bcollins    18

Hey guys, bought this last year and never got around to replacing. Seems to be running fine but figured I would do it anyway this year just to be proactive. Is this pretty simple, i.e. unscrew and replace. Obviously I need to be careful and make sure the wires go on the new one, in sequence, as they were on the old but I'm not going to have to do any sort of timing or anything am I. I'm all good when it comes to taking things apart and replacing as it was but if there's something I need to do after the fact than I might just leave this for another time. I included a pic I pulled off the internet, it basically looks exactly like this. Did a search but didn't find anything on here.

Also, it's been awhile since I replaced the plugs. Again, the boat ran great last weekend when I did my post maintenance lake test but would rather take care of this before they become a problem.

dist cap.bmp

tuneman    6

A cap and rotor replacement is about as easy as it gets. Ten minute job.

For those that need to buy the cap and rotor yet, take a picture of your cap and head to the auto parts store to find the match. Don't buy the marinized/Mercruiser version, unless you have a money tree. Besides, they just buy the cap and rotor from GM and relable it. That cap and rotor is from a 20xx Cadillac. It's called a 'crab' style cap.

Just replace one wire at a time, so that you don't get them mixed up.

bcollins    18

Awesome, that's my kind of maintenance....thanks Tuneman.

superdtf    68

Just replace one wire at a time, so that you don't get them mixed up.

That^^ Once you get a pair swapped up, it will run OK on the hose but won't have power on the lake, and it's a PITA to diagnose.

bcollins    18

Thanks guys, I actually wrote the number on each of the end caps of the wires before I realized I didn't have the right screw driver to take off the distibutor cap. Between that and doing them one at a time I should be good.

duramat    462

I wish I had known that.....I just bought the merc one last week

For what its worth, the stock GM distributor cap, and most partshouse caps have aluminum towers that corrode more quickly. The ones you buy from Mercruiser, PCM, etc have bronze towers that last much longer in a marine environment.

Joe.

• Like 2

bcollins    18

I would check your timing after you change your cap and rotor.

Come on Cheif, they said this was going to be easy :rant:

I have no idea how to go about doing that. I'm mechanically challenged.

Your timing should not be affected by changing the cap.

• Like 2

First timer    19

I've never checked my timing on my boat or any car after doing just a cap and rotor.

superdtf    68

Your timing should not be affected by changing the cap.

Correct

bcollins    18

whoo hoo, we're back on :Rockon:

Nah, I was going to do it anyway. Got a buddy that's a mechanic/autobody guy so figured if it ran rough afterwards he could take a look at it. Thanks for everyone's encouragement.

Wasn't planning on doing the plugs, but how long should those last?

dezul    10

whoo hoo, we're back on :Rockon:

Nah, I was going to do it anyway. Got a buddy that's a mechanic/autobody guy so figured if it ran rough afterwards he could take a look at it. Thanks for everyone's encouragement.

Wasn't planning on doing the plugs, but how long should those last?

I would pull one or two plugs and just check them to see if they might be fouled. If they look pretty clean but have black suit film on them, keep using them. When you do pull one, write down the part number so you know what kind to get at the parts store in case you ever decide to switch them out.

bcollins    18

Good advice, thanks Dezul. I thought it would be a nightmare getting to them but I actually got down there the other day and was able to get to most of them without to much trouble...in theory, I didn't actually take any out. Getting a wrench in there might not be fun but I can't imagine it's any worst then pulling the water pump for impeller replacement.

dezul    10

Good advice, thanks Dezul. I thought it would be a nightmare getting to them but I actually got down there the other day and was able to get to most of them without to much trouble...in theory, I didn't actually take any out. Getting a wrench in there might not be fun but I can't imagine it's any worst then pulling the water pump for impeller replacement.

With a socket extention or two it accually goes pretty quick. Wear mechanic gloves. I seem to bust my knuckles everytime I change spark plugs in vehicles and boats.

fropappy    9

Replaced my water separating fuel filter and distributor cap today.

The cap was kinda funky!

Distcapfrom08Scorpion_zpsdbecfe0b.jpg

It was past time to replace it!

fropappy    9

Took it to the lake Sunday.

Performed flawlessly!

Kevin Baugh    78

Green icicles are never good :-)