mylesm260

Need to tow SV240 W/ Tahoe: load distribution hitch need

mylesm260    0

My buddy and I no longer have our 1 ton pickup, and now need to tow our SV240 with 1/2 ton SUV's.

Because our SV240 + trailer is 6,000lbs in order to tow with a 1/2ton, we need a distro hitch system.

Before I buy all the bits, I figured I would come on here and ask if anyone's had to deal with this before, and if so, what their solution was.

Here's the links to all the bits I *think* will work for our setup, but I need to measure before I buy.

The distro hitch itself: https://www.etrailer.com/p-RP66153.html

The adapter to works with the enzo trailer's breakaway tongue (I need to measure this first): https://www.etrailer.com/p-RP58393.html

The ball: https://www.etrailer.com/p-A-90.html

A new master because the old one got water in it: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089J7GJW/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

I think the final result will look something like this: (although I couldn't find a pic of my exact style of trailer / tongue / master cylinder setup)

distro.jpg

Edited by mylesm260

RVR-RAT    269

I didn't look into your links before posting , but make sure you get a hitch that will not take the use of your surge brakes away. I believe there are a couple that supposedly are compatible with surge brakes

chadr    328

I agree with what RVR says! Make sure it doesn't affect your braking.

Also, look into installing air bags on the suspension. They are amazing on what they can do and they may be cheaper than the hitch setup. You can get them automated or manually filled to where you just fill them up like your tires. Automated is more expensive due to the pumps and other equipment that you have to get installed.

I think our company uses these guys!

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/air_lift_suspension.html

Edited by chadr

volzalum    280

I just put the AirRide suspension under my truck. It took my about 10 hours to install. I went with the SmartAir dual path auto leveling setup. It made a world of difference on my 1500 Sierra Denali AWD.

If I were to do it over though, I would install the Dual Path wireless compressor system so I could see the pressure in the shocks and have manual control to raise the truck or lower it. The auto adjust just has one set point and it keeps the truck at that height.

It cost me 850 dollars in parts on Amazon.

mylesm260    0

This distro hitch is in fact surge brake compatible. (one of the few, but pricey)

Air bags may physically help, but it won't change the legal limit of a 1/2 ton truck/suv only being able to tow 5K on the ball (without a distro).

In fact, the tahoe has airbags from the factory already (it's an 09' hybrid)

volzalum    280

This distro hitch is in fact surge brake compatible. (one of the few, but pricey)

Air bags may physically help, but it won't change the legal limit of a 1/2 ton truck/suv only being able to tow 5K on the ball (without a distro).

In fact, the tahoe has airbags from the factory already (it's an 09' hybrid)

The hybrid Tahoe does not have air suspension, and is rated at 6000 pounds total whether weight distributed or not. I had an '08 hybrid.

RVR-RAT    269

and is rated at 6000 pounds total whether weight distributed or not. .

^^ YEP ^^

mylesm260    0

The tahoe is based on a half ton, and to my knowledge, by definition, a half ton cannot tow more than 5,000 on the ball without a distro hitch.

http://www.equipmentworld.com/know-your-limits-towing-more-than-5k-pounds-with-a-half-ton-pickup-is-against-the-law/

Not to mention, here's a pic of the load limit sticker.
And your right, this particular tahoe doesn't have bags, but the last one he had did (I think it was an 07 non hybrid)

sticker.jpg

Edited by mylesm260

mylesm260    0

I've researched this quite a bit and talked to my insurance broker.

the ONLY suv's that can (legal) tow >5,000 without a distro hitch are those based on 3/4 and 1 ton's

Basically just Suburban's Excursions and Yukon XL's (I might be missing some, but you get the idea).

I wouldn't be going through all the screwing around of a disto system if I didn't think it was necessary.

And the other true way to find out is to look at the sticker on the hitch.

Hitches that are made for 1/2 ton or lesser SUV's will never have a sticker on them higher than 5,000 as a weight carrying hitch. (as far as I know)

Hitches that are specifically made for 3/4 ton and up will.

chadr    328

Our 07 Yukon Denali is supposed to be rated at 7900 lbs on the half ton chassis!

I wonder what the sticker says?

Edited by chadr

mylesm260    0

Our 07 Yukon Denali is supposed to be rated at 7900 lbs on the half ton chassis! I wonder what the sticker says?

