MN_Surfer

Give feedback and opinion on the board you surf!

MN_Surfer    0

Hey crew,

I thought I would start a thread where we can get fellow crew members opinions on the boards that they surf on. I currently have 3 boards and am buying my 4th tomorrow. Most people can't afford to spend a ton of $$ on boards so I thought a thread where people can post their opinions on their boards was fitting.

Endless Break 56"- My favorite board so far. It is 2 fin setup and is super easy to ride. I can spin 3's on it and get some good air. I had a female friend who has NEVER surfed riding ropeless within 30 minutes on it. She really impressed everyone. I weigh 175 and the board works great for me. I also have a friend who weighs 240-250 and he also can ride it pretty easily.

Inland Surfer Sweet Spot- Just started riding it last week. It does tend to "nose dive" if you don't keep your weight back. It is fast as he**. I am going to continue riding it and give it more of a chance. The 240-250 fella from my crew LOVES this board. He will never ride my Endless Break again because he loves the Sweet Spot.

Hyperlite Broadcast- Doesn't come out of the racks much anymore. It was way too slow for me to ride. I was working way too hard to stay in the wave on this board. I had to place my rear foot about 8 inches in front of the kick pad to get anywhere on this board.

Phase5 DD Carbon- Picking it up tomorrow!!!

Disclaimer: I am NO pro and don't have any interest in any board company. These are just my personal experiences with the boards that I have rode. I will update my reviews as I ride more boards.

Joe B    17

Broadcast 4.9 - good for beginners for a few weeks. sold it.

IS Blue Lake - great intermediate board for cruising and carves. pretty durable too for an upper end board. Fantastic boat board for 180lb-240 people.

Phase 5 DD Carbon small - best skimboard I've been on. my favorite.

Phase 5 icon - great board but I upgraded to the 1" wider DD C which is a tad faster and more stable doing 3's.

Phase 5 Scamp - kids board that everyone gets up on. Wife uses it at 120lbs and edges much better now. A steal at msrp $200

TWP James Walker sig - most advanced board I've ridden. pro rider said a tad faster and more responsive than his bullet. lives to turn rail to rail. Not easy to ride, so don't buy thinking you'll cruise on it. Very weight sensitive so the max weight is right on! competition board, fragile.

ridden many but these are the ones I've owned.

enzo on LI    79

Hyperlite Coex--1st board and still own. The wife rides it like a champ...sometimes 20ft back no problem (right MN Surfer :wallbash: ). Too slow for me.

Obrien Alias--Good beginner board...A little too much work at times to stay in the wave but turning into a good boat board.

Triple XXX Slasher 5'0"--on its way. Will be here Wednesday. My first surfstyle board. Review to come.

duffymahoney    10

Shred Stixx 2010 custom elevation

Shred Stixx 2008 Ja Mako

IS pink skim 2008

Thursty    0

I use a Asylum Surf skate http://www.trickboardz.com/. Looking at getting a Mojo Grande. We call ours the 'banana peel'. Never been on a surf style, just a skim. probably would of been better to start on a surf style, but we knew that we'd be wanting a skim style shortly, so we went there first.

been riding it 2 summers now and it's great!

little thin on the coating on the bottom, nothing a little solar rez (http://www.solarez.com/) won't put back to where it should be....

I will be buying a surf style and another skim style probably this fall or spring, considering what I'm riding, (which has been quite fun I might add), what should I look at next?

I've got:

2008 Hyperlite Landlock 5'11"

Good learning board. The thing is a battleship and cruises nicely, very stable but slow.

2009 Inland Surfer Red Woody 5'6"

Great big boy board! For folks over 230+ I highly recommend this board but I've also ridden it at 220 and it works just as well. It is fast, has good recovery and lift, and can still be broken loose for board slides, 360s, etc. It looks good too.

2008 ShredStixx Piranha 4'11"

I picked up this board this summer and have ridden it half dozen times. It is quick with the thruster fins. Being 220 I think I am a the high end of the weight range (new 2010 Piranha apparently are designed for up to 240) but I still have no issues riding it as long as there is a med-big wave. I am looking forward to progressing on this board as it fits my riding style more. It is more work to ride than the Red Woody and rewarding, to that end, in a different way.

