mylesm260

Need to tow SV240 W/ Tahoe: load distribution hitch need

mylesm260    0

If it's a 1500 truck, you can install a class V hitch with conventional rating to 10000 pounds.

It came with a class V hitch rated for 10,000 lbs from the factory..... But it's still limited to 5000 as a load carrying hitch.

sticker.jpg

someone prove me wrong, but you won't be able to find a hitch made for a 1/2 ton rated for more than 5,000 load carrying.

h20king    794

what he ^^^^ said. I have never seen a wake boat with a distribution hitch. just get a class V hitch and call it good. surprised yours did not come with one. I had an 08 GMC 1/2 ton and it came with a class V hitch.

volzalum    280

I believe the stock hitch is a class III/IV ...

Here are several rated for greater than 5000 weight carrying for 1500 series GMC Sierras

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2011_GMC_Sierra.htm

Edit. I do see the picture says it's a Class V. So put a different class V on it that is rated correctly.

Edited by volzalum
  • Like 1

Dandy    43

My buddy and I no longer have our 1 ton pickup, and now need to tow our SV240 with 1/2 ton SUV's.

Because our SV240 + trailer is 6,000lbs in order to tow with a 1/2ton, we need a distro hitch system.

Before I buy all the bits, I figured I would come on here and ask if anyone's had to deal with this before, and if so, what their solution was.

Here's the links to all the bits I *think* will work for our setup, but I need to measure before I buy.

The distro hitch itself: https://www.etrailer.com/p-RP66153.html

The adapter to works with the enzo trailer's breakaway tongue (I need to measure this first): https://www.etrailer.com/p-RP58393.html

The ball: https://www.etrailer.com/p-A-90.html

A new master because the old one got water in it: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089J7GJW/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

I think the final result will look something like this: (although I couldn't find a pic of my exact style of trailer / tongue / master cylinder setup)

distro.jpg

What year, make and model is your tow vehicle in question?

h20king    794

also your enzo with trailer is not much over the 5000 lb rating and the tongue weight is less than 600 LBS. I think you are over thinking this or most boat owners are under thinking it. LOL

h20king    794

Volz has the right idea change out the hitch. Its only $170 and bumps you up to 1000 LBS tongue weight and 10.000 trailer weight

mylesm260    0

I believe the stock hitch is a class III/IV ...

Here are several rated for greater than 5000 weight carrying for 1500 series GMC Sierras

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2011_GMC_Sierra.htm

Edit. I do see the picture says it's a Class V. So put a different class V on it that is rated correctly.

That's probably because they work on the 2500's as well.

GM's own documentation for the sierra 1500 says:

sierra.jpg

These charts are for use with a weight-distributing hitch. When using a weight-carrying hitch, the maximum trailer weight is 5000 lbs and a 600-lb trailer tongue weight. A weight-distributing hitch and sway control are required for trailer weights greater than 5000 lbs.

http://www.gmc.com/content/dam/GMC/global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Tools/Download_A_Brochure/01_Images/2014-gmc-trailering-guide.pdf

And not to mention... did you read this?

http://www.equipmentworld.com/know-your-limits-towing-more-than-5k-pounds-with-a-half-ton-pickup-is-against-the-law/

Edited by mylesm260

Rhale    80

Agreed on the hitch class:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-hitchclasses.aspx

and I'm not sure after reading that link on towing limits if it's being correctly interpreted. If every 1/2 ton pick up was legally only supposed to tow 5000lbs without a W/D hitch we'd see a trail of trucks being pulled over on the side of the road being inspected and ticketed. I think it comes down to what is labeled on your hitch per your vehicle. My '14 Tundra has no such sticker on the hitch. It's welded into the frame from the factory. Nothing on Toyota's website or paperwork state that anything over 5000lbs needs a weight distributing hitch, but in your case it is stated. So if an accident occurs, you may very well be liable. That being said, I doubt most state troopers/local law enforcement would even think of this issue. It's not as if your towing a 5th wheel with a Chevy Colorado.

Frustrating and vague to say the least.

Edited by Rhale

mylesm260    0

Agreed on the hitch class:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-hitchclasses.aspx

and I'm not sure after reading that link on towing limits if it's being correctly interpreted. If every 1/2 ton pick up was legally only supposed to tow 5000lbs without a W/D hitch we'd see a trail of trucks being pulled over on the side of the road being inspected and ticketed. I think it comes down to what is labeled on your hitch per your vehicle. My '14 Tundra has no such sticker on the hitch. It's welded into the frame from the factory. Nothing on Toyota's website or paperwork state that anything over 5000lbs needs a weight distributing hitch, but in your case it is stated. So if an accident occurs, you may very well be liable. That being said, I doubt most state troopers/local law enforcement would even think of this issue. It's not as if your towing a 5th wheel with a Chevy Colorado.

