Dreamer

Fuel Consumption Wakesurfing

Dreamer    96

Reading some posts on wakeworld.com. The new Wake9 Tige Z3 with the 409 HP engine consumed 48 gallons of fuel over 11 engine hours. That is only 4.4 gallons per hour!

I have an SV230 Enzo, 330 Black Scorpion engine and either an Acme 1579 prop or the OJ 5 blade. We run 2200#'s of ballast and less than 400 #'s of people in our boat and are consuming almost 30 liters of fuel per hour (7.9 US gallons per hour).

I am curious to see your setup and how it compares.

newsurfer    0

I have a 2011 Sv230 with the PCM 343 in it, 1579 prop on it and run #2500 in ballast and usually between 4 to 6 people on board. Mine uses right around 5 gallons per hour. I have had 9 to 10 people on board and fuel use goes up just alittle.

Sporty    4

It would be good to know on the Tige if all 11 hours are surfing?

Dreamer    96

I thought it was an 8 gallon an hour sport but even newsurfer (above) is using 3 gallons an hour less than me. I have almost 100 hours on the plugs, cap and rotor. Might be time for a change.

WakeDoc    471

I feel a Tige breeze blowing up my skirt!

Dreamer    96

Maybe it's an PCM breeze as the SV230 above is using 3 gallons an hour less than my Mercruiser of the same displacement.

superdtf    68

This conversation makes me laugh. Unless somebody gave you the boat, and you can store it in your uncle's garage, the difference in fuel consumption is chump change. And no, the new PCM motor is NOT using half the fuel of the Mercruiser while doing the same amount of work (like surfing with a slammed boat).

acman    59

I'm running about 2200 pounds of ballast. 4 peeps, acme 1579 and I average 5 to 6 gallons per hour surfing. Sv240 pmc 343

Edited by acman

Dreamer    96

This conversation makes me laugh. Unless somebody gave you the boat, and you can store it in your uncle's garage, the difference in fuel consumption is chump change. And no, the new PCM motor is NOT using half the fuel of the Mercruiser while doing the same amount of work (like surfing with a slammed boat).

The difference in fuel consumption between my Enzo and the Tige or PCM Enzo is worth $2500 a season to me. Not chump change at all. If I am looking at a new ride for next season and I plan on keeping the boat for five years it might pay for more than the engine upgrade.

775surfer    0

I just make sure that I am always towing a surfer in the downhill direction of the lake so that I can coast more and save a little on gas.

superdtf    68

The difference in fuel consumption between my Enzo and the Tige or PCM Enzo is worth $2500 a season to me. Not chump change at all. If I am looking at a new ride for next season and I plan on keeping the boat for five years it might pay for more than the engine upgrade.

You may be right. I'm not sure I believe the figures: The Tige uses HALF the fuel? And your consumption seems high, our 240 burns almost six gallons per hour of surfing (only 2000 lb's ballast plus lots of kids). It uses much less skiing the kids or cruising, although barefooting sucks the gas too.

RhuntIII    555

Last weekend I burned 8 gallons a day and was out 7 +\- hrs each day.

WakeDoc    471

I will tell you this much, we filled up on the way to the lake, PCM 409 we ran up and down the lake at top speed, unloaded and surfed the rest of the day, I will try to remember to see what it took to fill it back up. I can tell you this I WILL do a comparison and post it., after this weekend.

Kevin Baugh    78

My 450 cat pcm seems to be doing very good compared to my 330 hp Merc althought that is just

a fealing I have no numbers to back that up

duramat    462

I just make sure that I am always towing a surfer in the downhill direction of the lake so that I can coast more and save a little on gas.

HAHAHA! :thumbsup:

Super, I agree. It seems like I burn less fuel when im cruisin around pulling tubes, skis, wakeboards. I swear my RPM's are higher than when Im surfin too, so I dont know if lower the rpms means Im burnin less fuel LOL

acman    59

a factory rep at a boat show explain to me that the hull( back of the boat) is designed to sink deeper with less weight when wakesurfing or wakeboard to create a simular wave to other brands. At the time i thought it was a sales pitch? Maybe not, given the fuel numbers.

Edited by acman

RhuntIII    555

You should never put a price on fun! :thumbsup:

DrNate    426

I've never figured it, but I am amazed that you guys say that you burn LESS fuel pulling tubes, kneeboarding, etc. than surfing. Surely the RPM's are higher at those speeds, no? We pull a lot of kids in between surf sets at 18-22 mph with little or no ballast obviously.

Kevin Baugh    78

"I can confirm that the new Tiges do average ~4gph while wakesurfing (comp size wakes) with both the 343 or 409"

If all things are equal ballast, prop, rpms, etc I would have to experiance that much difference to believe it

LakeSurfer    10

I think I burn about 5 gph (maybe a little less). I run around 2,300lbs, stock prop and RPMs a little less than 3,000. I believe I run around the same weight as the Wake9 guys in their Z3.

Since we both have PCM engines and run around the same weight, I would have to the data before I bought off on the fact that the Tige is material more fuel efficient than the new Centurions.

Note: my PCM is better than the Merc in my Avy.