T

LakeSurfer    10
Inland Surfer Sweet Spot- Just started riding it last week. It does tend to "nose dive" if you don't keep your weight back. It is fast as he**. I am going to continue riding it and give it more of a chance. The 240-250 fella from my crew LOVES this board. He will never ride my Endless Break again because he loves the Sweet Spot.

I had this problem at 1st and then got some advise form Towanza. You need to keep your front foot about 2 inches on front of the Black "wave" on the padding. Any further forward makes it nose dive. I have been doing this and dont have that problem any more.

Boards:

1. IS Blue Lake: great learning board. Very stable and pretty fast with 4 fins. It is a little big for me at 155lbs. I will keep it for my boat board.

2. IS Sweet Spot: very fast, has a lot of "straight line" speed so you dont need to pump a lot. You can just put weight on front foot and you shoot forward. Great intermediate board

3. JWSM: I just picked it up, but have not figured out how to ride it yet (my fault not boards). This is my 1st "custom" board and it is significantly different. It is much lighter compared to my Sweet Spot. I can now see how people get such big airs and spins. This board is much more fragile than my IS boards and will ding/dent. This board is not a boat board and will only be ridden by me.

4. IS 4-Skim Black Pearl "Yellow" Tri-Fin: great learning/boat board for skimming. Set it up with 3 fins when you start out and use one once you progress. you spin it easily.

5. Phase 5 DD Carbon: this board is lightening fast and very light. I actually think this is a great learning board because of how fast it is and people can stay in the pocket easily. The only limiting factor of this board is your ability.

6. Phase 5 Samp: this board is for kids up to 100lbs. It is made with great quality but I cant comment on ride since it has never been ridden.

The funny thing is that I have all these boards and I am the only one in my family that surfs. I hope my wife does not see this list.

Broadcast - 4'9" - Great beginner board and useful for lighter riders. Takes a beating and handles being tossed around on the boat. Not a fast board or very good for learning tricks, but does keep your attention on how boards work.

Triple X - Skim board - Great fast board. Breaks loose very easy and spins like crazy. Need to know what you are doing before tackling this board. Not good for heavy people as it will nose dive on you. Need a large wake to keep it in the sweet spot.

Blue Lake - Great board - good for learning and soul riding. Switch a few fins around and you can get a few tricks in. Needs a heavy rider to max out the features of what it can do. Light weight riders will find it hard to break loose.

zetchvp    0

5' 11" Landlock. Easy to learn on. Great if you have small kids who can not surf on their own, just throw them between your legs and they can ride with you. Also fun for some "Toes on the Nose" riding

IS Sweet Spot. Still learning all about it. I have ridden it about 5 days and love it. I got it because I can ride it at 220lbs, and my wife can also ride it at 130 lbs. But there isn't much forgiveness with this one, dip the nose and your done. Anyone get any suggestions on what board I should move to after this, maybe one more specific to my size?

islander033    2
Shred Stixx 2010 custom elevation

Shred Stixx 2008 Ja Mako

IS pink skim 2008

Any opinions on these duffy?

duffymahoney    10
Any opinions on these duffy?

Well I think everyone knows how I feel about them:) Basically I think the elevation is the most amazing board I have ever tried. I have never tried a James Walker board, but to be honest the way he surfs is very different from my style. I ride closer style to chase, johnny and alec. I can recover so so far back on my elevation. I can also get great air. At least great for me. You can surface spin it, but it's tough because of the large fins. But once you get it, it's not hard. I have landed some great grabs and got some good air this year. I can almost slash and get water back in the boat.

The Ja Mako is an amazing board. Still some of my best airs have been on it. I use it more for cruising etc now. It has more gas on gas off ability, where the elevation needs to be pumped.

The pink skim is just for fun and messing around. I don't like skim style boards, so my opinion isn't good for them.

islander033    2

Thanks duffy.

Here's mine.

IS Sweet Spot- Fast and agile but sounds heavy compared to custom boards which means that it should be more durable. It surfs with 240#s (me + son) behind my boat without much problems. I don't have the pearling issue that others do with it.

