stoked

Tips for first timers in the water

stoked    1,039

I'm taking a couple of friends out tomorrow that do fairly well when they're up, where they struggle is in the water getting their feet set. They're bigger guys so when ever they put their feet up on the board, they go underwater. I give them some gear so they can pull against the boat, but it never seems to help. So what always seems to happen is once they get their feet on the board, they give the node and end up with their heels on the edge. I've tried getting them to put their heels in the right spot and pushing down to flip the board up, but they struggle with that as well. I think flexibility (lack there of) plays a lot into it as well

So I wanted to poll all of you, anyone have any good tips or tricks for getting beginning surfers feet set right in the water without drowning them or pulling them backwards across the lake?

CO Surfer    289

My wife and daughter still flip the board up with their free hand (non dominant hand). As soon as I see them move that hand to the handle, I give it throttle. Have no idea if that tactic would work with bigger guys who don't have a lot of flexibility.

Cdifranco    463

Stoked, I find timing is key for me. My girlfriend is one of those people who won't get up unless the timing is right and looks like she's drowning during the process. Having the boat in the proper position right when their feet are lined up and then where I don't have to drag them over the wave but can keep them outside of it untill it forms, nothing worse than a newbie going from 0-15mph dropping down a 4' wave and just yardsailing. The basics are the basics and they should be taught, I know you know what those are but other than that practice practice practice patience patience patience haha

Edited by Cdifranco

DarksideR    1,679

Could always try to start with the board fully submerged under their feet. ie. standing on the board under water. This of coarse brings a whole different set of issues and possibly higher degree of difficulty. But, they won't submerge their heads!

Are they wearing proper PFD's or just comp vests?

stoked    1,039

Definitely coast guard approved vests. I picked up some new ones that look more buoyant. We've been finding this year that the hardest part for new people is in the water

DarksideR    1,679

Yeah, they often can't get the board square to the direction of the rope. Was interesting watching my son go from struggling to gain control in the water to having complete and precise control.

• Like 1

DrNate    426

I've taught a hundred people how to start, from kids to very large adults. All of the above is good advice. Only thing I would add is have them watch YOU get up and when you do, exaggerate the flipping of the board onto your feet and staying squatted over the board until you begin to plane.

• Like 4

wakemitch    15

It's easier to teach people on boards that don't float as much. Heavy and thin boards flip up really easy for first timers.

jester    111

New people in the water is hard. What I do is have the person float on their back without the board. get them use to floating in the water. Next we have them rest their heels on the swim platform (surf side since it is below water line) Get them use to this then move them to the board and just have them float. No rope to start off with. Once we have them floating we add in the rope. Now comes the fun timing part. I put the boat in gear to give a little pressure on the board so they can dig their heels down and flip up the board. Once I see the board is up I power up until they are up of playing fish on the line. Now the board makes a big difference in getting a person up. To big of a board and they cannot flip it up, to small of a board and they will sink or shoot it out when they try to get up. Right now my success rate is about 75% for the year on new people. Tomorrow I am doing Wake the World so I am hopping I can have a 100% for the day.

Bongo Fury    640

Stoked, I find timing is key for me. My girlfriend is one of those people who won't get up unless the timing is right and looks like she's drowning during the process. Having the boat in the proper position right when their feet are lined up and then where I don't have to drag them over the wave but can keep them outside of it untill it forms, nothing worse than a newbie going from 0-15mph dropping down a 4' wave and just yardsailing. The basics are the basics and they should be taught, I know you know what those are but other than that practice practice practice patience patience patience haha

Agree 100% timing is the key....when a new rider is having trouble sometimes we do what we call a rolling start......once they know where to put thier feet etc....we set the rider out as far as we can to the port side to get them out of the wave as it forms....we come by them very slowly....boat in neutral as we go by...rope gets tossed to them as early as possible as we come by....as rider gets set up we slip it in to gear and as the rope tightens we go.......we have gotten pretty good at this and it has worked well for us.

Edited by Bongo Fury

h20king    794

When we teach a new rider we start them off climbing on the board. We have them float holding the board in front of them with the handle centered on the board. We put the boat in gear once the rope has some tension we have them flip the board with the off hand. On the regular side flip with left hand and put back foot on followed by the front. Goofy is opposite flip with right hand and climb on front foot first. The slight pressure of the boat in gear will hold the board against the feet and allow the rider to then grab the handle with both hands. We reminded them to stay squatted tell outside the wake and to turn their head and look where they want to go and the board will follow. When they say they are ready I slowly add throttle making sure to not form the wave tell the rider is outside the wake. This has worked super we'll for us and gets them up within the first couple pulls. Once we get them ropeless then we teach them how to flip the board with their feet.

• Like 1

CO Surfer    289

^^^^This^^^

daz28iroc    73

No ballast.

Toes to the sky and relax, no effort, get calm.

Push heels into board.

Best words of advice has always been lift with ur midsection towards the handle.

• Like 1

jester    111

So our best words of advice are "You are not in catholic school any more so spread your legs"

• Like 4

truekaotik    458

Daz stated most of our way, beside we are slammed...