DarksideR    1,679

So it appears that I have developed an oil leak somewhere on my V-drive. It's difficult to pinpoint where exactly it is coming from. I believe, and my fingers are crossed that it is coming from the pan seal. Actually, it'd be awesome if it were just a loose drain bolt or something, but I'm being slightly more realistic.

There has not been any issues with this boat for the previous 4 years that I've owned it. I believe the issue may have started because of sitting water in the bilge in the fall may have deteriorated the seal. My driveway slopes down to the street so the boat sits bow down.

Anyway, I've searched high and low for a thread on replacing this seal, but have had no luck. After talking with Duramatt, he said a few fellow crew members have had similar issues. Any knowledge on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

If it's not the pan seal... how much of a PITA is it to remove the V-drive? Does it actually need to be removed to fix the seal!?

RVR-RAT    269

X3 Had to do it on my avalanche as well.

DarksideR    1,679

Thanks all. Gonna give it a try tomorrow if this rain stops!

Don't know why I couldn't find that thread bigcat, but thanks!

kylesullens    3

This is all good advice and highly recommended. If you've ever considered doing a PSS seal upgrade, this would be the time. Requires pulling the drive, which would give you the opportunity to replace the pan seal and the output shaft seal. Removing the VDrive is not as complicated as it sounds.

DarksideR    1,679

IT WORKED!!

It's been 3 days since I tightened every bolt I could get my wrench on and when I checked the cardboard I placed under the v-drive... not a drop! I'm so happy. Just hope I didn't cause any damage running the oil low.

Another big thanks to the Crew.

truekaotik    458

Sweet, you should be fine Dark!!!! :)

DarksideR    1,679

Yeah, I think so. I basically just idled back to the dock.

I just wanted to say i had to do this today, just thought if anyone else reads this i took a flat mirror and slid it underneath and i could see everything ,all bolts. also used a dentist mirror on a telescoping body.