DD P C L- Super light, agile and loose. I'm sure that it spins and shuvs like no tomorrow......but I suck at skimming...lol.

Hyperlite Co-Ex- Fat, heavy and stable......boat board.

VTsurfer    4

2010 Hazen Elevation - best surf style board I have ridden, nose allows you recover very easily, carves, slaysh all around, allows you to come from way back in the pocket

2009 IS Moss - super fun, fit's a lot of different riders working spins and shuvs current with this.

2008 Phase 5 Drew L - haven't ridden this board much this year, very touchy squerrly.

duramat    462
I had this problem at 1st and then got some advise form Towanza. You need to keep your front foot about 2 inches on front of the Black "wave" on the padding. Any further forward makes it nose dive. I have been doing this and dont have that problem any more.

Boards:

1. IS Blue Lake: great learning board. Very stable and pretty fast with 4 fins. It is a little big for me at 155lbs. I will keep it for my boat board.

2. IS Sweet Spot: very fast, has a lot of "straight line" speed so you dont need to pump a lot. You can just put weight on front foot and you shoot forward. Great intermediate board

3. JWSM: I just picked it up, but have not figured out how to ride it yet (my fault not boards). This is my 1st "custom" board and it is significantly different. It is much lighter compared to my Sweet Spot. I can now see how people get such big airs and spins. This board is much more fragile than my IS boards and will ding/dent. This board is not a boat board and will only be ridden by me.

4. IS 4-Skim Black Pearl "Yellow" Tri-Fin: great learning/boat board for skimming. Set it up with 3 fins when you start out and use one once you progress. you spin it easily.

5. Phase 5 DD Carbon: this board is lightening fast and very light. I actually think this is a great learning board because of how fast it is and people can stay in the pocket easily. The only limiting factor of this board is your ability.

6. Phase 5 Samp: this board is for kids up to 100lbs. It is made with great quality but I cant comment on ride since it has never been ridden.

The funny thing is that I have all these boards and I am the only one in my family that surfs. I hope my wife does not see this list.

Lake you are DA MAN! :unworthy:

Exactly the info Ive been needing/wanting :innocent:

Wiggles    2

I don't have anywhere near the quiver of boards you guys do... but here is my take on my two:

Liquid Force 5'6" - was a good beginner/intermediate board to learn on and get the feel but slow and sluggish so after riding it for two years or so.... it was time for an upgrade.

IS Squirt - I went with this board cause after all the money i have put into the boat this year, the fiance wanted to not spend quite as much now on the Sweet spot right now. At first I wasn't sure, (kept nose diving) but I have now ridden it over a dozen days over the past two weeks I'm very happy with this board, it is quite fast, (like a ferrari compared the to LF) I'm able to drop twice as far back on it and still recover, I can spin it (not completed a full 3 yet, but close just have to figure out the riding it out part), and was even able to get a little air on it as well.

we had my bro @ 200lbs me at 175 and the misses @ 120 all riding it with no problems at all. :innocent:

For the lower price I would recommend it to anyone.... I can also say so far I'm big fan of IS technology, and it certainly makes me look forward to buying us the sweet spot this winter for next season!!

Edited by Wiggles

Bigcatpt    408

Boards I own, have owned, or have ridden.

Hyperlite Landlock 5'11". Total cruiser board. Big, stable and excellent for teaching people on. Quite slow though. Great for riding tandem with kids. Affectionately know on my boat as the "battleship". Sold it to finance another board....

Liquid force surfer.... I can't remember the model. it was red and blue and designed more like a large wake skate. Symmetrical rocker on each end and a small fin on each end. Really slow and not very fun. Sold it quick

Inland Surfer Red Tide.... By far the fastest board I have ridden. But really tough rail to rail stability. Sometimes it felt like trying to ride a bar of soap. Pearled easily. Sold it to buy the Red woody.

Inland surfer blue lake (not quad fin). Super fun board! Very stable and quite fast. Great boat board for weights 125 to 240#. Durable. IMO prob on of the best all around "surf style" boards to have on the boat.

