chowder2016

Dead in the water again....

chowder2016    110

Now the starter seems to have gone out.  Super embarrassing being at ski beach on the delta. Hundreds of boats and Im the one boat out there getting towed in by BoatUs. Another weekend ruined.  I left Malibu to avoid this crap....maybe I should just get a pontoon boat. 

• Like 1

carguy79ta    67

hang in there Chowder.  you got the first xr7 257 right?  shouldn't be this way.  hammer the dealer.  keep the faith.  your boat puts out 2x the wave of all else out  there and your dealer and Centurion will make it right.

• Like 4

Darkside    248

Chowder,  i lost my starter a week ago.  The problem was not tree starter, but the exhaust flapper inside tge silent stinger.  The flapper got stuck open, allowing water to back up and hydro lock the engine.  The starter fried trying to crank the engine.  So flapper AND starter replaced.   

So have them check your flapper!

• Like 1

wheels    151
15 minutes ago, Darkside said:

Chowder,  i lost my starter a week ago.  The problem was not tree starter, but the exhaust flapper inside tge silent stinger.  The flapper got stuck open, allowing water to back up and hydro lock the engine.  The starter fried trying to crank the engine.  So flapper AND starter replaced.   

So have them check your flapper!

So is there a fix for this? Is there a chance of this happening again?

Dark side!! I was with Chowder today. That makes a lot of sense since the belts wouldn't turn to move the engine at all. It was like the engine was locked. 

Whats the fix?

chowder2016    110

Dropped it off at the dealer today. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. In the meantime Memorial Day is ruined.  

wheels    151

Thanks chowder. Sorry to hear on your luck. 

Darkside    248

Solution is bolt replacement in the flapper, new starter, and oil change.  Fairly simple fix, that should prevent reoccuring.   The flapper is inside silent stinger.  

When this happened we were fully weighted so tush end was DEEP.  Platform was calf deep.  We stopped for lunch and it would not restart, alternator smoked, literally smoked! 

Same thing we had to be towed in.  Totally screwed the weekend.  However all better and got boat back last Friday.   

Edited by Darkside
  • Like 1

chowder2016    110
1 hour ago, Darkside said:

Solution is bolt replacement in the flapper, new starter, and oil change.  Fairly simple fix, that should prevent reoccuring.   The flapper is inside silent stinger.  

When this happened we were fully weighted so tush end was DEEP.  Platform was calf deep.  We stopped for lunch and it would not restart, alternator smoked, literally smoked! 

Same thing we had to be towed in.  Totally screwed the weekend.  However all better and got boat back last Friday.   

That makes sense. We filled up the PNP and the transom bag with the new bigger ones from the factory + 1500 lbs of lead.  Standing on the swim deck it was probably a good 20 inches under water. And then she wouldn't  start. 

Edited by chowder2016
Typo

Darkside    248
6 hours ago, chowder2016 said:

That makes sense. We filled up the PNP and the transom bag with the new bigger ones from the factory + 1500 lbs of lead.  Standing on the swim deck it was probably a good 20 inches under water. And then she wouldn't  start. 

I am close to the same, 1000 pounds vs 1500 in lead.... give your dealer a heads up,  other wise they are likely to only swap the starter and this WILL HAPPEN AGAIN, if they don't fix the flapper!

This is kinda the poohs but it is a hazard with first gen.  Like you i left Malibu due to reliability, i expect a few issues, yours have been much worse than mine and hopefully they are close to being sorted out.

~Joe

Edited by Darkside

Bongo Fury    640
Just now, chowder2016 said:

So sorry to hear about the issues you are having.  I had something knock my old Falcon V off the water on a 4th of July weekend....sucks for sure especially with a brand new boat.  Seems like most of the time issues occur in the first 20 hours then your good to go...hope it all gets sorted out for you!   Gotta admit....my eyes got wide when I saw 1500 lbs of lead.....seems crazy to me and strange that those big boats require so much extra weight and I slam my boat pretty hard.  

cripper    8

So is there a preventive fix for this so it doesn't happen in future?? Is flap getting stuck on bolt head or something similar? 

On 5/29/2017 at 2:03 AM, chowder2016 said:

Well.. there's your problem.  Without a doubt you're getting the water level over the level of the risers on the engine. To be honest, 20" over the swim deck is kind of insane, and on an Ri237 that's definitely over the rub rail and probably close to or over the rear storage compartment/transom seat.  An engine should never rely on an exhaust flapper to prevent hydrolocking. You need to be aware of the water level in relation to the exhaust risers when putting that much extra weight in the boat. Even a flapper that's working perfectly will let some water past and if you're weighted too much, it will eventually flood the engine.  You'll have to chill with the lead or atleast redistribute it. If not, you will have this issue again as this is a matter of too much weight in the rear of the boat.. If it really did hydrolock, and the boat was really weighted that deep, you can't really blame the boat on this one. 

• Like 1

Bawshogg    77

I had this EXACT discussion with another dealer recently about this issue. I deduced the same findings as you are describing. Our question is where exactly is said "flap' located on the boats equipped with the silent stinger? I too have never seen an exhaust "flap" that will completely seal off the flow of water. Typically they are there to keep water from being pushed back up the exhaust when you come off the throttle . Water naturally finds its own level per say. If your exhaust ports are lower than the water line and you sit there long enough, flapper or no flapper, water will eventually make its way into the cylinders with exhaust valves open.

daz28iroc    73

I would disagree with south shore, the manufacturer is in the wrong here.

designing a boat to have high freeboard which is in turn to have the boat have the ability to sit deeper in the water, the exhaust should be correctly routed to avoid this very situation. there is some missing forethought on their part here.

this boat is not some cheap run of the mill boat, it is sold with a single purpose of surfing.

