lakerat

Spray-On Traction

lakerat    70

Has anyone used Monster Paint or any of the other spray on traction? I'm not a fan of wax around the boat and I have a new board coming. I've heard of people using it on the nose of SUP's and was wondering if anyone had used it on an entire board.

BenHolloway    29

Just get the right wax for the water temp and you should be fine, I use wax now and havnt had a problem even when I use topping wax it isn't an issue. You on Prineville yet?

lakerat    70

I just can't imagine using wax and not getting it all over everything but maybe I'll give it a try. Jeff said he included traction in the box, so maybe I'll just go that way. I haven't been on Prineville yet; we'll probably be over in the next couple of weeks. How's the water?

BenHolloway    29

I just can't imagine using wax and not getting it all over everything but maybe I'll give it a try. Jeff said he included traction in the box, so maybe I'll just go that way. I haven't been on Prineville yet; we'll probably be over in the next couple of weeks. How's the water?

Warm now... Put the rear pad of and wax the front... have you ever ridden a waxed board? Don't leave it in the sun, use the right wax and hide it in a board bag when your done. We havnt had an issue yet, if you start using punt or any high tack wax you might see a problem... One thing with the soul craft traction, take your time to make sure the arch bar is right, you really want that rear foot to lock in...

lakerat    70

The last waxed board I rode was in the 1970's and I managed to get wax on my car, wetsuit and just about everything else. :thumbdown::laughing: Thanks for the tip on the SC traction and good news about warm water.

BenHolloway    29

The last waxed board I rode was in the 1970's and I managed to get wax on my car, wetsuit and just about everything else. :thumbdown::laughing: Thanks for the tip on the SC traction and good news about warm water.

Was it made with dinosaur fat back then? Try it out if you don't like it comes off with a few scrapes, I recommend Stay Cover'd.

Edited by BenHolloway

lakerat    70

Dino fat, yeah that must have been it. lol Actually, I just remembered, the last waxed board I rode was at the Polar Bear last year; ended up with wax on my pfd. It must have been old stock leftover from the 70's.

WakeDoc    471

When I get a new board I usually stop by the dollar store and grab some bathtub traction, put it on the board and ride it for the first time so I can decide where I want the traction pads per where my feet feel the most comfortable take a few pictures during the process to review when at home putting on the pads. The spray on traction, although clear will look like a Satan finish and feel like a light sandpaper. Once you place the traction tape off the pads, go around the perimeter, maybe the color on the deck for example, spray on as directed and pull the tape before it drys completely. I am not a big fan but, it does work well and no chance of getting wax on anything. I usually get a couple of pieces of traction and put where I need it on both sides of the board so it looks symmetrical and belongs there.

wakemitch    15

The spray traction is not grippy enough. Ive ridden it a few times and my back foot slipped off numerous times when I tried doing hard turns. Luckily i didnt end up doing the splits too bad.

If you dont want to use wax, then use traction pads.

I used to use front and rear traction pads and then wax on the nose for when I rode the board backwards, but this year I switched to running a rear traction pad and then just an arch bar up front with wax covering the rest. I really enjoy the feel. No matter how I land on my board I feel comfortable. I have never gotten wax on anything but the board. I use Sex Wax 6x (tropcial wax) in the summer as a base and it stays on great, and I keep the 5x on top. I just put my board in my bag whenever I'm not using it.

There is definitely a reason why all ocean surfers use wax and why many wakesurfers are switching too. But luckily there are options.

• Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

I'm gonna hijack this old thread instead of creating a new one. I've been using the Punt wax lately and absolutely love the grip it gives me. But I dislike the mess. I'm very peticular about keeping my boat clean and the Punt transfers to the bottom of my feet. It'll then stain the grip on the swim deck and whatnot. So I crawl up onto the boat and use wax remover and towel on my feet before getting in the boat. I'd like to try Viskus traction, but it's continuously sold out. Has anyone used this stuff??

https://www.rspro.org/products/hexatraction-board-grip

stoked    1,039

I'm gonna hijack this old thread instead of creating a new one. I've been using the Punt wax lately and absolutely love the grip it gives me. But I dislike the mess. I'm very peticular about keeping my boat clean and the Punt transfers to the bottom of my feet. It'll then stain the grip on the swim deck and whatnot. So I crawl up onto the boat and use wax remover and towel on my feet before getting in the boat. I'd like to try Viskus traction, but it's continuously sold out. Has anyone used this stuff??

I elect you to buy it and report back to us! :thumbsup:

With a new board most likely coming before the season is out, I want to use something other than wax and this looks pretty slick!

stoked    1,039

There's some good suggestions here: http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/traction-alternatives-to-wax pretty much all of them cheaper than the hex stuff, and is continental so shipping won't take a month and cost $100. I may pick up some north shore since it is cheap enough to test out and throw away if it doesn't do the trick:

http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=66&idproduct=198

viking    491

Wow great find Stoked. I might do the same here real soon. Let us know right away if you pull the trigger and report back your opinion.

h20king    794

love it I have one viscus I could part with but leave on vacation in the morning. Edited by h20king

NW Boat Sports    232

I've used rear traction and viscus up front this year. Only 3 times total :( I like it but I like front traction, too.

• Like 1

h20king    794

Yeah I like it but the wife not so much .

DarksideR    1,679

Is the Viskus really sticky? Or just kinda grippy?

Sorry to hear that NWBS

Edited by DarksideR

NW Boat Sports    232

It's like little flattened beads of wax. Pretty sticky/grippy. I only recall one time slipping off the viscus onto the board and thinking. I like traction better..

• Like 2

RhuntIII    555

I've been using this product called VersaTraction for almost a year now and I will say it's pretty bad tush. Once ridding you won't be able to tell the difference between their clear traction and wax. I attached a link so y'all can do a little digging, they offer several different products, I chose the clear traction. They will ever send you a sample when requested.

No messy wax on the boat, no messy wax on my friends boat, and no messy wax in my board bag.

https://versaworld.com/index.php/board-sports/surf.html?p=2

• Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

All good stuff. Thanks!