Frustrating and vague to say the least.

Very frustrating. BTW, I found this about your '14 tundra.

http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/2014-toyota-tundra-towing-capacity/

For example, according to the 2013/2014 Toyota Tundra owner’s manual, all models are still required to have a weight-distributing hitch when towing trailers that have a loaded weight of more than 5,000 pounds.

2014-Tundra-Tow-Capacity-chart.jpg

“If the gross trailer weight is over 5000 lb. (2268 kg), a weight distributing hitch with sufficient capacity is required,” says the owner’s manual under “Weight Limits” on page 276.

The owner’s manual also says Tundras towing trailers that weigh more than 2,0oo pounds requires the use of a “sway control” device.

So you would "legally?" need a sway controlling load distribution hitch to tow more than 5,000 lbs

And even if you were towing a 14' aluminum boat that was 3,500 boat + trailer, you would need sway control.

And this is the part of the article that I'm concerned about:

Towing without the proper trailering equipment places the driver in a serious liabilitysituation should an accident occur and serious injuries (or worse) happen.

Edited by mylesm260

mylesm260    0

here's another good article:

http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/pickup-trucks-tow-ratings-and-liability/

"To tow a trailer exceeding the above weights mandates the use of a weight-distributing/load-equalizing hitch. No “ifs,” “ands,” or “buts” are found anywhere in those vehicle manufacturer’s limitations."

“No matter what hitch, suspension, brake, cooling, or engine upgrades you make to your pickup, its towing and load-carrying limits can’t change once it leaves the assembly line.”

"And don’t think adding a heavier-duty hitch changes the limits set by the vehicle manufacturer: The only authority legally able to alter a pickup’s tow rating limits is the vehicle manufacturer."

"
Another often-missed towing caveat in the vehicle owner’s manual is the necessity to use a “sway-control device” on all towed loads beyond a certain weight. Again, this equates to using a weight-distributing hitch, which is a sway-control device."

So yeah. according to that article, and the owners guide for your yota, you basically need a distro hitch for anything over 2,000 lbs. poohey.

And have a look at fords ratings for the year the article was done.

Note the weight limits for the 1/2tons.

Screen-shot-2011-06-20-at-3.06.02-PM.png

Edited by mylesm260

Dandy    43

At this point it seems very clear that mylesm260 has determined that the weight distribution hitch is needed for his application. He has picked out the correct WDH as it is one of the few rated to work with surge brakes and should keep his tow rig working within the factory guidelines for safe towing and minimize risk of a significant lawsuit should an accident occur. In today's day and age, we all have to consider our potential liability risk.

I believe a lot of folks are not setting up their tow rigs properly (check out a lot of RVs on the road). This truly is a really grey area and I have actually seen this topic covered on other boat & rv forums as well. I don't entirely agree that a 1/2ton is legally bound to 5000 lbs without WDH based on the quote in the link. Regardless, everyone should check the specifics on their rigs for the max tow rating and any requirements in fine print to reach it.

With boats, we are in even a more grey area in that the vehicles in many cases require WDH to achieve the safe tow capacity but the trailer design or manufacturer does not allow for WDH and keep braking. The best solution would be electric over hydraulic or all electric brakes on these trailers.

On a side note, many of the trailer manufacturers trailers are not actually built to safely handle the boat that sits on top of it. Either the axels are not rated high enough or the total of the tire capacity does not equate to the total overall weight of the boat, fuel, gear and trailer that the tires are supporting. One more thing for everyone to look at.

boatnut    230

On all general motors vehicles there is a sticker on the hitch, that tells you what you can safely tow, ball or weight dist.. b8b8a612099b8d2f5539c1f71b3184d5.jpg502fd35faa4f3cf3b23baf38e51a0dd4.jpg The first is, from a 2003 dually and the second Is from my 2012 Tahoe

mylesm260    0

At this point it seems very clear that mylesm260 has determined that the weight distribution hitch is needed for his application. He has picked out the correct WDH as it is one of the few rated to work with surge brakes and should keep his tow rig working within the factory guidelines for safe towing and minimize risk of a significant lawsuit should an accident occur. In today's day and age, we all have to consider our potential liability risk.

I believe a lot of folks are not setting up their tow rigs properly (check out a lot of RVs on the road). This truly is a really grey area and I have actually seen this topic covered on other boat & rv forums as well. I don't entirely agree that a 1/2ton is legally bound to 5000 lbs without WDH based on the quote in the link. Regardless, everyone should check the specifics on their rigs for the max tow rating and any requirements in fine print to reach it.