Inland surfer Red woody. Probably the coolest looking board I own. I just love the woody look. This board is the perfect board for the bigger guy. Really fast. Can be cruised or shreaded. Breaks loose for spins and you could easily get air if you know what you are doing (I don't LOL). Great for tandem riding with kids.

Phase 5 Drew Danillo Pro carbon XL.... A very fast board. This is really the first skim style board I have tried. I am a little too heavy for this board at 275#. My friends are having fun with it though. Very squirlly (I am sure its normal for a skim style) compared to surf style boards. I think the sky is the limit on this board as far as progressing. I would love to try the XXL size in this exact board. Probably easier than loosing 40 lbs LOL. I may sell this board but is kinda a cool board to keep on the boat for friends to ride so I can take good crash pics! Already have 2 crew members that want to buy this board if I do sell..... It is hand signed by Drew himself and has all his sponsors stickers all over it. Very cool looking board!

Phase 5 prop.... picked this almost new board up for $100 from the classifieds. Hoping my kids will try it soon. A 160# buddy of mine really liked it. I can't comment on it cause its way too small for me. Maybe if I had 2 of them I could use them like skiis. LMAO!!!

Hyperlite skurfer (old school). I was given this board by a friend. It had old hyperlite padded strap bindings on it. I figured it would be a good kid surfboard. Its a tri fin and about 5' long. I pulled off the bindings and added surf traction. This board has been the best jewel in my board quiver. This board is super easy to sink for starting, is lightening fast, and is very stable. Awesome board for anyone under 135# to learn and progress on . This board continues to impress me with what it can do!

Grindwater Ginsu.... Very very impressed with this board. For a 5' board it has an amazing ability to float my fat a$$. At 270 I could ride this board on my wave. It was like driving a sports car compared to my red woody. Fast and super agile. If I was 25# lighter I would be riding this board all the time. Very light but seems to be fragile. Preferred on my boat over the IS blue lake for more advanced riders.

Next purchase might have to be the TWP Bazooka 5'3". From what I am hearing its a step or two up from the IS red woody which right now is the best big guy board I have ridden. Or maybe the DD carbon XXL.... May have to sell that XL to fund the next board purchase.... or win the lottery.... Or loose 40# so I have more board options......

Edited by Bigcatpt

rizza32    0

Liquid Force Inlander-- Good starter board. Stable and very boyiant. Recently sold it.

PP Drew Carbon Large -- Fast, loose and by for the most responsive board I have ridden. Many describe it as loose but you have to get use to really using

the edges on that board and not rely on the single fin. Sharpest edges Ive seen on a board.

Inland Surfer Swallow -- First off a really cool lookin board with the wood exposed on the bottom. It is very stable and has a lot of speed. Have to ride with

my weight back more so on this board than the others. I have seen people spin this board around but more difficult for me than

the other boards.

Inland Surfer Sweet Spot -- Wider than the average board. Fun board. Took a few rides to get use to it. Has good speed and spins well. It is fairly light

compared to other surf style boards but not as light as the custom ones. I feel this is a great all around board for surf style

slayshes and surface tricks. Riding this one the most this year.

Kyle    0

Phase 5 Oogle, I bought as a demo from Shane in dallas.

We are new to surfing, I can free ride if enogh folks in the boat, but I don't have ballast yet.

I have introduced Surfing to 13 people using my board. Feels pretty quick and responsive, haven't tried any 360s.

I weigh just over 200 pounds But my kid at 125 uses it too with great success.

poosie    7

HL broadcast for the last 2 seasons. slow but great learner board and extremely durable which is good when with a boat full of newbies. picked up a grindwater shaka 5'4" and have been out a couple of times but not used to the speed of a real board. need more practice and this board is very fragile. the coating is thin as my board already has several edge dings which will require some minor solerez.

2008 Ronix Koal 5' Ridden with two small outside fins, Fast but feels big and hard to cut

2008 Liquid Force Custom 4'2" Center Fin. Love this board, Cuts great, easy 360's, but a little small for my wave.

Best board I have ridden is the Ronix Koal 4'6" 2010 Way better ride than my older 5' Koal

Im 170lbs.