chowder2016

Dead in the water again....

chowder2016    110

Boats been at the factory since Wednesday. Haven't heard any updates yet. Hope I get it back in time for this weekend. 

wheels    151
1 hour ago, chowder2016 said:

Boats been at the factory since Wednesday. Haven't heard any updates yet. Hope I get it back in time for this weekend. 

Please update us when you know. Good luck chowder. 

• Like 1

bradassault    1

Just curious guys is this issue just on the 257, I have a 17 217 and just wondering if i need to be careful as well, was thinking of putting some more weight in the back of the lockers but now I'm thinking not. And also I don't have the silent stinger plate and I looked in the exhaust port and there is no rubber flapper or anything in there???

On 6/4/2017 at 8:40 PM, carguy79ta said:

was killing it in the axis this weekend with about 3500 lb plus 1500 people lbs and when I was filling and burping the sacs I looked at the exhaust routing.  the catylitic converters..which were the high point of the exhaust system were a good 18 in above the exhaust port/flapper.  How high is the high point of the exhaust system above the flapper in the RI257?

The distance between the exhaust riser and the exhaust port is irrelevant. As long as the exhaust is underwater, its the level of the highest point of the exhaust in relation to the water level outside the boat that is important. Hence the reason extra weight in the back of the boat seems to be the common denominator hear..

257Tsunami    50
10 hours ago, bradassault said:

Just curious guys is this issue just on the 257, I have a 17 217 and just wondering if i need to be careful as well, was thinking of putting some more weight in the back of the lockers but now I'm thinking not. And also I don't have the silent stinger plate and I looked in the exhaust port and there is no rubber flapper or anything in there???

The problem seems to be mostly with the 257's. Sounds like there have been cases with the 237's. I personally haven't heard of the issue occurring with a 217, but that doesn't really mean anything.

With @chowder2016 - factory says it was just the starter. Everything else seems to be fine. Didn't hydrolock it or anything which means let's add MORE lead! Haha jk...

• Like 2

257Tsunami    50

Last night when we had all ballasts full, I had a look at the risers compared to the water line. They were without a doubt in dangerous territory for the issue discussed in this thread. I was surprised how low they sit compared to the water line. That was just with stock ballasts, 2 adults, and 2 young kids. Yikes.

• Like 1

carguy79ta    67

did it look like there was room to extend the riders higher like am inverted "pee trap"?  to get the top of the trap above the outside water level?

257Tsunami    50

I believe there was IIRC. There should be substantial clearance to put higher risers in there. Who knows, it may be an update we see in the coming years.

carguy79ta    67

it would be nice if the update came in the next 2 weeks since that is when mine will be done...if not that might be a mod we do.  the exhaust is somewhat cooled by then so a big fabbed U pipe with silicone adaptors(like on cold side of turbo builds) and band clamps would do it.

257Tsunami    50

I'll be doing as @Bawshogg does. We are going to run the boat and continue to enjoy it as we have been. Should the problem arise we'll deal with it than. That's what warranty is for. I'm not going to assume that the boat is going to break down on me. If it does, the downtime and mess around will suck for sure. But I don't want to modify things and risk having a warranty claim denied down the road.

• Like 1

carguy79ta    67

I agree and that will be my coarse of action also.  I penciled a sketch of the inverted per trap idea and sent it to my dealer

MistyCreek    3

Any updates on this issue? We are hoping the factory reps and engineers have something to say about this problem.  I worry about this far more than I would like to admit while out on the water.  I definitely don't want the problems which have been described in this thread.

Darkside    248
1 hour ago, MistyCreek said:

Any updates on this issue? We are hoping the factory reps and engineers have something to say about this problem.  I worry about this far more than I would like to admit while out on the water.  I definitely don't want the problems which have been described in this thread.

Drain your ramfills before floating for long periods and you should be fine.   

• Like 3

Bawshogg    77

I'm glad I don't suffer from anxiety like some of you. 

Life is too short to stress yourself out about what "might" happen. 

Cross that bridge when you get to it. 

• Like 1

257Tsunami    50
On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎13 at 7:02 PM, Bawshogg said:

I'm glad I don't suffer from anxiety like some of you. 

Life is too short to stress yourself out about what "might" happen. 

Cross that bridge when you get to it. 

x2

We've floated a bunch with all ballasts full. No issues here.