Sign in to follow this  
KnuckleDragger

Custom Falcon V Ballast Install Complete

I've been slowly working on completing a custom ballast install in my 2009 Falcon V over the past month. I'm finally finished other than for a complete water test. I've followed BigCatPT's lead and written a blog about the install. I figured I should share since everyone else's posts helped me a lot during the design and install. I hope this blog keeps the wheels turning for other ballast design ideas.

http://customfalconballast.blogspot.com/

Some of the main features of the new install:

- Centrally located valve manifold

- Two aux lines

- Two Johnson Ultra reversible pumps

- Ability to combine or isolate pumps (fill one side and empty other side)

- 2500LB total potential ballast

duramat    462

EXCELLENT!

What are we doing Wednesday? Im free.............. :spiteful:

kriskussee    9

Great write-up! Just say when and we will give it the real test. :surfing2:

h20king    794

great write up I am sure you will be happy with your design.I cant wait to see some pics of your wave my wife will not let me pile sacks everywhere............H

Bigcatpt    408

I've been slowly working on completing a custom ballast install in my 2009 Falcon V over the past month. I'm finally finished other than for a complete water test. I've followed BigCatPT's lead and written a blog about the install. I figured I should share since everyone else's posts helped me a lot during the design and install. I hope this blog keeps the wheels turning for other ballast design ideas.

http://customfalconballast.blogspot.com/

Some of the main features of the new install:

- Centrally located valve manifold

- Two aux lines

- Two Johnson Ultra reversible pumps

- Ability to combine or isolate pumps (fill one side and empty other side)

- 2500LB total potential ballast

Awesome write up Knuck!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: I can't wait to try out your wave!! I love the garden hose adapter for testing the system and winterization!

Joe B    17

:clapping::unworthy::animier: What a GREAT Writeup :animier::unworthy::clapping:

You've filled in the gaps of knowledge when I get to my boat. Thanks again especially on the electrical. :Rockon:

DarksideR    1,679

Amazing write up man! Thank you so much for taking the time to make the blog and help others in our pursuit of wave happiness. :thumbsup:

poosie    7

knuckle thats a great write up. makes me want to start a ballast project right now. I like the idea of the aux. hoses to fill extra sacs when needed. cant wait to see the final wave.

enzo on LI    79

WOW! Thats impressive Knuckle. I hope it works for you as well as it looks like it will. Great blog, if you havent read it, do so before starting your own system. This will save you a lot of questions and headaches.

Thanks everyone for the compliments! I'm glad you liked it. I'll be sure to post when I have some pics.

Joe B    17

I clicked on the link to the Contura Rocker Switch and today it's not working (was yesterday). Do you have a link? Is it the switch listed here that is on-off-on illuminated? http://stores.ebay.com/Welcome-To-Advantage-Marine-Supply/Electrical-Lighting-/_i.html?_nkw=contura&submit=Search&_fsub=509131017&_sid=129617857

I figured out what Mom means on electrical switches: Momentary - switch returns to its normal position when released

ps: your mailbox is full

Edited by Joe B

I clicked on the link to the Contura Rocker Switch and today it's not working (was yesterday). Do you have a link? Is it the switch listed here that is on-off-on illuminated? http://stores.ebay.com/Welcome-To-Advantage-Marine-Supply/Electrical-Lighting-/_i.html?_nkw=contura&submit=Search&_fsub=509131017&_sid=129617857

I figured out what Mom means on electrical switches: Momentary - switch returns to its normal position when released

ps: your mailbox is full

Strange about that link. It should be working again. I had it linked on the electrical page and the parts page. One worked and one didn't for some reason. It should all be good again. Thanks for letting me know about it and also my inbox.

Here's the link for reference.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CARLING-CONTURA-ROCKER-SWITCH-ON-OFF-ON-BLACK-12981-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2554547b07QQitemZ160328612615QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear#ht_500wt_956

For those that are interested. I've added some info on the initial water test to my blog. It includes a video of the wave using two different setups. It is goofy wave only...no riders. I only had enough time to dunk the boat in and do a quick test....sorry utah surf mafia. So no surfing unfortunately. Only my wife, 19 month old son, and me in the boat at the time of the test.

FYI, this test was at willard bay the evening of 4-1-2011. Water temp was reading a high of 56 and a low of 51.

