Mmarsh

No push on the darkside! Help!

Mmarsh    59

For Father's Day my wonderful family "took me" surfing at Lake Tahoe. I swore I wasn't Therston Howel enough for Tahoe, but it is SO beautiful I can deal with the yuppies to have world class views and essentially be alone. I'm a goofy footer and a decent sized one at that (6' 220) so also for Father's Day I picked up an Inland Surfer Red Rocket. I was so pumped to finally try out my A plate new board and 500lbs of lead. After frustrating everyone on the boat by moving weight around and dorking with the A plate I looked back to see a beautiful left. I threw on my wetsuit top and jumped in...no push. Sped up. Slowed down...No push. So here's what produce the best looking wave:

-2014 Avalanche

-Darkside ballast full + 120lbs of lead in the rear of the locker

-Center ballast full

-"regular" ballast empty + 120lbs of lead in the rear of the locker

-200lbs of lead under the darkside corner seat.

-A plate at 50%

-hottest 118lb driver in America.

-2 groms totaling 110lbs behind the driver.

Looked great, doesn't hold up. So what do I do?

Thanks in advance.

dfb8bc454e2decd5da980821fc0674a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will say center ballast always hurt my regular wave in my Avy. That's as far as I can go with this one.

stoked    1,039

How far was your rub rail from the water? You want it as close as possible (if not in it).

phillewis    39

Yes, slam that sucker! I used to bury my rubrail 1-2" below the waterline on my Avy for the darkside... Amazing wave!

Mmarsh    59

My rub rail was about an inch out of the water. Sounds like I need some bigger crew members. Next trip is in 6 days and I'll have access to 1,000lbs of people. I'll cover the vent and bury that rub rail

Thanks for the help

Troy    234

I have 2008 Avy.

Custom sac on Starboard

Center full

Custom A-plate full up.

speed somewhere between 10.7-11.2mph

I was told by a guy that owns an Enzo (230 i think) that my wave has a bunch of push and his back leg was cramping.

Pics in this thread.

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/11128-june-pics-and-video-thread-2016/page-3

Nick213    583

Troy, do you have the dimensions of that custom starboard Avy sac?

Jake707    171

Dam! you guys would burry the rub rail under the water? That's not sketchy haha I guess I just need to sac up a bit and tell my wife to relax. We only had 800 on one side last time and she was nervous enough. Especially when another boat came by surfing while we were changing riders and their wake from about 40' away dam near washed in the boat.

Nick213    583

Lol; she will get used to it!

Yes it looks kinda sketchy and you will get a little water coming onto the sun pad but won't sink the boat.

My Avy the rail was way under. My Enzo the rail is way way way under. The vents if not plugged off, would cause my boat to take on so much water the thing would quickly drown the engine... With both bilge pumps running.

Slam it! Surf it. Tell the would be rescuers who come to look you are ok.

• Like 2

Bongo Fury    640

Slam it! Surf it. Tell the would be rescuers who come to look you are ok.

X2!!!

Mmarsh    59

I wish some of you guys were closer. It'd probably help to see some of your boats sacked over. As it is right now I'm like "is this good?" Feels like being 14 with a girl again. I think I'm doing it right based on what I've seen in pictures and videos but years later I'll look back and think "man you really were lost weren't you"

• Like 3

You'll know when it's good. You'll ask yourself is it too much? Then the wave will be awesome.

• Like 1

stoked    1,039
I wish some of you guys were closer. It'd probably help to see some of your boats sacked over. As it is right now I'm like "is this good?" Feels like being 14 with a girl again. I think I'm doing it right based on what I've seen in pictures and videos but years later I'll look back and think "man you really were lost weren't you"

Go to the crew weekend! I think it's in August this year

• Like 1

Nick213    583

Go to the crew weekend! I think it's in August this year

X2!!!!

You can ask a bunch of questions, get answers, see and ride a bunch of boats!

Such a great time to be had, wish I could commit to going this year but I'll have to see how much the month of July cost me first :(

Mmarsh    59

I would LOVE to but 1,400 miles is a long haul and abandoning my boat/flying a family of 4 out sounds pricey. Guess I'll be the lone centurion ranger up here in Northern Nevada

DarksideR    1,679

Wives always freak out when the boats slammed to one side. It's important to always be on the lookout for waves coming at your boat while sitting. Be ready to point the bow at the waves so not to get swamped. Usually by people coming to your rescue like said above.

• Like 1

My rub rail was about an inch out of the water. Sounds like I need some bigger crew members. Next trip is in 6 days and I'll have access to 1,000lbs of people. I'll cover the vent and bury that rub rail Thanks for the help Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You want the rub rail submerged a good 2 inches for the goofy side. In my 230+ I run 1100 lb bag plus 200 lead in rear locker, 500 lb in QF hard tank, 200 lb bag under mid-seat, and about 200 lb in the bow footwell under my filler cushion. With a light crew (less than 3 adults in the boat including the driver) I also run 2 Fat Bricks (155 lbs each) on the seat. I will run a little bit of weight in the off-side QF tank also but not sure exactly how much. typically I fill it up and then make a test run to finish dialing in the wave and start draining the Starboard QF while underway until the darkside wave cleans up nice. The fat bricks are a great way to add weight when you need it and stow when you don't plus at only 155 lbs you can move them around easier than a bigger sack. On my boat the darkside needs more weight than the regular side, I can get a great regular wave with my rub rail touching the water but not submerged.

Troy    234