• Like 2

Darkside    248

There is a really, really fast and simple fix that i am going to start doing.   DRAIN the Ram fill before stopping for lunch or extended float.  45 seconds to drain less than 30 to fill, no big deal.

I don't buy platform 20" under water.  Mine is calf deep, so 10-12" or so.   

Second i would put the blame on Manufacturer as in my case i run a small crew only 5 people in board when this happened.  So i was well within weight guidelines.

I personally did not take anything apart, i had dealer do ALL THE WORK, that way i am not part of the problem.  The dealer told me it was hydrolock issue.

@daz28iroc make no mistake they are decent wakeboard boat as well.  However surfing is amazing behind these. 

257Tsunami    50
55 minutes ago, daz28iroc said:

I would disagree with south shore, the manufacturer is in the wrong here.

designing a boat to have high freeboard which is in turn to have the boat have the ability to sit deeper in the water, the exhaust should be correctly routed to avoid this very situation. there is some missing forethought on their part here.

this boat is not some cheap run of the mill boat, it is sold with a single purpose of surfing.

The 257 now comes with over 6000lbs of ballast from the factory (taking into account the updated PnP bags). The boat is setup perfectly to handle that. You get that kind of weight and the boat still sits high above the water and doesn't dip the nose while running a ton of factory ballast. It's safe, dry, and comfortable, while still producing a GIANT wave. That's the reason for the extra freeboard. The idea wasn't so that you can add another 10,000lbs on top of the factory ballast and have a perfectly reliable machine. The whole idea behind the 257 is that you don't need to add anything to have the best surf wave out there (out of the box). Not like Malibu's and other brands where you need to add a ton of extra weight to produce an acceptable surf wave. The way Centurion designed this boat in stock form is perfect. I'm sure when they brought this product to market they were thinking there would never be any reason to have to add more weight. But as with any boat, lots of folks like to push the limits the best they can. It's understandable for sure. But the 257 comes as a hell of a package from the factory. IMO it's unreasonable to expect them to stand behind their product when it fails as a result of being modified from it's original form. No different than expecting GM, Ford, or Dodge to warranty a transmission on a truck that has been deleted and chipped to add 200HP over stock. I could maybe see an argument on a boat such as a 23 LSV where Malibu might not want to warranty something because a guy installed rear PnP bags. The stock ballast is just not sufficient for a boat that is supposed to be equipped for surfing from the factory. They should be expecting that the boat will be running extra ballast. Now take a 257 with the ballast it has from the factory (including PnP)........ different story. With that said, I haven't heard of this specific issue happening on other brands while being heavily weighted. But they come with their share of issues as well when you start weighting them down. There comes a point when you can't expect warranty on everything and anything regardless of how you modify or use the machine. Regardless, it sounds like Centurion is warranting this issue anyways. And they'll likely come out with a better fix in the coming year. That's going above and beyond in my eyes. If we start seeing this issue with factory weighted boats, now we have a different discussion for sure.

For those experiencing this issue, my biggest concern would be whether your dealer has truly eliminated all of the water out of the engine. A single oil change simply won't take care of flushing all of the water out of a hydrolocked engine. It takes multiple oil AND filter changes to do this. If it is not done properly, any leftover water will cause premature wear and pitting on your engine bearings, liners, etc. That is going to cause huge issues.

Second i would put the blame on Manufacturer as in my case i run a small crew only 5 people in board when this happened.  So i was well within weight guidelines.

EDIT: In all fairness, the manufacturer does have to take this ^^^^^^^^ into account for sure.

Edited by 257Tsunami

NAW    2

Bummed to hear issues like this, regardless of boat/manufacturer.

But, with all this weight that everyone is running (and the rear biased distribution of it in these 257's), at what point do you stop?

It seems to me that so many are focusing on having this insane wave that looks good on the internet, rather than being a better wakesurfer with the factory wake.  

If people focused on learning to be a better wakesurfer with proper technique and coaching, instead of slamming the crap out of your new boat, I doubt as many 'reliability' issues would surface.   

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Status Updates

• Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      EMAIL; papandmamazungu@gmail.com
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

· 0 replies
    • Edward  »  lamb80782

I see Lamb80782 had the same remove the driver seat as I am having.
      I didn't see the ulitmate solution.  I think removing "stop" would be the solution but am unable to see very well under the seat.  Has anyone come up with the solution?
      I also am reoving to have re-uphostered.  Itried removing the black access cover but it is very tight under there and not enough room for a regular wrench.  May try a 1/4 rachet drive.
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/S37erPn8an8fDkHBA of seat.
      · 0 replies
    • Smcclellan  »  InfinitySurf

Good morning. I saw you talked about replacing the ram fill valves. I have a 2021 ri237 with a broken valve   It’s under warranty but dealer is going to be very slow to fix it.  Which wiring harness do I need to make sure I have  when I order off of Amazon.  Thank you scott 
      · 0 replies
    • Benji  »  Dreamer

Roswell Bimini for sale. New condition. It’s off of a new ri245. Great low price! Please reply to chat!
      Benji
      · 1 reply
  • Topics

• Popular Contributors

Nobody has received reputation this week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy..