MFaso

Upgrading and old sacks...

MFaso    56

Sooooo, if I upgrade to say the wakemakers ballast package... Can I just use the extra 2 sacks I'm replacing as extra sacks when/if I need them? I assume they need to be on the floor but aren't there fittings and a pump I can just throw over?

If not, what are you guys doing with your stock sacks when you upgrade?

Cwazy1    89

Its not quite that easy unfortunately. The male quick connect fittings are glued into the bag. Meaning... you'll have to plug them with bulky female quick connect + cap, or buy attachments for them to be able to connect to an aerator pump.

I put mine in the PnP of another boat.

49faith    4

That's a bummer. I just ordered some 1100's and I wanted to do the same thing. Lead might be easier.

MFaso    56

That's a bummer. I just ordered some 1100's and I wanted to do the same thing. Lead might be easier.

Easier but 1) It's not cheap and 2) you ALWAYS have that weight on the boat whether you are surfing or not. 3) The unfilled bags can be rolled up and put somewhere that won't take up much space.

Oh well.

h20king    794

Fittings can be removed. Use a heat gun to warm up then use a pipe wrench on the fitting to remove but be aware you will destroy the fitting removing it. With that said we use lead for extra weight and have a shop full of old factory sacks.

• Like 2

MFaso    56

I can't believe the same exact size sacks go in the rear lockers of each model.(unless that's an incorrect statement) Why not put the heaviest sacks in the S238 since it is a heavier/bigger boat? I'm sure the cost isn't that big of a deal for them. ($40 a sack difference with whatever their wholesale deal is?)

Edited by MFaso

Cwazy1    89

does this harm the threading on the bag at all?

Fittings can be removed. Use a heat gun to warm up then use a pipe wrench on the fitting to remove but be aware you will destroy the fitting removing it. With that said we use lead for extra weight and have a shop full of old factory sacks.

It makes sense that a bigger discount would apply if they asked a larger quantity of a single size than smaller quantities of multiple. Then the question would arise of whats the optimum size for each boat and making sure thats correct upon delivery. It just adds complexity for something that 90% of their customer base don't care too much about.

Also the 238 would have one of the smaller bags due to its smaller locker size. The 226 would have the biggest bag as it has the biggest rear locker dimensions.

I can't believe the same exact size sacks go in the rear lockers of each model.(unless that's an incorrect statement) Why not put the heaviest sacks in the S238 since it is a heavier/bigger boat? I'm sure the cost isn't that big of a deal for them. ($40 a sack difference with whatever their wholesale deal is?)

h20king    794

No have not harmed the threading on the bags but you do destroy the fitting. They glue them in with PVC glue and don't use primer so heating it up makes the glue more flexible so you can break the seal.

• Like 1

Bongo Fury    640

Yup...we have done this too......

NorSask    16

I will be replacing my stock 550's with upgraded bags when I get home from work on Friday. I was just wondering what fitting I will damage removing the stock ones, and what fitting I will need to pick up to get the new ones plumbed in? I want to make sure I pick up everything I need when my flight lands from work before I make the 3 hour drive to the lake. I meant to take a good look at everything before I left for work last week but didn't end up making it back to the lake before I left. Any info would be great! Thanks!

DjOM21    59

I have sumo 1000s and all I needed was a 4 count of the ronix/sumo to fly high male 1" adapter. 

If you are going fly high then you need a 4 count of w743 I  believe, unless you try the resuse the stock fitting by heating and removing. For $20 bucks I could not be bothered. 

No fittings are damaged as everything is quick release.

Also grab two large hose clamps (4" maybe) and plan to fasten them to the cup holders (on the rear transom) as they will pop out if you fill the bags as full as they will go, at least that was the case with the sumo 1000 @ 22x22x50

Edited by DjOM21

NorSask    16

Right on, thanks! I'm going with the fly high 1100's. I also picked up a couple sets of the engine divider panel savers from wakemakers so going to get those installed before I start seeing how much I can fill the bags. The next couple days of work cant go by fast enough. Cant wait to get home and spend a few days on the water seeing what this thing can do!

Cwazy1    89
2 hours ago, DjOM21 said:

I have sumo 1000s and all I needed was a 4 count of the ronix/sumo to fly high male 1" adapter. 

If you are going fly high then you need a 4 count of w743 I  believe, unless you try the resuse the stock fitting by heating and removing. For $20 bucks I could not be bothered. 

No fittings are damaged as everything is quick release.

Also grab two large hose clamps (4" maybe) and plan to fasten them to the cup holders (on the rear transom) as they will pop out if you fill the bags as full as they will go, at least that was the case with the sumo 1000 @ 22x22x50

That is not correct on the fly high. The w743 is a 1 1/8" quick connect. Our boats run 1" quick connects. 

