mylesm260

Need to tow SV240 W/ Tahoe: load distribution hitch need

mylesm260    0

So to stir the pot some if a half ton can only tow 5000lbs how does a distro hitch fix that ?? are you still not being negligent if you are towing more LBS than your rig is designed to stop ?? LOL

First you need to understand the concept of how a distro hitch actually works.

In a regular "weight carrying" situation, your truck / suv is like a titer-totter. The pivot point is your rear axle.

As you add weight to the hitch, you're subtracting weight from the front axle.

Now, in a static position, when both the truck and trailer are parked, the math is pretty simple. Distance to rear axle defines the ratio. So let's say that static, 600 lbs on the tongue subtracts 120lbs from the front wheels.

Make sense?

Now, your going down the road, and poohs bouncing all over the place.

Your boat is "surging" 2500 lbs on the tongue. That means your front axle is "surging" -1000 lbs. (we've all felt it while towing)

The lack of weight on the front axle significantly reduces traction, which reduces steering and breaking.

now in 99% of situations, I'm sure it's fine. I've never really contested the actual "safety" of towing 6K without a distro on a half-ton. The issue is the NTSB and the lawyers.

They looked at the math and simply said that 5K is the limit. any more, and you either need a 3/4 or a 1 ton, or you need a distro hitch to put some of the weight back on the front axle.

if you read the articles I've posted, it basically says that for all practical purposes, your insurance is void. If you don't believe me, call up your broker, it's their job to answer those questions.

mylesm260    0

I put my 2007 SV230 on the scales and the total weight of the boat and trailer with gear and a half a tank of gas was 6500#'s. My current boat, SV244, is 7000#'s with no gear and a half a tank of fuel.

did you factor in the tongue weight too, or should we be mentally doing ~600lbs to those figures?

mylesm260    0

And highly illegal in BC, you also have to have brakes on all axles over a certain weight...., and most half tonnes don't have enough brake capacity to handle a 5k trailer, I warped my Tahoes rotors with 3800 lbs, but since upgraded to stop tech rotors and hawk ceramic pads and have not a problem since....

Well... yeah... brakes on a gimmie... NOBODY thinks you can tow 6K without brakes.....

mylesm260    0

OK that's it all you half ton towing SUV pulling boat owners need to put your boats up tell you get the proper tow rig LOL. This thread is getting stupid we all know you can only tow your boat with a big diesel truck ROTFLMAO.

Did you read the article I linked entitled "Know Your Limits: Towing more than 5k pounds with a half-ton pickup is against the law"

http://www.equipmentworld.com/know-your-limits-towing-more-than-5k-pounds-with-a-half-ton-pickup-is-against-the-law/

article1.jpg

or the other one entitled " Towing Liability: Pickup Tow Ratings Explained"

http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/pickup-trucks-tow-ratings-and-liability/

article2.jpg

shawndoggy    49

if you read the articles I've posted, it basically says that for all practical purposes, your insurance is void. If you don't believe me, call up your broker, it's their job to answer those questions.

Maybe you could just post a direct quote from the article where it says that? Because I read it again and can't find anything remotely close to that.

While the title of the article does have the eye catching "against the law" language, nowhere in the article does it discuss what law is being broken (other than an implication of negligence liability), nor does it say "your insurance is void."

Edited by shawndoggy

h20king    794

That's why I have a 1 ton truck with a super hitch, super springs and air bags. The truck also has a jake brake so I think im good. If what your saying is true you need a new tow rig :)

mylesm260    0

Maybe you could just post a direct quote from the article where it says that? Because I read it again and can't find anything remotely close to that.

While the title of the article does have the eye catching "against the law" language, nowhere in the article does it discuss what law is being broken (other than an implication of negligence liability), nor does it say "your insurance is void."

Yeah, the title is click bait for sure.

but here's some quotes if you want em......

"The differences between weight-carrying and weight-distributing hitch setups are worlds apart when it comes to maximum towing capacity: While weight-carrying limits range between 5,000 and 8,500 pounds for heavy duty pickups, weight-distributing ratings can top 18,000 pounds."

"Towing without regard to the properly-equipped limitations instantly makes the driver face the “Law of Negligence” charge in the eyes of an astute attorney and opens the door wide for a lawsuit."

"The negligence issue gets back to the tow vehicle being “properly equipped.”"

"A properly-equipped vehicle has everything the manufacturer deems necessary to tow up to the maximum towing capacity: the specified engine and transmission; the right bed and cab configuration; the exact axle ratio; and the correct hitch setup."

"The hitch is what determines immediately if a pickup can tow a little or a lot. For example, all Ford, Dodge and GM ½-ton pickups are limited to 5,000-pound trailered weights using a conventional hitch setup, while pre-2010 GM heavy-duty pickups are limited to 7,500 pounds. (The 2010-newer GM HD pickups have higher tow rating.)"

"Ignore the vehicle’s maximum tow ratings, and words such as “properly-equipped,” “weight-carrying,” and “weight-distributing,” then you assume all responsibility for whatever happens down the towing road. – PT"

It's pretty clear..........

mylesm260    0

That's why I have a 1 ton truck with a super hitch, super springs and air bags. The truck also has a jake brake so I think im good. If what your saying is true you need a new tow rig :)

No... the tahoe can do it, it just needs a distro hitch, hence the post in the first place. :laughing:

shawndoggy    49

Right... you are exposed to negligence liability. No dispute about that. Just like you would be for bald tires, bad brakes, etc.

