RhuntIII

2002 Avy Stereo upgrade

RhuntIII    555

inside the observer's compartment facing forward.

First timer    19

Figured with the upgrades maybe you'd cut out that footwell and put it there, get all the space back in the observers compartment.

RhuntIII    555

I used the Fosgate shallow sub and box so I lost 6" only. I know you guy have been bustin my chops on the speaker location but I have little kids that like to stick their fingers in everything.

I'm also thinking about cutting a 3" hole right behind the glove box to port the now inclosed sub. Not sure on this, I would like to play with the stereo a little first. I'm thinking the sound leave the port hit the windshield and the windshield will create an amphitheater effect.

This will trim the hole.

Like I say this is only a thought.

post-3359-0-63733100-1361531743_thumb.jpg

DavidEM    1

Rhuntlll,

"I'm thinking the sound leave the port hit the windshield and the windshield will create an amphitheater effect."

Very true, but short lived. You are much better off venting the sub output from lower in the boat in order to benefit from the considerable boundary loading of the sole and coaming.

Also, consider this...the port locker and adjoining gunnel cavity represents a very large and therefor very compliant air mass. With a couple of small vents there is little impetus for the bass radiation to exit the compartment. The larger the vent surace area, the less resistance, and the greater the ouput.

David

RhuntIII    555

David, What is this sole and coaming? With this port cavity of the boat being larger are you saying a bigger hole?

DavidEM    1

Rhuntlll,

The 'sole' is the subfloor and the 'coaming' is the interior return of the gunnel. These surfaces make up the cockpit bath tub so to speak. You will have much more acoustic leverage venting from the bottom of the bath tub than from the upper rim. The bigger the vent, the more output you will have and the more upper end bass transients and pitch accuracy you will have. With no vents or a couple of tiny vents you will have indiscriminant boat shaking but little to no musical bass making.

The other thing to keep in mind is that specialized flat/shallow woofers (from any manufacturer) will be a little heavier, have less excursion/travel ability, and will be less sensitive. Things you wouldn't be as inclined to notice behind the seats in a tiny pickup interior with an enclosed cabin. In an enclosed locker, the woofer will have to travel four times as far and the amplifier will have to produce four times the power, at minimum, to equal the output of the same direct-radiating woofer. The best sounding woofer will ALWAYS be the one that operates the most conservatively to produce the same output.

The asthetic challenge is that you don't want to turn your boat into swiss cheese.

Please do this before commiting to cutting holes. Listen to the sub out on the water when underway with the observers seat open, just cracked open and fully open. Form your own perspective under real world use. Then make your decisions.

David

DavidEM    1

Sorry, I meant to type "....seat closed, just cracked open and fully open."

RVR-RAT    269

I think you should throw this in there Rhuntt!!! I don't think the kids will be able to get close enough to it to touch it. Plus it's extra ballast weight.

RhuntIII    555

Thanks David, I will not drill any more holes until the real world test. In fact I'm not really excited about this idea, just a thought.

RhuntIII    555

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Mounted WS420 that I won at the crew meet today. I fabricated mounting brackets and a trim kit, it feels solid. Later this week, wire and tune.

post-3359-0-79961100-1395627224_thumb.jpg

post-3359-0-83353200-1395627241_thumb.jpg

post-3359-0-69692000-1395627258_thumb.jpg

post-3359-0-32252200-1395627292_thumb.jpg

post-3359-0-25976800-1395627441_thumb.jpg

duramat    462

Looking good rhunt !!!!!

Sweet!!!

truekaotik    458

Nice buddy!!

DrNate    426

That looks like a really nice, professional, and clean install. I wish I knew someone who could have helped me with mine! Hahaa :guitar:

Carter13    69

Good job.

PayCheck    20

thats perfect, take some sizes start selling kits :thumbsup: