Nate2215    25

Hey everyone

I am incredibly new to the towboat world, I have owned a few I/Os and am a pretty seasoned boater but I realized that water sports is my focus on the water so a towboat makes the most sense for my boating lifestyle. I bought a 2015 supreme S21 this spring and just got it out for the first time this afternoon (pretty amazing)

The water is still too cold for getting into but it was nice to cruise around in the sunshine!

My question is: how do you know where your ballast tanks are at?

I understand the plug and plays, you can look at them and when they are full water will pump out of the side of the boat, but the quickfill ballast, for all I know the valve could be stuck and for someone that is used to an I/O where the wake is what it is and there's very little changing it, it might seem hard to know whether they are full or not, also when do you know to close the valves?

Thanks a ton and I apologize for my lack of knowledge!

Nate

Edited by Nate2215
  • Like 1

boatnut    230

No real way to know if the quick fills are full or not, except the boat will sit further in the water, , you should leave em open for about 1 min and 20 seconds then close them , You will feel the air rushing out one of the ports as well on the side of your boat, as well to empty them hit anything faster then, 10mph and open them and wait for about a 2 Min's and then close them, and then slow down again and go about your business, did your dealer not take you for a shake down Run?

Edited by boatnut

DarksideR    1,679

Firstly, welcome to the Crew!

Second, post a pic of your new baby in the "show us your rides" thread. We all love to see peoples new babies!

Third, boatnut nailed it. Get a few people to put their hands over all of the vent through hulls and open up the gates No pumps running! You want to feel air pushing out of the holes.

Nate2215    25

Excellent! Thanks boatnut and darksideR!

I will post some pics as soon as I get some, the place I launched didn't have the dock out yet so I didn't even get to see what my boat looks like in the water.

As far as the dealer, they went over pretty much everything, we didn't go out for a run because I bought the boat pre-season (for the supreme "clear the decks" deal)

I know, I know, most people would think I'm crazy for buying a boat without water testing, but for my price range there were really only a couple boats I was interested in, sanger V237 (nice boat but boring looks and very low freeboard not to mention small amount of ballast without putting sacks under seats and stuff). Moomba möbius (same thing low freeboard, pretty boring) Centurion ss210 ( nice boat but more money for what felt like a smaller boat)

And finally Axis T22 ( nice boat but the floor flexed in the back and the dash panels seemed loose, one was actually popped out when I first got in the boat. Fit and finish was, what the dealer said it was, functional, and finally still felt smaller than the S21)

I find the s21 functional where it needs to be to get the price where it is but fit and finish still extremely high end compared to its competitors. So far I am so happy with it, coming from a four winns and a chaparral (somewhat high end for I/Os) there isn't even a comparison on quality!

boatnut    230

No question on your choice, I was debating between the s21 and 226 and the 210ss, what made me choose the 210 was the traditional v nose styling and I love the small size, it handles like a small sports car :)...

Troy    234

Welcome!

Bongo Fury    640

Nate....Welcome to the site. On your quick fills you can open and close when the boat is on the trailer or lift to see them and hear them open and close. I extended my fill and empty times to be sure they were full and empty. We also keep them open when the boat is on the lift so if there is anything left in them they will drain out. We once forgot to drain them....lift had trouble raising the boat....when we realized what happened we opened them up and it was like a waterfall out of the back of the boat!

viking    491

I don't beleive you can program the fill/empty times on the Supremes can you? It's just a rocker switch since there is no fancy tv screen to play with :)

• Like 1

Bongo Fury    640

I don't beleive you can program the fill/empty times on the Supremes can you? It's just a rocker switch since there is no fancy tv screen to play with :)

I don't know.....I have mine on the screen...assumed they would be the same but now that you mention it probably not. You can still open and close to visually inspect right?

Edited by Bongo Fury

viking    491

Oh ya. You can hear them open and close. And maybe there is a timer that can be adjusted? Not sure yet. Only played with mine on trailer since still trying to get breakin hours I didn't play with any ballast during the 1 and only time I"ve had it on the water so far this year :(

When I get more into it I can report back!!

boatnut    230

Supremes just have a drainmaster switch, nothing else, their are no timers, and yes you here them, when it's quiet, and on the trailer of you shine a light up there you can see the gate as wellddb2c775eb5f940da3af467d5fc39d8f.jpgf88ac5a8aafb38854a85e24be8565024.jpg

RVR-RAT    269

In the top picture your gate looks like it is only 1/2 open/closed. Maybe you took the picture while the gate was moving ??? My starboard side was a bit sticky till I sprayed silicone on it and open and closed it several times on the trailer.

Nate2215    25

Rvr Rat

I think that's just the manual "override" hand valve that you see down half way, mine is like that too as its sitting on the trailer right this second. Probably just rattles down with trailering for any amount of distance. You can see that the valve is closed in behind

You just took silicone spray and sprayed up the hole?

That seems like a great idea to keep them lubed up!

Nate

RVR-RAT    269

Rvr Rat

I think that's just the manual "override" hand valve that you see down half way, mine is like that too as its sitting on the trailer right this second. Probably just rattles down with trailering for any amount of distance. You can see that the valve is closed in behind

You just took silicone spray and sprayed up the hole?

That seems like a great idea to keep them lubed up!

Nate

Copy that!!! I can't see the valve closed in the picture just trying to keep Boatnut happy on the water!!

Yes I closed the gates and sprayed the valve while in the closed position and cycled it open and closed several times ( if that makes sense!)

Edited by RVR-RAT

DarksideR    1,679

Copy that!!! I can't see the valve closed in the picture just trying to keep Boatnut happy on the water!!

Yes I closed the gates and sprayed the valve while in the closed position and cycled it open and closed several times ( if that makes sense!)

Ditto. Except I sprayed some with it open too.

boatnut    230

That half closed pic is actually the Manual gate valve.... But the other shows a closed valve....

boatnut    230
In the top picture your gate looks like it is only 1/2 open/closed. Maybe you took the picture while the gate was moving ??? My starboard side was a bit sticky till I sprayed silicone on it and open and closed it several times on the trailer.

I wish you could spray them on the inside :) perhaps a long tube and half close the valve and you can get it from behind

Nate2215    25

The dealer where I bought my boat said he puts grease on a stick and rubs it in there with the valve 1/2 open, I guess silicone grease would be preferred. I can't see that oil based grease would be good for the plastic.

• Like 1