riverdog    0

Love the side swipe exhaust. It works great and sounds mean. Wife thinks its too loud and I admit it gets a bit much when your cruising, Has anyone put in mufflers or silencers to calm it down?

VaBeachBum    0

I love the sound of the side swipe....for a little while. It's a great sound especially when you are coming up onto plane, very mean!!

But after a while it does get a little old. I'm not aware of any mufflers you could put on it.

Sorry, I guess I really had nothing to add. :)

Dale    0

I hate the noise from the Sideswipe exhaust!!

I would not have ordered it if the dealer had told me what to expect with the noise. In fact, I would now happily pay $1,000 (roughly the up-charge I paid to get the Sideswipe) to get rid of the Sideswipe and have the conventional exhaust.

If anyone knows how to quiet this thing, please let us Sideswipe owners know. Till then our boats will continue to sound like jet boats from the 1980's...

Love the side swipe exhaust. It works great and sounds mean. Wife thinks its too loud and I admit it gets a bit much when your cruising, Has anyone put in mufflers or silencers to calm it down?

River Dog,

The noise from the sideswipe exhaust is the reason that I sold my Avalanche. After I sold it I found out that HPI the people that offer the Malibu turndown exhaust ends are the makers/supplier of the sideswipe for Centurion have a muffler for them. I have a telephone number for them and I'll post it when I get home tonight.

Joe

Dale    0
River Dog,

The noise from the sideswipe exhaust is the reason that I sold my Avalanche. After I sold it I found out that HPI the people that offer the Malibu turndown exhaust ends are the makers/supplier of the sideswipe for Centurion have a muffler for them. I have a telephone number for them and I'll post it when I get home tonight.

Joe

Thanks. I'll look for your post with the telephone number.

I've considered selling my boat because of the noise but a muffler could change how I feel about it.

Thanks. I'll look for your post with the telephone number.

I've considered selling my boat because of the noise but a muffler could change how I feel about it.

River Dog,

I had to go home at lunch. The telephone number for HPI that is on there invoice says it's been disconnected. Also the web site doesn't work. I'm sorry about that. I wish we had a Centurion rep on this board that could help us out. Maybe you can have your dealer call the factory and get a number for whoever is supplying the sideswipe for them now. Wish I could be more help!

Joe

This is no help and maybe I am still a young punk at heart, But I seriously would order sideswipe for the noise. That means nothing though everything I buy with a motor the first thing i do is exhaust. Sorry you don't like it and I am sorry this post was no help. Hope you do enjoy your boat other than that.

Drew

riverdog    0

I have loud exhuast on my 76 f150 and love the bark of a v8 but in the boat I'm more into talking to my buds and not having to yell. I don't think my neighbors love it all that much either. I can live with the noise but mellowing it out won't hurt. Does this mean i'm getting old?

Bigshow    0

I would take FAE over Side Swipe any day of the week. However the boat that fit my budget already had Side Swipe. My boat dealer sold a boat to a customer with Side Swipe. The customer has a child with a hearing problem. Apparently the noise from Side Swipe made it difficult for the youngster to enjoy being on the boat. My dealer found a muffler system and installed it on this boat. He told me that the installation was very labor intensive and he roughly quoted me $1,400.

I’ll see how bad the noise is this season. If I can’t tolerate it I’ll look in to the muffler system. Hopefully it’s something I can install so I can cut the install cost.

riverdog    0

I would think an inline silencer in the exhuast hose should do if you can find the right size. Their cheap($150/pair). Just don't know anyone who has done it.

This could be what you are looking for

http://www.waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=42113

That was the company that I was talking about earlier. But there website and telephone number doesn't work. I bought the chrome tips that are pictured there to go on the back of my Centerion Typhoon. They look great. I just had them installed this winter and haven't tried them out yet. I was told by HPI that they would cut the exhaust noise even more.

I'm like River Dog in that I would prefer to talk to the people on the boat and listen to the music rather that having the exhaust drowning out everything.

Joe

WakeDoc    471

Is the sideswipe really that loud? We were going back and forth on whether to get it on the new boat and decided not but, were having some regrets?

Dale    0
Is the sideswipe really that loud? We were going back and forth on whether to get it on the new boat and decided not but, were having some regrets?

I bought it and would gladly pay to the $1,000 (or so) I paid for it to get rid of the "jet-boat" noise. You made the right decision. :o

solflower    0

Try closing the starboard side when you are at cruising speed... it significantly cuts down the noise because it moves the exhaust to the opposite side back of the boat from the drivers seat. Only thing ive been wondering is, if this is bad for the engine to run it full throttle with one of the exhaust pipes closed? Any thoughts?

Bigshow    0

So then everyone on the port side gets their ears blasted! No I don’t think that will go over very well.

The weather is Cr*p today so I canceled my crew and spent a few minutes looking at the SS in my boat. There's a section of 4 inch ID hose from the SS valve to the SS outlet on the side of the boat. It looks like the distance between the SS valve and SS outlet is less 12 inches. There's isn't much clearance below the outlet.

I've been searching for options online.

At over 16 inches this muffler is too long: http://store.wardmarine.com/Merchant2/merc...Category_Code=M

At over 12 inches this muffler look like it's too long also: http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=97432F

If you could saw a few inches off of the latter, on the side mating the SS valve it might fit. I haven’t considered putting in an elbow at the SS valve, inserting vertically mounted muffler, and then more elbows and hoses to get back to the outlet.

I’ve driven my new boat once. If someone has a ready solution I’m all over it.

riverdog    0

I think I may try something like this.http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=silencers-inline-insert

riverdog    0

I didn't attach that right. i'm stunned when it comes to these things.

Bigshow    0

Riverdog, now were talking! I wonder if the basket insert will work inside a 4 inch exhaust hose. Probably best just to get the SS inline silencer.

riverdog    0

I think the best way would be to remove the exhaust tip flapper end and insert in the hose. I wonder about power loss?