DarksideR

Perfect Pass: GPS vs. Paddlewheel?

DarksideR    1,679

Incredibly close to closing a deal on a new boat.

I've always assumed that all new boats with a speed control unit would be GPS driven. Apparently I was wrong. Not the first time. Lol. GPS is apparently an upgrade. Now my question is this... what do i really want/need? Most of my boating is done on a lake where there isn't really any current. But I can see myself doing more days at the river where there is a current. My google searches have turned up info that if you're dealing with currents, that the paddlewheel version is actually better.

So, what do you have and what do people who have had both prefer?

viking    491

Sorry I won't be much help as I've yet to have a GPS speed control on my boats. I went into the order process with full intent on adding the option but after much debate and list of priorities that one was lower on the todem pole for us based on what they wanted for it so it was left off the build sheet in lieu of other options. I really was not in a position to compare though either because I've never had it. Figured I didn't know what I was missing so let it be :)

OH.........and crossing my fingers for you this time around!!

Edited by viking

Hey Darksider,

What model you look at now? A SS210 or a Supreme?

The rest of the Centurions come standard with GPS Cruise!

duramat    462

you want GPS

Carter13    69

What Matt said.

h20king    794

What they ^^^^ said the Zero off is flawless and can be adjusted to compensate for river current. It works seamless with the digital throttle and is well worth the cost of the upgrade. We went with every option other than the large trailer wheels and stereo upgrade

post-777-0-14363600-1421464443_thumb.jpg

DarksideR    1,679

Just when I think I can save a bit of coin... you guys have to go and ruin it. LOL.

Yeah, it's a 2015 S226. I'd appreciate it if everyone could cross their fingers and toes this time!

Missed out on the free upgrade for Quicksurf too. Gotta act quick to hold on to the boatshow discount!

• Like 2

Bongo Fury    640

Dark...huge difference between the perfect pass on my FalconV and the GPS on the Enzo.....I would do the upgrade for sure!

chadr    328

I agree. GPS is great. I went from paddle wheel to GPS this year and love it!

DarksideR    1,679

Damn you guys. Lol.

Seems pretty unanimous. I'll shake the lint out of my pockets and find the dough.

viking    491

I probably should have too and from the sounds of it likely kick myself. I should have asked around a bit I guess? I can always add it.

But looks like I'd have to change the dash out to do it?

BillC4    24

I had paddle wheel on my cyclone and the GPS on my new boat. My lake does have significant current due to power generation fairly frequently. The paddle wheel actually performed much better than the zero off. Much better.

DarksideR    1,679

Atta boy Bill! Score one for the saving money team! LOL.

See Viking... you'll probably be just fine. And now you get to see.

boatnut    230

I've had both, paddle wheel on my tige and GPS on my campion, I liked the paddle wheel better, as on some lakes the mountains obscured certain satellites and it would sometimes lose the satellite lock

viking    491

AH that's 2 for the paddle wheel. I'm feeling a little bit better!

h20king    794

Gps speed control can be set to RPM mode .I have had them all and by far the best system is the zero off

DarksideR    1,679

Gps speed control can be set to RPM mode .I have had them all and by far the best system is the zero off

Ahh, but paddlewheel can be set to RPM mode too by the look of things. While I can appreciate that GPS is probably the better of the two, I think I'll be just fine with the paddlewheel. More fingers to cross! LOL

dejoeco    59

You will have a more accurate speed with the GPS. This makes it easier to go from boat to boat and know exactly what speed you are wanting to ride.

BillC4    24

What is important to the skier/surfer/wakeboarder is the speed relative to the water speed. In my case, I live on a lake that can have pretty strong currents, therefore the paddle wheel is better. Otherwise I have to guess speed changes upstream to downstream. My preference was the paddle wheel. Recreational not competition riders.

• Like 1

h20king    794

You will be fine with the paddle wheel .all systems work good .my buddy has the paddle wheel on his 226 and it works just fine

• Like 1