BillC4

Big Boy Fly Boy or Soulcraft Hanu

BillC4    24

I'm looking to upgrade, and I see a lot of comments about both. I'm leaning towards the Soulcraft as Jeff can make it with custom colors. What do you think?

I'm 6',1" and 235.

truekaotik    458

This is how I look at it. I do not get the enjoyment to "test" boards. Having said that, if you have tested each style then you will know right away. If not, posting a question like this is like Buying and trying..... I could, or anyone like our infamous fan boys, can say either is the top choice. Although, if you havnt rode either of them, it may be a 180 on your impression of it... Everyone has their preference... 50/50 on high end technical vs durable...

Edited by truekaotik

DarksideR    1,679

I'll agree with true on this to a certain amount. They're probably both great boards. I've only rode the BigBoy so I'll say that it's a very nice high performance board. Probably more durable than the Soulcraft. But still to this date, the Soulcraft Jetty I rode briefly in Texas is my favorite board I've ever ridden. You probably can't go wrong with either choice really.

stoked    1,039

I recently upgraded to the Big Boy from a Broadcast and I love it. I'm 6'4" 220 and the board is super buoyant which greatly cut down on my washing out the back which was my biggest problem with the skim, it's also much faster. But I'm with Dark and true, I haven't ridden a Soulcraft and it really comes down to what you want and your style. For me it came down to getting a super good deal on the Big Boy (when you do make a choice, post here and someone might be able to hook you up).

surf moocher    127

I'm looking to upgrade, and I see a lot of comments about both. I'm leaning towards the Soulcraft as Jeff can make it with custom colors. What do you think?

I'm 6',1" and 235.

I own the BBFB and have ridden Big's version of the Hanu once. Durability, absolutely the BBFB, very well made and really light weight with the carbon rails.

However, Jeff will do you right at SC and can put an extra layer of high end glass to increase durability. I love how snappy and quick the BBFB is, but it did take a little while to figure it out compared to the Blue Lake I had been riding. It isn't a cruiser board, I'm usually pumping and moving all over the wave with the BBFB, which is great.

Also, here's the thing with the BBFB, at 6'3" 230 lbs, my wave has to be dialed in to make the board do what I want(airs, slides, spins), which it usually is given the 2100 lbs of ballast and switchblade. Note, there is a change in performance when I've gained a few lbs (laying around the houseboat on Lake Powell) and am up near 240 lbs . Given your size and weight, you are at the upper limit.

Unless you get a screaming deal on a BBFB I would recommend the custom SC given the price is pretty similar.

• Like 1

surf moocher    127

I still think we need a board review section on the CCC. Click on a board and see everyone's review including boat and rider specs.

• Like 5

RhuntIII    555

A board review on CCC is still an excellent idea.

• Like 1

Bigcatpt    408

I agree with everything Moocher said. The BBFB will probably be more durable than a Soulcraft. The BBFB is for sure an awesome board but you are right on the upper weight limit of it. Jeff can build you a Soulcraft catered to your size. But you can't go wrong with either board. You could probably have a James Walker signature model made to whatever size you want as well. But I suspect it will be more expensive than the other two options. If there had been an option for a XL BBFB (something around 5'1" or 5'2") I would have definitely looked into that before my purchase. But there are just not very many options for performance boards for my size guys.....so custom was my only option.

Edited by Bigcatpt

BillC4    24

Great points! I'm going with the soul craft so I can get custom colors!

Thanks for the response.

• Like 1

BillC4    24

Here is the proposed board by Jeff! I'm stoked!

post-5379-0-82452800-1428545832_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

RhuntIII    555

Irie.

stoked    1,039

Here is the proposed board by Jeff! I'm stoked!

I'm stoked

duramat    462

I'm stoked

Pun intended

• Like 2

BillC4    24

I'm stoked

Very good! Got a good chuckle.

It's a 4'10".