Tswicegood

Boat Leaking today while on the lake. Look at picture, What is this?

Tswicegood    0

Last weekend I noticed a bunch of water in the hull of my boat, enough to make the bilge come on. I went back out on the lake today with a flash light and started looking and this is what I found, see the attach picture. The picture is of the drive shaft right up from where it goes through the bottom of the boat. How serious is this? What is it? AND How do I fix it? Any advice would be GREAT!!

Tswicegood    0

See below picture!

post-2294-0-10784300-1337476804_thumb.jpg

1911    4

That's the packing nut. It looks like the kind that you can grease. There should be a zerk fitting on the brass part somewhere. Pump some grease in there and it should be good. At least I think that's how those ones work. I don't have a grease able one.

superdtf    68

That's the packing nut. It looks like the kind that you can grease. There should be a zerk fitting on the brass part somewhere. Pump some grease in there and it should be good. At least I think that's how those ones work. I don't have a grease able one.

^^ That's right. Grease it and it "should" be good. For about half of us, it was not properly aligned at the factory, so it will NEVER be good. If that turns out to be your case, grease it, a lot, until you get sick of it, and then replace it with the PSS dripless shaft seal. Then it really will be dripless and you won't have to grease it all the time.

I'm still greasing mine every two weeks. If you get a lube accessory kit from your favorite cheap chinese tool store, it makes the job a lot easier. I hope I get to the PSS seal this year... always too much to do.

duramat    462

^^ That's right. Grease it and it "should" be good. For about half of us, it was not properly aligned at the factory, so it will NEVER be good. If that turns out to be your case, grease it, a lot, until you get sick of it, and then replace it with the PSS dripless shaft seal. Then it really will be dripless and you won't have to grease it all the time.

I'm still greasing mine every two weeks. If you get a lube accessory kit from your favorite cheap chinese tool store, it makes the job a lot easier. I hope I get to the PSS seal this year... always too much to do.

X2

I know when greasing mine, I remove that little friggin screw (dont lose it) and pump the grease in to get some fresh grease in it. I put a wrag/towell under the that cause it'll get messy.

swicegk    0

Will it hurt anything if I go to the lake today.?

swicegk    0

For anyone who knows. What is the purpose of the rubber hose attached to the brass coupling in the first picture? Is that for greasing? Also why is water coming from the seal? Is water used as a lube? Just trying to understand the function.

bobback    3

I'm having a flashback to last summer...hopefully it'll just take some grease; otherwise you need a new shaftseal.

DarksideR    1,679

I believe water comes down that little tube from the exhaust manifold to lube the shaft.

Tswicegood    0

I put some grease in the fitting today and took her to the lake...still leaking! Guess I need a new seal! The boat only has 68 hours on it.

PayCheck    20

i have the same problem, we replaced some little rubber seal last summer, what kind of grease to we put in the shaft though?? and ours squeaks rarely too. kinda annoying

Tswicegood    0

I got Marine Grade Grease at Auto Zone.

enzo101mo    98

My Brother's enzo has the same problem. He got it fix last year after they realigned the engine and the shaft. He called me up last Thrusday and said it's happening again. He has a 2010 with the PMC engine and I told him my 2005 enzo never has had that problem. Do all Centurions have this type of seal or is it only on the later models?

Avalanche1    0

So i think I may be having the same issue. 2011 Avy c4 PCM 343. I just put it back in the water tonight after having my ballast upgraded and now there is some water in the bilge. How can I tell if this is the issue or maybe there is just a tank that is leaking? Over this past weekend (before the ballast install) after about 5 hours on the water it did kick the bilge on, first time and I had no issue with it last year. Is it still ok to be on the water...big weekend coming up and I would hate to be landlocked?

bobback    3

So i think I may be having the same issue. 2011 Avy c4 PCM 343. I just put it back in the water tonight after having my ballast upgraded and now there is some water in the bilge. How can I tell if this is the issue or maybe there is just a tank that is leaking? Over this past weekend (before the ballast install) after about 5 hours on the water it did kick the bilge on, first time and I had no issue with it last year. Is it still ok to be on the water...big weekend coming up and I would hate to be landlocked?

The shaft seal usually starts leaking right away; based on my experience. You can leave the boat on the trailer and back into the water and just look at the shaft seal. I would imagine fine to be on the water as long as it doesn't start leaking to bad and the bilge can't keep up.

superdtf    68

That's right. You grease it, it improves, but doesn't really get fixed. Then it leaks like before. Getting steadily worse. Your bilge runs on take-off, it's always wet in there. It sucks. I can't imagine the bozo that thought that was a good design.

The only proven repair for this is to replace it with the PSS shaft seal. H did a full write up: http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/4354-pss-shaft-seal-install/

Tswicegood    0

I have the PCM 343 in my boat. Once the boat hits the water and I back it off the trailer the boat starts leaking. If you flip the seat back where you would get to the center plug and take a flash light and stick your head down in the opening you can see the leak from the shaft seal. I called Centurion and even though my boat only has 68 hours on it they will not warranty it.

harlobra    24

Should you grease it if it's not leaking or just leave it alone and hope it doesn't start?