tuneman

Finally! Surfgate on my Enzo SV230

boardjnky4    8

yesssssss I love it!!

Can't wait to get my permanent setup on, then the next boat I work on will be a friend's Falcon V

tuneman    6

NICE! Love the length and the absence of wash, not so much love for mellowing out the wave though. Nice work.

For surf style, I agree with you. But I think I might be able to bring back some kick to the wave by removing weight from the bow. The height of the wave didn't decrease and the angle of the video is deceiving. It's just more rounded. The wave is huge!

For skim, it's a hands down must do. The playground doubled in size.

I think we're headed out on Wednesday to do more testing. If any of you locals want to check it out in person, let me know.

WakeDoc    471

Nice work can't wait to see and hear more about it!

boardjnky4    8

If you want to shorten it out and make it a bit taller you could probably bump the speed down the 10.3/10.5 also, rather than remove weight.

phillewis    39

Amazing! Loving the progression. Any chance for trying one on the port side to clean up the goofy wave? Can't wait to see more!!!

Waterdog14    3

How did you come up with the length of the surf gate? The temporary one you have shown looks quite a bit longer than those I have seen on malibu's. I figure the height or how tall the surf gate will be is determined by the swim platform and rear hull shape of each individual boat. The length of the gate and how far to push it out is where I am curious. I am thinking about making a set for my 02 Avalanche but not sure what the optimum length and angle behind the boat should be.

tuneman    6

How did you come up with the length of the surf gate?

I worked up some mathematical models and did some computational fluid analysis modeling on the computer.....well....actually....I used the plastic piece that hid the port side mid ballast tank and left it at the width that it was. Measured the gate after I put it on and it was exactly 20" long. Held my thumb out at arms length, closed one eye, and said, "yep, that's about right."

Highly technical stuff.

Kidding aside, I think the longer the gate, the more the convergence delay. That's good. The bad will be preventing a long gate from dragging when in the stowed position.

PayCheck    20

is the plywood just resting pressed against the back of the boat? i want to borrow this idea as a winter project, just dont want the plywood pressing directly on the fiberglass :thumbsup:

tuneman    6

is the plywood just resting pressed against the back of the boat? i want to borrow this idea as a winter project, just dont want the plywood pressing directly on the fiberglass :thumbsup:

There's no plywood and nothing is touching the fiberglass. I used an old 2x12 I had lying around and cut it in half at the angle of the hull. I think it was about 12 degrees. Then I cut down a 2x4 to the proper spacing and screwed the two big pieces together with it (this is the spacer closest to the gate). Then I cut three 1x2 scrap oak strips for the gate and screwed those on. Then I slipped it on the platform and adjusted it to a 20 degree angle with the wood pushed all the way against the tie down loop. I carved up my gate and screwed that on. Last, I put the final spacer in that pushes against the side of the platform. So, when the tie-down strap is tightly attached, it snugs it up thru the tie-down loop and against the swim platform.

I hope that makes sense.

Bigcatpt    408
I LOVE convergence delay...

I almost just spit out my drink! LMAOROTF

RhuntIII    555

I almost just spit out my drink! LMAOROTF

Not on the keyboard Big!

superdtf    68
Not on the keyboard Big!

I'm pretty sure he has a spill-proof keyboard...

tuneman    6

More video!!

It was a crazy windy day and we were racing the sunset. So, we just filled the ballast and I took a very quick run before it got dark. I'll hopefully have more time to tweak tomorrow. There's a nasty kink in the middle of the wave coming from the corner of the boat. Gotta figure that one out.

In the video, the first part is almost full ballast/no gate (only about 300lbs in the bow). Three guys in the boat. Second part is adding the gate. Third part is me surfing on an Inland Surfer Black Pearl, now two guys in the boat. I'm 6'3" tall, going 10.5mph in choppy water.

Daylorb    3

More video!!

It was a crazy windy day and we were racing the sunset. So, we just filled the ballast and I took a very quick run before it got dark. I'll hopefully have more time to tweak tomorrow. There's a nasty kink in the middle of the wave coming from the corner of the boat. Gotta figure that one out.

In the video, the first part is almost full ballast/no gate (only about 300lbs in the bow). Three guys in the boat. Second part is adding the gate. Third part is me surfing on an Inland Surfer Black Pearl, now two guys in the boat. I'm 6'3" tall, going 10.5mph in choppy water.

Very nice! Looks like it has made a big difference. Wonder what it would do with both 1400lb'ers full?

tuneman    6

ride it out!

Aw, come on, ya gotta cut me some slack! :p I was just warming up...it was significantly darker that what the camera shows...the moon was out of alignment with the stars. Just lost the fin after the spin. It's definitely a different wake.

DrNate    426

It looks good to me. I'm very impressed

truekaotik    458

Aw, come on, ya gotta cut me some slack! :p I was just warming up...it was significantly darker that what the camera shows...the moon was out of alignment with the stars. Just lost the fin after the spin. It's definitely a different wake.

Can you explain the difference in the wake you speak of? Good or bad?

LakeSurfer    10

1st off, great job Tuneman and I think this is very cool. Just for clarity purposes, I believe the 1st part of the video does not show what an Enzo wave is with 2,400lbs on one side. It shows what an Enzo wave looks like with 1,000lbs sacs in each locker at 10.5mph.

Regarding the mod, (1) it is very cool that you get an Enzo wave on the regular side with the boat level and not having to lean it to one side and (2) it would be AWESOME if you put the gate on the other side and showed us video of the goofy wave. If the gate gives you a solid goofy wave, everybody with and Enzo will make this mod. How cool would it be to run a balanced weight set up that would produce a wave on either side of the boat at the push of a button. You could switch from side to side surf wise and then dump a little weight and have an awesome wakeboard wake. The ultimate family experience.