dezul

Things you dislike about Centurions....

Summerfun    0

I bought a 2012 V c4 brand new on July 2. I put 8 hours and 1 tank of gas in it and the engine blew due to an oil filter issue on July 7.

I do not like that.

I do not like the dealer taking their time. I do not like the fact that after continual tries to talk with someone at Centurion for support, my calls, emails, tweets, and Timeline posts go unanswered.

I did like the responsiveness of PCM Marine Engines.

I'm pretty sure we will once again enjoy our boat as we have the first Centurion in the area and for the 8 hours we had it, people were lining up to surf behind it.

Anyone know if Centurion reps look at this site? Sure would love a response!

superdtf    68

Yeah, that's why the relationship with the dealer is so critical. I'm sure you're boat will get fixed and put back together, but we spend so much time and money on these things, that if they don't work on those precious few days that we need them to, it's all a waste. I would have invoked your state's lemon law and demanded a new boat; let your unresponsive dealer "deal" with it.

Kevin Baugh    78

Centurion should respond but what do you need from them?

Spud    7

My list:

• Shaft Seal - there is a proven standard that's been available for almost thirty years, and they're doinking around with the stupid Marine Hardware seal, and now the OJ version of the same damned seal design.
  • Remote Filter - seriously, it was an $80k boat, put in the remote filter kit
  • Oil Drain Hose - yeah that too
  • Mine has that gray gelcoat "shadow" below/behind the back sunpad. Not all have it, but it's pretty common. I hate it. I wish it was just white. I think that might become a winter project.
  • Changing the impeller is a huge PITA, and it's only because of where it's positioned. Obviously that's Mercruiser, but I'm trying to be complete and honest.
  • Drainage - The boat has a few spots that don't drain well: back seats, bow footwell (there are drain holes, but they're the size of pencil lead), window
  • Facilities Management - Like where the batteries go, where the heater gets installed, amps, subs, shower, pumps, valves, etc. ; they all seem like an afterthought. I've seen it done better in the newer boats, maybe our 2008 was just on the cusp of this, but it felt like I had to do to much just to deal with a heater, two batteries, amps, and multiple pumps.

Things that I thought would be disappointing and they are not:

• I don't find it more/less weight sensitive than the others.
  • Fit/Finish - coming from Nautiques and MasterCrafts, I thought we'd have to get used to less deluxe. Maybe we just got lucky, but our Enzo is every bit as nice as our other boats, and nicer than our friends Malibu of the same year (2008, and it's them saying it, not us). I realize this might not be the case with all Centurion models.
  • Mercruiser Black Scorp - coming from SN & MC, obviously the bias was toward PCM and Indmar. In my 30+ years, I've never met a more drivable torque curve matched with appropriate power. Maybe the new PCM's are better, but they don't feel better when I drive them (Tige & SAN).
  • Solid feel/Ride - We've been in some CRAZY weather and the confidence we have and how solid the boat feels; it's all amazing.
  • Waterskiing/Barefooting - Of course I don't mean competitive slalom, but recreational skiing and barefooting is totally doable.

:thumbsup:

dezul    10

Overall, I think this is a good list. It should give future Centurion buyers a heads up on what to expect when purchasing a used Centurion.

PayCheck    20

2006 elite v c4

• glovebox was awful till we just took off the holder thing and just hold it open
  • rear inboad speakers are around the bottom of the seats, the old ones were kicked and peoples feet bled when scratched on grills
  • rear lockers are too small for 750 lb fat sacs
  • VERY weight responsive
  • not a real cool? looking boat, tower is ugly without bimini
  • the carpet SMELLS when it gets really wet. it gets pulled out of the boat pretty often

the positives outnumber the negatives in the end though, or else we wouldnt have our boats right?

I have a 2003 Hurricane, haven't noticed too many problems with it, but this is my first boat. The snap in carpet in the bow got stuck the other day and left the black marks you all speak of. First time its happened on an almost 10 year old boat, so no complaints.

Mine does have an oil drain hose, but it only drains 3/4 of the oil and it takes forever. I probably need one of those pumps.

The cooler drain is the highest point on the bottom of the cooler, when you pull the plug it doesn't drain the last 1/2"-1".

Edited by ActonParsons

kylesullens    3

tank - I was having this same problem with my '99 Elite V. Even on glassy water, the bow would bounce like crazy at anything above a fast idle.

