Bojik    0

Last summer I had to go down a dirt road to access a local lake. It left some small round chips in the bow gel coat. I can see the base color (white) through the top color (black) but no evidence of hull damage. Is there an easy fix for these kind of chips, or do I have to take the boat somewhere to have them refinish?

I also started to clean off the SS around the boat with a SS cleaner but stopped after a few pieces in fear that the SS cleaner would damage the seats or gel coat. Are any SS cleaners ok to use or is there one that is better than the others?

I also noticed some brown stuff around the engine door on the black marine carpet post-2469-0-55021000-1332896888_thumb.jpg. How do I clean this off and how do I avoid it happening in the future?

Thanks,

Bryan

RhuntIII    555

What is SS around the boat and what is SS cleaner? Soft Scrub?

RhuntIII    555

Is that mold or mildew on the door?

Bojik    0

Stainless Steel and I would guess mildew. I never store the boat wet and it is always stored in a dry heated garage with the engine doors open for venting.

RhuntIII    555

I like simple green as a cleaner. All my SS I wipe down with a oily rag after each use (SALT WATER). Read the label on the cleaner it should say whats its good for and not so good for.

truekaotik    458

The whit marks you see where it's chipped isn't the base coat, the gelcoat on these boats is fairly thick. When gelcoat is damaged or scratched (any color) it turns white. You can call centurion and give your hull number and they can tell you the color code, or if it's new enough they may have a smal gel repair kit.. If they are small you can wet sand them out and polish it back... The SS cleaner, spray on the rag first, then clean it, if you want to use SS cleaner...

RhuntIII    555

True my ears are bleeding!!!

truekaotik    458

Haha ;-)

Bojik    0

Is the Simple Green for the door?

truekaotik    458
Is the Simple Green for the door?

I think he uses simple green to get marks off easier on the vinyl and boat....

No for the seat get or rent a hand held carpet cleaner and clean it... Its just a common thing (mold)from moister in the foam and carpet. Then use a mold remover on the vinyl... After you clean make sure to re moisturizer the vinyl for longevity...

Edited by truekaotik

RhuntIII    555

simple green on everything, not the carpet. My boat has no mold or mildew. This is still a new boat to me. I always store the boat with the seats and the sun deck up just to encourage air flow. We'll see what my boat is like this time next year. Hand held carpet cleaner might be your best bet.

DarksideR    1,679

So, Simple Green works good on the vinyl? I have some mold spots(yellowish brown) between the cusions from the first year I owned the boat and it got wet right before winter storage. :( Will it help with that??

i use starbrite mildew remover it works great and its safe on the seats i had a mold problem last year it even gets that deep down dirt that hard to get out

DarksideR    1,679

I bought that stuff, but it didn't work on my spots :(

Spud    7

I use Simple Green on everything as well, it is a mans best friend !!! Yes Dark, If they are bad, it will will help a lot. I have also used this http://www.meguiarsd...etail.do?q=4746 but regularly use this http://www.meguiars.com/en/marine/products/m5716-vinyl-rubber-cleaner-conditioner-16oz/ which I keep on the boat with me to maintain. I had some bad spots as well, they didn't come completely out, but are hardly noticeable now thanks to the S.G. and M. Also, a nice long day of sun bleaching helps after cleaning it. Hope that helps.

Edited by Spud

RhuntIII    555

Try a little vodka with your simple green. Just kidding. I know that in South Texas when vinyl mildews nothing gets it out. The spots only seem to fade but never come completely out. There is a product you can buy that comes in a cup. It has little crystals that absorbs moisture. I used it in a old closet of mine when I lived on the island. It would wick up the humidity in the air, very very humid you could see it. I wander if it would be good to put a couple in the boat when storing? Then check on it after a week or so.

Edited by RhuntIII

Troy. R    198

To help prevent mold on the vinyl flip all of your seats up when storing the boat (for the winter or between trips to the lake). I actually arrange them all standing upright on the floor where none of the vinyl pieces are touching each other. I also put the boat out in the sun with the cover off, open all the hatches, remove the fat sacs, and let it dry out the day after each outing.

Bojik    0

I store my boat in my garage after every use with all engine doors open and the seats on shelves (I installed shelves along the garage wall at the height of the boat so I can easly reach them when I am in the boat). We also take out all wetsuites and life jackets and hang them on hangers to dry. All water toys are also removed from the boat and stored on their own shelf.

Everthing that is removed from the boat is stored far enough away from the boat so that water is not dripping into the boat.

Where I boat they have zebra mussel issues http://nas.er.usgs.gov/taxgroup/mollusks/zebramussel/ so the hull of my boat is always dry after I take out, and inspected by our local game warden or parks employee.

And on top of all that I leave in a DRY climate.

So how would the mold get on my carpet and what else can I do to prevent it?

Bojik    0

This may be one of those dumb questions but....My windshield is plastic right? not glass.

And what will get it clean and clear again. I have used simple green on it before but it never stays clean and spot free for longer than two minutes.