, solid and well thought out. I personally prefer the styling of the fi to the ri probably because it's reminiscent of our old Fs33. The ri is no doubt the flagship but the fi offers a new style that works without feeling cheap. Like the depth, not as deep as the Ri but still no bow shots, love the single screen, like the set back tower placement, "rambox" storage is shallow but ideal for shoes & ropes etc. Wish the flip up seats were an option, but maybe they'll add it some time?

Back to performance. Coming from a 2015 Fs33, this boat is amazing. The wave was super clean and well defined (no cats) and effortlessly transitioned from really tall to long workable ride but the star of the show wash the push! I'm only 165lbs, but here's my test, I dropped right to the back in the wash and stood tall, stopped pumping and just let the wave do its thing, it was effortless, seriously the push is great.

So I'd say out of the box this boat performs amazingly well, I imagine a little tweaking would result in nothing short of an epic surf experience, needless to say I think we've found our next boat. Anyone else that's surfed it please share your thoughts.

Big shout out to the @BoardCo crew for the demo, you guys are awesome. Cheers.

InfinitySurf    302

I am looking forward to seeing that boat in person, think my dealer said they should have one soon

Chexi    35

That instagram link did not floor me.  I am confident that the wave can be better.  I have seen waves that good or better on sv230/240 and sv233/244s.  Always tricky on video/pics, but that wave looked fairly ordinary.

Cwazy1    89
2 hours ago, Chexi said:

That instagram link did not floor me.  I am confident that the wave can be better.  I have seen waves that good or better on sv230/240 and sv233/244s.  Always tricky on video/pics, but that wave looked fairly ordinary.

Agree, my 226's wave looks significantly better than that. I think we need to wait for someone to actually dial one of these things in and get some video of it.