Troy    234

Ok, I have been reading and reading and reading threads about Ballast systems.

I am working on my second version. First version was a "factory" style install with the sprinkler valves with our 1100lb fat sacs (in the lockers), vented to opposite sides, aerator pumps "y'ed" into the vent to pump out. We don't use the Port side hardly at all so not worried about the speed over there, but starboard needs to be faster.

Second version:

• Dedicated Johnson reversible pump on the Starboard side to fill and empty.
  • Keep the sprinkler valve and Having it supplement the fill of the starboard sac.
  • Have a couple of manual shutoff valves to shut off the 1100 and direct water to and from an aux fill for extra sacs

So now to my questions.

1. How important is it to vent to the opposite side?
  2. I have check valves so do I still need to vent to the opposite side?
  3. With check valves is there still a chance of siphoning water out the ballast? Does it create that much suction?
  4. Does the Johnson pump need to be stood upright or can I lay it down on its side?

As I come up with more questions I will add them to my list.

Thanks in advance for your help and thoughts.

DarksideR    1,679

1. Still important. Water will push by the check valves, that's what they're meant for... letting air and extra water out and not letting air back in.

3. It's more of a water "push" than a siphon. If you have check valves anyway.

4. No, I am 95% sure they can be mounted in any orientation.

Glad to hear someone is working on they're ballast! I told myself I was gonna change mine up this winter, just haven't had the extra coin or ambition to do it yet.

DrNate    426

I think Dark is spot on. I finally had my ballast redone this winter and I basically got rid of all of the sprinkler valves altogether. I hate those darn things. Not only are they slow but they are very faulty and a cheap part that never should be used on a ballast system.

All of my bags and tanks now fill and empty with reversible pumps with switches at the helm. I couldn't be happier! 2800#'s in 8 minutes flat!

Edited by DrNate

grandpa    11

Troy,

I have a 06 Avy pretty much like yours. We met a while back on Eagle Mountain Lake. If I remember correctly you still like to do a good deal of wakeboarding, so I am sure you will still need to pump in the port side some. Do you still have the original Jabsco feeding the sprinkler valves that leads to what used to be the port, starboard, and center tanks? If so you can buy another switch and convert that to run both in and out. I would get rid of the sprinkler valves and the aerator pumps, they are slow and a pain in my opinion. You can definitely run the Jabsco and Johnson pumps on their sides. I also agree that you should vent to the other side. If you need any help give me a shout, adding this stuff is pretty plug and play once you get past the freaky part of drilling holes.

Bigcatpt    408

Lose the sprinkler valves.... Thats all I have to say about that!

Troy    234

Thanks for all the input.

I need to keep the sprinklers valves due to the one factory pump still needs to fill the center and port side. Don't have the cash right now for 2 Johnson pumps.

I will keep the vents going to opposite sides too. Thanks.

Grandpa, I am starting on this in the next couple of weeks when I finally get all my parts in. I'll let you know if you would like to come out and give a hand. I will only have to drill one hole, in the bottom of the boat for the new pump intake.

Another question. Does it matter where or how close I am to stuff for the new thru-hull on the bottom of the boat?

Edited by Troy

Troy. R    198

With your new hole/intake just make sure it doesn't interfere with/cause turbulence for the paddle wheel. Also make sure you will have sufficient room to close the shut-off valve in the v-drive area.

My '07 had just the factory center like yours. I left that alone and added 3 Johnson to fill/drain 1100s in the lockers and a 580 under the port seat. 1 pump is dedicate to the 580. The other 2 can be used to fill/drain either 1100 at the same time or fill/drain both separately (1 pump to each 1100) using a crossover valve assembly.

Using 2 pumps on 1 1100 I can fill/drain to surf in 5 minutes flat.

Troy    234

Troy R. Can you take a picture of your intake locations? I'm not sure where it would cause interference with the paddle wheel. Thanks!

Troy. R    198

Troy,

It's not a great pic, but I think it'll work. As you can see, if you put the new inlet on the flat part of the hull ot "could" cause turbulance and potentially have an impact on the paddlewheel. Sorry, I'd don't have a pic from underneath.

vdrive.pdf

Troy    234

Picture worked out great... But my paddle wheel is where you put the new inlet. LOL Maybe I can put my new inlet where your paddle wheel is? Or as long as it isn't in the direct line of the wheel do you think it will cause interference? Maybe I can stagger the wheel and the inlet but both be on the same flat section of the hull?.?.?.

Thanks again for all the help!

Troy. R    198

You're correct, as long as the inlet isn't directly in front of the paddle wheel you're good. I would put the inlet on the angled part of the hull because I think there's more room there. Like I said before, just make sure you have have room to close your shut-off valve.

Good luck!

Troy    234

Awesome! Thank you all your input! it has been very helpful! I scored my Johnson pump last night on ebay for $174. I have most if not all the tubing I need. I am ordering my switches from Centurion this week, along with my thru hull and misc stuff from wakemakers.

• Like 1

Troy    234

Everything is ordered. the Pump arrived Monday and the other stuff should be here by Friday I hope. Try to get the ballast upgrade installed next week.

I think I seen somewhere on here that someone had a custom starboard Avalanche bag made.. Anyone have the dimensions for that? Or an idea on what a custom bag would cost?

• Like 1

Bigcatpt    408

Kriskussee had a custom Avy sac made for the starboard side. Hit him up for details.

Troy    234

Sent him a PM. Thanks Big!

Troy    234

Anyone used an oring on the thru hull to help seal? Still going to use sealer but I think this will give me an extra layer of protection.

The thru hull has a spot that looks like it will take an oring great.

post-798-0-93973700-1393475949_thumb.jpg

post-798-0-22713100-1393476022_thumb.jpg

BenHolloway    29

If your using sealer, I would suggest no O-ring. Also for pump install it can be flat, just make sure the pump head isn't above the motor.

Troy. R    198

Use sealer, no o-ring, and loc-tite.

mancho    85

This convo between Troy R. and Troy is confusing me! Lol

I do like that photo of the detailed hoses and can we get more? Like a diagram drawing?

Troy    234

Well I finally finished this project along with my PSS shaft seal install.

Recap

Installed second ballast puppy.

Second pump fills and emptys the starboard sac and has an aux port to fill and empty a sac I can put on the seat.

The factory pump can still assist filling the starboard sac.

The factory pump still fills the port sac and center tank. Port and center has their own empty pumps (factory style).

Both pumps have their own 1" thru hull.

• Like 1