To clarify:

If you bought brand new 2017 model 1100 fly high, they should be called "fat sac" now, and you need a 1" NPT to 1" quickconnect fitting. ie. (https://www.wakemakers.com/eight3-1-npt-quick-connect-fitting.html) or (https://www.wakemakers.com/launch-pad-1-inch-npt-flow-rite-fitting.html)

If you bought the old pre-2017 model 1100 fly high, then you need a 3/4" NPT to 1" quickconnect fitting. Flyhigh upgraded from 3/4" to 1" this year. You'll need this fitting (https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-w743ss-fitting.html) or (https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-pro-x-series-fitting-w743.html)

Edited by Cwazy1
  • Like 1

NorSask    16

They are the 2017 models. Talked to my dealer this afternoon and they are going to send me all the fittings when they ship the bags tomorrow morning. Hoping to get them swapped out and install the divider panel savers Friday morning and hit the water for the rest of the day to get it dialed in for the weekend! Thanks for you help Cwazy1 and DjOM21!

Edited by NorSask

xj1514    13

This is exactly what I'm having done to my 17' 238. The dealer is installing since it was part of the deal when I ordered the boat, normally I would do it myself just cause' I enjoy working on my toys. 

Now I'm curious which bags I got, old style or new. 

Are you planning in any lead or bags under the seat? I've got 600 lbs of lead ordered and am contemplating 350# sumo bags tied to the 1100's like H2O did on his. 

When I put the 1100 FlyHigh in my rear port locker I bought two new quick connects. It took 1 second to disconnect the old bag, and 2 seconds to screw in the new ones and hook up the ballast lines. They are also cheap. I don't know why anyone would try and "melt" the old ones off. Just buy new ones.

Also, even if you're divider panels are braced from the factory you'll still want to strengthen the front one. And also, PUT LARGER SCREWS IN THE CHANNEL ON THE BOTTOM!!! They'll pop out and ruin your day. The standard ones are tiny and all the weight rips them out. It's a VERY easy swap out. Just take the channel to the store and buy a larger screw.

NorSask    16
8 hours ago, xj1514 said:

This is exactly what I'm having done to my 17' 238. The dealer is installing since it was part of the deal when I ordered the boat, normally I would do it myself just cause' I enjoy working on my toys. 

Now I'm curious which bags I got, old style or new. 

Are you planning in any lead or bags under the seat? I've got 600 lbs of lead ordered and am contemplating 350# sumo bags tied to the 1100's like H2O did on his. 

Its very expensive to get lead shipped up to Canada so my plan is to have a couple of the fly high bricks in the boat with a tsunami pump for extra weight to move around when we have a lighter crew. That will be an extra 310 lbs roughly to move around where needed, the crappy thing is they will have to sit on the seats rather then being stashed away.

27 minutes ago, Specialblend07 said:

When I put the 1100 FlyHigh in my rear port locker I bought two new quick connects. It took 1 second to disconnect the old bag, and 2 seconds to screw in the new ones and hook up the ballast lines. They are also cheap. I don't know why anyone would try and "melt" the old ones off. Just buy new ones.

Also, even if you're divider panels are braced from the factory you'll still want to strengthen the front one. And also, PUT LARGER SCREWS IN THE CHANNEL ON THE BOTTOM!!! They'll pop out and ruin your day. The standard ones are tiny and all the weight rips them out. It's a VERY easy swap out. Just take the channel to the store and buy a larger screw.

Thanks for the heads up! I am putting the wakemakers panel savers on first thing Friday morning before I switch out the bags. And will look at putting larger screws in the channel at the bottom as you suggested. How full are you getting your 1100's?? I have heard mixed reviews on how fulls guys are getting them. And have you got your waves dialed in yet? If so any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm hoping to spend less time trying to dial it in and MORE time surfing this weekend. Thanks!

rrd525    40

SumoMax 850's fit the rear locker perfectly. No issues so far with popping panels, pushing channel, or losing transom cup holders.

• Like 1

stoked    1,039

So a suggestion if you want lead but shipping costs are too much. Try going to your local gun ranges and see if they have any lead they're getting rid of. Unless someone else is taking it, they'll usually give it away for free. Then you can get some sturdy bags off of the interwebs and make your own lead weights

1 hour ago, NorSask said:

Thanks for the heads up! I am putting the wakemakers panel savers on first thing Friday morning before I switch out the bags. And will look at putting larger screws in the channel at the bottom as you suggested. How full are you getting your 1100's?? I have heard mixed reviews on how fulls guys are getting them. And have you got your waves dialed in yet? If so any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm hoping to spend less time trying to dial it in and MORE time surfing this weekend. Thanks!

The panel savers and the larger screws in the channel that the panel fits into on the bottom are very quick and easy to replace. Just find larger screws then a drill bit that's a touch smaller and drill out the holes then screw in the channel with the new screws. Takes five minutes total.

My 1100 will get very full. I usually shut it off just before it pops the locker door open. Definitely gets more than the standard bag and will list the boat more.

I still haven't dialed my wave in as my drain master valves don't work and my new ones get installed on Monday.

Good luck!!