775surfer    0

So.... The guy that I bought my boat from doesn't appear to be the brightest crayon in the box. He installed (or had installed) an OJ 14.25 x 14 prop onto a boat that can handle up to a 13.5 diameter prop. Needless to say, I have a nasty little gouge in the hull where the prop had it's way with the gel coat and fiberglass.

Luckily! I have a contact who sells boats for a local dealership and he is setting me up with the guy that does all of his repairs. I am going to have him leave a small depression, where the damage currently is, so that I will not run into any "burning" of the gel coat when I put on a 13.5 prop.

I have contacted ACME and narrowed it down to either the 1619 or the 1579, since I am going to do a complete ballast overhaul this winter and add 2850 lbs. of weight. I am not sure which prop I am going to get yet, because I will not know for another couple of weeks if I am staying here in Reno or moving to Portland. (4000ft elevation change) But I do know that I am going to sell the OJ, but unclear as to which boats it will fit on. If anyone can point me in the right direction of where to market it, or wants a prop to modify, I am willing to let it go for a good price.

post-3465-0-58113700-1324516185_thumb.jpgpost-3465-0-45804000-1324516141_thumb.jpg

doug743    53

how did he even get it on there. it had to be hitting when he installed it

h20king    794

Bro keep us informed if you move to Portland we have a great surf group up here and always have room for one more.As for what the prop will fit it works on mastercrafts,Malibu and i think supra as well.Try listing it on wake world you will get more hits as its a non denominational boat and wake forum.......................................................H

775surfer    0

how did he even get it on there. it had to be hitting when he installed it

I think that is the part that I am most confused by. There is no way that he could have not realized that it was going to hit. My only thought is that he had someone else put it on and once the damage was done he left it.

775surfer    0

H,

I will definitely let you know if the move works out or not, just waiting to hear back on if I will get the job I am trying for. Always lookin for some new people to ride with. Thanks for the heads up on wake world.

duffymahoney    10

Did the blades get bent forward? Nasty either way.

775surfer    0

Nope. The blades look in prestine condition, which I am surprised by. And there was no vibration or any problems on the lake. Ran like a dream.

duramat    462

Nope. The blades look in prestine condition, which I am surprised by. And there was no vibration or any problems on the lake. Ran like a dream.

I can't understand how that blade ain't bent! ??

775surfer    0

Maybe he bent the first one doing the damage and then replaced it with the same size. Haha.

I will take a pic of the prop this afternoon and post it just for some opinions, maybe I am just overlooking something. There are also a couple of small stress cracks near the rudder, but no damage to the rudder at all. Those will be fixed when this damage is taken care of.

PayCheck    20

whoever installed that props a bonehead, i would contact acme directly and ask them what prop to use. or any professional surfer or wakeboarder (if you know any) could tell you.

duffymahoney    10

I had the exact same issue on a prior boat, it was actually a bent strut and shaft caused the blade to come to close to the hull. How does the strut look? I thought some people were running larger diameter props on the new centurions?

DarksideR    1,679

I think the new Centurions have a concave just above the prop in the hull to allow a slightly bigger prop.

duramat    462

I think the new Centurions have a concave just above the prop in the hull to allow a slightly bigger prop.

That or also to help with the burn that some have been experiencing

duramat    462

Double post

Edited by duramat

775surfer    0

I contacted acme a couple of weeks ago to check the prop size and they said that the biggest prop that would safely run on there is a 13.5 diameter, so this one is just too big. I had the strut and shaft checked out here locally and they are aligned and have no extra movement in them. The guy could find no problems in the system, so I think it was ignorance that caused this issue. :wallbash:

Here are some pictures of the prop, it looks completely undamaged.

post-3465-0-79604800-1325097303_thumb.jpg post-3465-0-01655000-1325097264_thumb.jpg

Edited by 775surfer

Spud    7

That is strange, you would think even if he did replace the prop after the initial slicing that he would have at least gone with a 13.5. Sorry to hear your issues, would love to see the repair pics when it's done. Are you going to call the seller and give him your honest personal opinion? :rant:

775surfer    0

I will definitely put up the pictures when it is repaired. (with the new concave in it) Just a bummer that it is putting my ballast overhaul on hold for the moment, but I am at least putting in the order for the three new bags tonite so I have the motivation to get it all done. I called the previous owner and left a message, so just waiting to hear back from him.... :unsure:

I have a 1579 I would sell.

Thanks for the offer duffy, but I just got word about the job near Portland, and it looks like I will be staying here in Reno for the time being. So I am going to go with the 1619 for the higher elevation.

Wiggles    2

I have a 1579 I would sell.

Hey Duffy,

I may be interested in that prop come spring if you still have it.... got to get the boat fund up for spring mods first though LOL