Shaka

The Hand Wringing Begins

Shaka    146

On July 4th we had a trailer ing incident where the boat ended up sideways and running into the back of the trailer. Other was a clank but I wasn't sure it it was hull, skew, or prop. I did a quick inspection and everything seemed ok.

Yesterday I launched but got vibration almost immediately when accelerating. No warning tone from v-drive though. Trailered and found my prop did indeed have a bend. Replaced it and headed back out. When I accelerated the vibration was gone but boat was sluggish and after about fifteen seconds the warning light came on and I got the sound. Limped back and called it a day.

I'm thinking something to do with prop shaft maybe alignment or a bent shaft. Could be in vs rive too I guess. Anyone have thoughts?

DarksideR    1,679

Whaaaat? I'm confused. Your boat was sideways on the trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whaaaat? I'm confused. Your boat was sideways on the trailer?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's what I was thinking

chenige    84

Sounds like as he was going to put it on the trailer the boat went sideways and broadsided the trailer. Most likely the prop hit the immovable trailer. Instead of something hitting the prop from the front (normal damage) the trailer hit the prop from the side.

Shaka    146

Sounds like as he was going to put it on the trailer the boat went sideways and broadsided the trailer. Most likely the prop hit the immovable trailer. Instead of something hitting the prop from the front (normal damage) the trailer hit the prop from the side.

This is correct. I had a friend driving it on. He wasn't lined up so I had him back off. He got nervous and almost backed into the dock. When he accelerated forward and spun the wheel the back end swung around and he ended up perpendicular to the trailer and the boat ran went over the back of the trailer.

I of course stood there trying not to swear too loudly.

Edited by Shaka

duramat    462

Cut loose my friend....let the "filthy foul foul" language flow freely...give into the Darkside

Guardian mode...I'm trying to think if I ever recall a bent prop engaging it. Recommendations from those as to where to begin looking as to what could engage it?

Dinged the prop twice to the trailer when launching conditions were less than ideal. Sucks

Shaka    146

Well as you suggested I'll pull the cooling house from the transmission and look at the strainer to see if there's any crud in there after work today. I'm due for an impeller change and it's possible that I have two unrelated problems that decided to hit at the same time. It's entirely possible that my tranny is overheating or the fluid isn't flowing right.

Skibumm    184

I would think you would feel vibration from a bent prop shaft or a alignment issue. I know mine vibrated like crazy with a bent shaft.

Shaka    146

I would think you would feel vibration from a bent prop shaft or a alignment issue. I know mine vibrated like crazy with a bent shaft.

I didn't notice vibration but I wasn't able to get the boat going very fast either. I'm hoping it's just a cooling issue but like I said, I didn't notice the gauge overheating.

jiriki    13

Just curious.. how far off line was your friend? With the guide bars.. as long as the nose gets anywhere in between.. and i'm going slow.. i can get in on the trailer..

Any trailer damage?

Shaka    146

No trailer damage. He would have ended up hitting the ramp. Slight breeze and the nose was coming right at the downwind trailer guide. Had he kept coming he would have ended up on the ramp.

Shaka    146

Just got off the phone with Shane the mechanic at M&M who is also the guy behind the Maverick boat modifications.

He checked things out thoroughly and he thinks the issue comes down to my spare prop. It makes sense because it was the prop the boat came with when I bought it. I dinged it at Lake Powell a couple years ago and switched to 911's. I have no idea how many times it has been fixed before it came into my possession. Hopefully when I slap my repaired 911 back on it everything will go great!

He did find that one of my manifold gaskets is leaking exhaust. Is that a DIY or am I better off letting him perform the work?

jiriki    13

I think it is very DIY'able. I am thinking of doing it.. i hear a clicking noise on mine...

duramat    462

Tell him to fix it for free on my behalf.

I had a bad exhaust gasket fail and he was to fix it under warranty (STRBRD)

Shortly later my other one failed (port) and I ended up taking it to Fred's cause I was in a pinch for time.

I mentioned to Fred that it should be warrantied and he looked up the history of my engine and work done and showed me that Shane had charged Merc for doing both but said it was obvious that it wasn't done cause it (gasket) wasn't seated properly from the factory (hence the recall at the time).....so it ended costing me and he got paid for doing absolutely nothing. So ya...tell him to fix it for on my behalf.

I say fix it yourself with some buddies, shouldn't be to bad.

Ticking noise is a dead give away that you have a bad gasket.

Edited by duramat

DarksideR    1,679

Tell him to fix it for free on my behalf.

I had a bad exhaust gasket fail and he was to fix it under warranty (STRBRD)

Shortly later my other one failed (port) and I ended up taking it to Fred's cause I was in a pinch for time.

I mentioned to Fred that it should be warrantied and he looked up the history of my engine and work done and showed me that Shane had charged Merc for doing both but said it was obvious that it wasn't done cause it (gasket) wasn't seated properly from the factory (hence the recall at the time).....so it ended costing me and he got paid for doing absolutely nothing. So ya...tell him to fix it for on my behalf.

I say fix it yourself with some buddies, shouldn't be to bad.

Ticking noise is a dead give away that you have a bad gasket.

Wow man, that's pretty bad. Wonder how often this happens?

Shaka    146

Thanks H2OKing!

Duramat all I can say is that in this instance I believe they dealt with me honestly.

rockballer    162

Not to bad at all of a situation. heading in to drop off a friend to grab my truck. 2 weeks ago. Noticed a small little 20' bowrider trying to get on his trailer. He didn't have any guide poles and was sideways from the current on the river. Pitt river to be exact. his trailer was on the right and there were 3 trailers total on the launch. His boat went sideways and he floored it forward ending on top of the 2 other trailers beside his side ways.... LOL really wish I had taken some pictures. We decided to come back a few hours later.

DarksideR    1,679

Holy crap! That's insane! I've never seen more than two trailers on that launch at one time. Hope he didn't damage the other guys trailers!

Shaka    146

The mechanic was right. My spare prop was bad. I got my two 911's fixed and everything is hunky dory. Well until yesterday that is.

Launched and headed out. No problems except my Perfect Pass kept rebooting. I glanced down at my amp gauge and noticed that instead of reading around between twelve and thirteen it was reading just above ten. I then noticed that when I tried to use my trim tab some of my gauges would dip to zero. Things kept getting worse and worse all day with the Perfect Pass refusing to even come on and the ballast pumps filling really slow. I made it through the day but I figure I didn't have much time left before everything shut down.

Belt is fine. Looks like I'll be taking the alternator to get rebuilt.