What I am asking for is where the article says that "for all practical purposes your insurance is void." The article says NOTHING like that. If insurance didn't cover negligence, what good would it do?

mylesm260    0

Right... you are exposed to negligence liability. No dispute about that. Just like you would be for bald tires, bad brakes, etc.

What I am asking for is where the article says that "for all practical purposes your insurance is void." The article says NOTHING like that. If insurance didn't cover negligence, what good would it do?

it is a good point.

I guess you would have to read the fine print in your insurance policy, or call your broker and ask them.

h20king    794

No... the tahoe can do it, it just needs a distro hitch, hence the post in the first place. :laughing:

better read again you don't have the stopping power tow ratting is based on more than just the hitch :) Edited by h20king

WakeDoc    471

I can tell you this for a fact, if you are driving a 2008 Dodge 1500 Quad Cad and some hits you broad side in the rear quarter panel no type of hitch is going to save you. Ironically all four trailer tires had flat spots on them from the surge brakes locking up. Not one person ever questioned my tow rating, not one of the fleet of police officers, firemen or tow truck drivers at the scene as well as the insurance agent for the truck or the insurance agent for the boat and trailer. Actually until I read this thread today I had never even thought about tow ratings. One thing this thread has not done is question everything together, tongue weight, tow rating, tire rating, what type of trailer brakes and whether they work. The bottom line is do what ever you feel you need to do to insure family, friends and yourself are safe when towing and hopefully you never have to experience what happens "IF" like we did a few years ago.

Where we came to rest after spinning out of control across seven lanes of traffic. Notice trailer still attached to truck.

gallery_66_113_12924.jpg

Truck came to stop in north bound lanes, boat stopped on the other side of the divider in the south bound lanes.

gallery_66_113_59598.jpg

I cannot even imagine how much this accident cost between damage and emergency personal, that was left behind us.

gallery_66_113_28249.jpg

Rig heading to the Dealership, very surreal day, only thing that mattered at the end of the day is everyone walked away.

gallery_66_113_11968.jpg

While you can prepare and buy all the safety gear, hitches, etc. in the world you cannot prepare for the other people on the road which are usually the cause of most trailer accidents. Insure things correctly, pay extra attention and drive safe, we never thought it would happen to us.

• Like 3

boatnut    230
I can tell you this for a fact, if you are driving a 2008 Dodge 1500 Quad Cad and some hits you broad side in the rear quarter panel no type of hitch is going to save you. Ironically all four trailer tires had flat spots on them from the surge brakes locking up. Not one person ever questioned my tow rating, not one of the fleet of police officers, firemen or tow truck drivers at the scene as well as the insurance agent for the truck or the insurance agent for the boat and trailer. Actually until I read this thread today I had never even thought about tow ratings. One thing this thread has not done is question everything together, tongue weight, tow rating, tire rating, what type of trailer brakes and whether they work. The bottom line is do what ever you feel you need to do to insure family, friends and yourself are safe when towing and hopefully you never have to experience what happens "IF" like we did a few years ago.

Where we came to rest after spinning out of control across seven lanes of traffic. Notice trailer still attached to truck.

Truck came to stop in north bound lanes, boat stopped on the other side of the divider in the south bound lanes.

I cannot even imagine how much this accident cost between damage and emergency personal, that was left behind us.

Rig heading to the Dealership, very surreal day, only thing that mattered at the end of the day is everyone walked away.

While you can prepare and buy all the safety gear, hitches, etc. in the world you cannot prepare for the other people on the road which are usually the cause of most trailer accidents. Insure things correctly, pay extra attention and drive safe, we never thought it would happen to us.

Omg that looks like a bad boyz movie scene, glad everybody is safe, it looks like you didnt everything right, question, did the boat bust the winch strap, safety hook, and back straps as well... ?

Sata3000    15

I am a licensed adjusted for a major insurance company and we would not deny liability for this. A non standard company may but your big companies will not. The insurance company would have to prove without a doubt that the insured knew that the vehicle was unable handle the weight and even at that point there is still coverage and let's face it insurance does cover stupidity. Worst thing that would happen for the insured is property damage amounts over insurers limits. Take this example insured driving with bald tires tire blows and causes accident. Insured gets vehicle repaired minus said blowed tire due this was the cause of the loss and all property fanged covered within PD limits. Hope this helps as far as insurance

• Like 1

viking    491

Wakedoc that is just painful to look at. But your right that as long as everyone is safe the boat and truck at the end of the day is just "stuff" that can be replaced. Loved ones cannot.

Still difficult to view the carnage :(

• Like 1

shawndoggy    49

I am a licensed adjusted for a major insurance company and we would not deny liability for this. A non standard company may but your big companies will not. The insurance company would have to prove without a doubt that the insured knew that the vehicle was unable handle the weight and even at that point there is still coverage and let's face it insurance does cover stupidity. Worst thing that would happen for the insured is property damage amounts over insurers limits. Take this example insured driving with bald tires tire blows and causes accident. Insured gets vehicle repaired minus said blowed tire due this was the cause of the loss and all property fanged covered within PD limits. Hope this helps as far as insurance

zactly. Thanks for sharing the real world industry viewpoint.

• Like 2