Edited by KnuckleDragger

h20king    794

thanks knuck I have been saying all along the falcon when set up properly are surf machines and throw an equal wave on both sides and between your video of the dark side and all my pics and video of the regular side I think we have proved that.I love the manifold and think I will do something similar as it looks like a great way to clean up my crossover lines..........H

Bigcatpt    408

For those that are interested. I've added some info on the initial water test to my blog. It includes a video of the wave using two different setups. It is goofy wave only...no riders. I only had enough time to dunk the boat in and do a quick test....sorry utah surf mafia. So no surfing unfortunately. Only my wife, 19 month old son, and me in the boat at the time of the test.

FYI, this test was at willard bay the evening of 4-1-2011. Water temp was reading a high of 56 and a low of 51.

Looks awesome knuck!!!! :clapping: :clapping:

I like the look of the second one with the extra weight!!! More my size.

I wish you would have turned around and traveled the other direction so the wave face was in the sun rather than the shade. That would have looked awesome!!

So how much does the blade change the size/shape of the wave on different settings?? We are gonna have to play around with surfmoochers blade once we get his ballast system in to figure it out. I don't know anything about them.

You gotta be stoked about your wave!!! Even though its on the wrong side.... :thumbsup:

Looks awesome knuck!!!! :clapping: :clapping:

I like the look of the second one with the extra weight!!! More my size.

I wish you would have turned around and traveled the other direction so the wave face was in the sun rather than the shade. That would have looked awesome!!

So how much does the blade change the size/shape of the wave on different settings?? We are gonna have to play around with surfmoochers blade once we get his ballast system in to figure it out. I don't know anything about them.

You gotta be stoked about your wave!!! Even though its on the wrong side.... :thumbsup:

Thanks bigcat. I wasn't thinking about the shade but I see what you mean. It's no avy or enzo wave but not bad for a flat hull like the falcon. I've never surfed on the falcon without the blade so I'm not sure what it is like without it. I've found that the blade does help steepen the wave a bit when it is turned on but it is still not as steep as your avy. I've found on my boat that anything above a level 2 is too much. It makes it hard to clean up the wave and makes the pocket even shorter than what it already is. Increasing the speed hasn't help too much with cleaning it up either. So I usually leave it at a level 1 or 2. I'm sure surfmoocher's enzo will be totally different though. That wave should be insane! Oh yeah, we did try putting it up at higher levels last year and it pretty much pulled the entire rear end into the water. Water was at the vents on both sides! Not good for surfing though.

I know you like to put a sac on the swim deck. I basically think the blade replaces the need for that. I've always said that the blade is well worth the money for wakeboarding but it only helps a little with the surf wave.

Bigcatpt    408

Thanks bigcat. I wasn't thinking about the shade but I see what you mean. It's no avy or enzo wave but not bad for a flat hull like the falcon. I've never surfed on the falcon without the blade so I'm not sure what it is like without it. I've found that the blade does help steepen the wave a bit when it is turned on but it is still not as steep as your avy. I've found on my boat that anything above a level 2 is too much. It makes it hard to clean up the wave and makes the pocket even shorter than what it already is. Increasing the speed hasn't help too much with cleaning it up either. So I usually leave it at a level 1 or 2. I'm sure surfmoocher's enzo will be totally different though. That wave should be insane! Oh yeah, we did try putting it up at higher levels last year and it pretty much pulled the entire rear end into the water. Water was at the vents on both sides! Not good for surfing though.

I know you like to put a sac on the swim deck. I basically think the blade replaces the need for that. I've always said that the blade is well worth the money for wakeboarding but it only helps a little with the surf wave.

That is good feedback on the blade settings. Its going to be interesting to play around with it on a fully loaded enzo!

For those that are interested, I have updated my blog regarding some of the initial issues I had with my 1" check valves on my drain hoses and also what I did to reinforce my locker dividers. I found that installing the check valves closer to the pump, at a low point, helped seal the rubber flapper inside the check valve a bit better. With the check valve being at a low point the remaining water in the hose helps keep the valve shut when filling. Otherwise, it appeared that there wasn't enough suction going through those hoses during filling to completely close the rubber flapper which allowed air to be sucked in and greatly reduce the amount of time it takes to fill. This is only for the 1" check valves on the drain hoses. The 3/4" check valves that I used on my vent hoses seem to seal just fine located close to the side thru hulls.

h20king    794

Looks familiar Knuck I hate to say it but I told you so when my dividers first popped it scared the hell out of me as well I thought I burst a sack.In the pics of your divider reinforcement did you just attach the channel to the panel with screws or through bolt them with machine screws??In the pics it's hard to tell if you just screwed them to the panel I advise you go back and through bolt them this will further stiffen the panels................H

post-777-0-85133800-1302527976_thumb.jpg

post-777-0-91852200-1302528002_thumb.jpg