With boats, we are in even a more grey area in that the vehicles in many cases require WDH to achieve the safe tow capacity but the trailer design or manufacturer does not allow for WDH and keep braking. The best solution would be electric over hydraulic or all electric brakes on these trailers.

On a side note, many of the trailer manufacturers trailers are not actually built to safely handle the boat that sits on top of it. Either the axels are not rated high enough or the total of the tire capacity does not equate to the total overall weight of the boat, fuel, gear and trailer that the tires are supporting. One more thing for everyone to look at.

Some WDH do work with surge brakes.

They having springs capable of sliding forwards and backwards to allow the master cylinder to work.

The one I linked at the beginning of this thread specifically mentions it works with surge brakes,

And having researched this enough, I AM 99% certain that there are no half-tons rated for more than 5K without a WDH. Every example that's been thrown around on this thread, I've been able to find documentation that supports the 1/2ton 5,000 rule.

And I agree with you about boats and trailers....

my 21' elite V was only 5,000 and but my 24' enzo with a wider beam, a bigger trailer, etc etc is only supposed to be 6,000? something doesn't add up. I haven't taken it on the scales yet, but I bet it's 6,500 at least with fuel and gear.

All the more reason to have a proper distro hitch......

And distro vs non distro isn't really based on the strength of the hitch, or the load capacity of the rear axle (although in both those cases, there are minimums that need to be met), it's based on the balance of the tow vehicle.

As you add more weight to the ball of a trailer, your adding weight to the rear axle, yes, but without a distro hitch, you're subtracting weight from the front axle.

Too much dynamic weight bouncing around without the distro hitch, and your front tires could become light enough that you may no longer be able to steer/stop in an emergency....

I mean, it's all fine and good until something bad happens, but once it does, you might very well be in an accident with no insurance coverage....

volzalum    280

On my trailer, the weight distribution would not effect it positively due to the length of my swing tongue. I believe boat trailers are manufactured as a weight distributed load from the inception. If any weight was taken off my tongue and put to the wheels, I believe it would create sway for my boat. Have you contacted your trailer manufacturer and asked their opinion on how it would impact the trailer? Maybe they'd give you a certificate that's stars weight distributed as designed. The models you showed still attach to the same hitch as the ball.

shawndoggy    49

I mean, it's all fine and good until something bad happens, but once it does, you might very well be in an accident with no insurance coverage....

Please explain the basis for this statement. The whole reason everyone is required to have insurance is so there is coverage when an injury results from someone's negligence. My insurance company wouldn't deny a claim that resulted from me being high on crack and driving blindfolded, so why would they deny a claim based on a poor towing setup? You may be right that there's negligence, and that I would be liable, but isn't that the whole reason we have insurance to begin with? If insurance didn't cover losses resulting from negligence, what's the point?

Shaka    146

Hmmmm, Towing my SV230 with my Titan without distro. Never had a problem. Am I going to die?

boatnut    230

Please explain the basis for this statement. The whole reason everyone is required to have insurance is so there is coverage when an injury results from someone's negligence. My insurance company wouldn't deny a claim that resulted from me being high on crack and driving blindfolded, so why would they deny a claim based on a poor towing setup? You may be right that there's negligence, and that I would be liable, but isn't that the whole reason we have insurance to begin with? If insurance didn't cover losses resulting from negligence, what's the point?

Insurance is there just in case, in other words you have to take due care and show that your in compliance.... In other words safety chains, brakes on certain trailers over a certain GVW, if your high on crack or under the influence and that's proven your insurance claim will be denied and that has been proven many times over, with people losing everything to fight it... But it all boils down to making sure you have the right tool for the right job....... And I think the underlying issue comes down too.. If you don't have the vehicle or trailer or hitch setup.... What's it worth to you or the loved ones riding or travelling with you?

h20king    794

Hmmmm, Towing my SV230 with my Titan without distro. Never had a problem. Am I going to die?

yep just a mater of time if you don't get a distro. hitch LOL

Skibumm    184

Well this topic certainly has legs. I'm not even sure my FJ is a 1/2 ton that I pull mine with. Granted I would not need WDH for it anyway as but I feel the difference between towing with the FJ versus the wife's Yukon.

shawndoggy    49

Insurance is there just in case, in other words you have to take due care and show that your in compliance.... In other words safety chains, brakes on certain trailers over a certain GVW, if your high on crack or under the influence and that's proven your insurance claim will be denied and that has been proven many times over, with people losing everything to fight it... But it all boils down to making sure you have the right tool for the right job....... And I think the underlying issue comes down too.. If you don't have the vehicle or trailer or hitch setup.... What's it worth to you or the loved ones riding or travelling with you?

You should be able to provide some citations to authority then, right? Actual cases where this has happened?