I would love to be wrong, and not need to spend the time and $ on a distro setup, but I'm willing to bet your hitch says 5,000 max as a weight carrying, and if you ever got in an accident (while towing more than 5K) and someone sued you / your insurance company that they *could* figure it out and just pass the lawsuit onto you.....

Edited by mylesm260

FargoDawg    8

get a Toyota, my Crew max is rated at 10K. its a 2010, built like a tank underneath. ceramic brakes

buying a new truck is fun.... :thumbsup:

mylesm260    0

get a Toyota, my Crew max is rated at 10K. its a 2010, built like a tank underneath. ceramic brakes

buying a new truck is fun.... :thumbsup:

It's still a 1/2 ton which means it still can't tow more than 5K without a distro hitch..... I'm pretty sure....

FargoDawg    8

unless that's a state law or something. i'm just talking about rating, its rated for 9700 or some crazy number like that. this is the '11 sheet

Maximum V8 Towing Capacity*

10,400 lbs.

10,100 lbs.

9,900 lbs.

10,100 lbs.

9,800 lbs.

9,000 lbs.

Gross Combined Weight Rating (4x2 & 4x4 with Tow Package)

16,000 lbs.

16,000 lbs.

16,000 lbs.

16,000 lbs.

16,000 lbs.

16,000 lbs

sorry, I copy pasted a big page that I wasn't about to leave. these are the different models, IE 4x2 reg cab, 4x4 reg, 4x4 crewmax etc....

Edited by FargoDawg

volzalum    280

The tahoe is based on a half ton, and to my knowledge, by definition, a half ton cannot tow more than 5,000 on the ball without a distro hitch.http://www.equipmentworld.com/know-your-limits-towing-more-than-5k-pounds-with-a-half-ton-pickup-is-against-the-law/

Not to mention, here's a pic of the load limit sticker.

And your right, this particular tahoe doesn't have bags, but the last one he had did (I think it was an 07 non hybrid)sticker.jpg

Just know that the hybrid Tahoe applies the standard Tahoe sticker on to the hitch. The manual for the hybrid explicitly states the vehicle must be limited to 6000 pounds towing. It has the HP for more with the 6.0L engine, but the hybrid tranny is not rated higher. And it's a very expensive fix if the tranny is damaged.

mylesm260    0

unless that's a state law or something. i'm just talking about rating, its rated for 9700 or some crazy number like that. this is the '11 sheet

Maximum V8 Towing Capacity*

10,400 lbs.

10,100 lbs.

9,900 lbs.

10,100 lbs.

9,800 lbs.

9,000 lbs.

Gross Combined Weight Rating (4x2 & 4x4 with Tow Package)

16,000 lbs.

16,000 lbs.

16,000 lbs.

16,000 lbs.

16,000 lbs.

16,000 lbs

sorry, I copy pasted a big page that I wasn't about to leave. these are the different models, IE 4x2 reg cab, 4x4 reg, 4x4 crewmax etc....

Yup, lots of half tons can tow well over 10K, but as far as I know they all need distro hitches or 5th wheel's to do it.

And it's not state law, it's federal law. A half ton cannot tow more than 5,000 with a standard hitch and ball setup.

mylesm260    0

Just know that the hybrid Tahoe applies the standard Tahoe sticker on to the hitch. The manual for the hybrid explicitly states the vehicle must be limited to 6000 pounds towing. It has the HP for more with the 6.0L engine, but the hybrid tranny is not rated higher. And it's a very expensive fix if the tranny is damaged.

To tell you the truth, I think it's 5,900 max towing, 100lbs more than the stated weight of the trailer. I wasn't going to fret about he 100lbs though.

The sticker even says vehicle maximum trailer rating may be less (which is certainly is). They probably just used a generic OEM gm 5,000 / 10,000 hitch on the tahoe, the same one they might use on a base model 5.3L pickup.

The important thing is that it still can't tow more than 5K without a distro.....

volzalum    280

Since you are talking the hybrid Tahoe, I would just replace the Class III hitch with a Class IV hitch rated at 6000 pounds for conventional towing and 12000 pounds for weight distribution.

Should cost about 250 dollars plus installation.

The law is not related to the actual vehicle, but the rating of the hitch and its mounting.

• Like 2

volzalum    280

If it's a 1500 truck, you can install a class V hitch with conventional rating to 10000 pounds.

• Like 1