My boat has the stationary trim tab (has adjustable links, but not hinged, so not really adjustable). Everyone on this forum recommended the Bennett hydraulic trim tabs, which are very cool, but are over $500. One of the members of this forum sold me the trim tab he took off of is boat that was hinged, so I installed that and adjusted it to have a slight down-angle. Worked great and now I can glide across the water at WOT. Paid $40 for the manually adjustable trim tab.

There are probably plenty of guys that have their old trim tabs lying around. It probably wouldn't be hard to make one, either. Again, this is just to save the $$ of the Bennett system.

Hope this helps....

mancho    85

Mine doesn't print money :( so crushed.

enzo101mo    98

You know all around I love just looking at her puts a smile on my face every time. With that curve body and slick look, she's a beauty and she's mine. She purrs like a kitten when I turn her on. If she is to loud and can't hear others talking I'll switch her over to the other side. She really knows how to whole her weight and gluides real smooth when she stirring up the lake. I quess you know she isn't prefect in every way, but no one perfect in every way. I wax her at least twice a year, rubben her body till she's shiny and lookin new. My Wife don't get jealouse when out with her on the water she'll sit their smilling and gives me a beer. This may sounded corny, but we love our 2005 Enzo I think I'll keep around for a long long time :thumbsup: .

Skibumm    184

1994 Falcon XP owned since new. Has 3482 hours on the clock. Hmmm what do I hate.

Little storage and no place for speakers except in the dash.

The upolstery is getting replaced this year so it only lasted 19 years and has two cracks in the seams.

The motor has never failed me but I would like fuel injection and better fuel economy.

I have had to buff it out a couple of time to make it look showrrom new.

My brother fell on the front deck and spider craked the whole thing and I had to send it back to the factory and they put a new top deck on it free.

I had to put carpet on the bunks now three times.

I guess I pretty much love it unless you want to wakeboard and your over 12 years old then the wake sucks.

mancho    85

Free? How did that come about?

Skibumm    184

Free? How did that come about?

They like me the really like me?

I am not sure my dealer is awesome and I had worked a lot with him and sold a few boats. But I think that they knew that there was too much flex in the deck too. it was pretty flexy (not sure if that is a word) before the new deck was put on.

07 avalanche.

- glove box lid is junk

- no 12v power outlet on passenger side. I have to charge everyone's phones. Ill be adding one over there soon.

- evo tower racks just suck. Sawtooth swivel lock design is prone to damage. The teeth get messed up, nut won't turn easily, cord is a pain, they bounce like crazy dolphin.

Upside down remote oil filter? Are you kidding me? Near a carpeted area? Just an epic failure.

-hinges and gas shock mounts are cheap and prone to failure.

-the tapered crews used at factory to install inner trim piece on the captains seat crack the plastic. The plastic was not ore drilled and tapered screws are wrong and that's why my piece fell off going down the lake..

Other than that I love the dang boat!!!

duramat    462

- glove box lid is junk

Other than that I love the dang boat!!!

Emphasis on the word "JUNK"!! Piece of garbage, Basura, cheap, Mickey Mouse, P.O.S. etc..

What's an other option to replace it with something else other than spending expensive coin for a repeat of that POS Lid/box?

Praesto    25

2007 Cyclone C4

Things that I dislike about my Centurion:

• Ski Pylon is stuck in the down position. I have used everything in the world to loosen it but it won't come up.
  • The bling package was easily eroded (has now been powder coated to look better)
  • No drain hole's in the bow of the boat.
  • Never had a good dealer to take care of me. Recently we got a new local dealer and hoping things go well with him.

I take it you dislike your glove box lid too. Ha I can live with it but 12v on that side is a must everybody has some type devise that is always dead..

PayCheck    20

2007 Cyclone C4

• Ski Pylon is stuck in the down position. I have used everything in the world to loosen it but it won't come up.
  • The bling package was easily eroded (has now been powder coated to look better)
  • Never had a good dealer to take care of me. Recently we got a new local dealer and hoping things go well with him.

Go underneath and unscrew the nut down there. If that doesn't work idk what will

I take it you dislike your glove box lid too. Ha I can live with it but 12v on that side is a must everybody has some type devise that is always dead..

We don't allow all those devices on board, unless its for video or music. Everyone can get away from their phones for at least an afternoon and enjoy the people on the boat. It's too annoying to hold a conversation when somebody is half listening to you and texting. Having to be quiet and turn off the music just for someone to take a call is even worse. Just my opinion, but do whatever suits your crowd. Edited by PayCheck

superdtf    68

2007 Cyclone C4

All I took away from that, was no matter how hard you try, you can't get the pylon up.

• Like 1