mancho

The second before you faceplant on wakeboard

mancho    85

My 12 year old wants to wakeboard over surfing... and thats fine, but this photo shows those few seconds when you know you're about to faceplant, and there isn't much you can do... just keep the board from wacking you in the face or head.

I just thought this photo was crisp and said it all. LOL

post-3751-0-51793400-1342534308_thumb.jpg

tank222    2

That one probably wasn't that bad. It's the ones where you catch a edge and hold on and the boat drags your face into the water. I had my first good one this weekend, Just spinning a 180 in the flats. Caught a edge and now my neck is killing me.

dezul    10

I just started wakeboarding about a month ago. I have had a couple of good wrecks trying to get some pop over the wake. I swear my eyeball hit first on one of my jumps. I still haven't ever wakesurfed. Hopefully being 28 yrs old is not too old to start wakeboarding. It gives me my kick until snowboard season comes back around.

Wakesurfing is in my near future though.

bcollins    18

I started wearing a helmet after a buddy got a real nice concussion and couldn't remember where he was, why he was in a boat, etc. The wives pretty much demanded us and the kids start wearing them. Feels kind of unnecessary but I'll tell you what the falls just arent' nearly as bad as they used to be. No headache, no whiplash.....something to think about.

mancho    85

Yeah, we're going to get a helmet for our son. He got a good size abrasion on the back of his head when the board popped around and nailed him. He didn't have any problems but wife said no helmet, no wakeboarding.

I'm just hoping they don't start wanting a helment with wake surfing!! :( No one get hurt OK? Unless your stupid enough to ride behind an outboard, then we can scratch your name off the human list.

bcollins    18

Look at shops that sell them for kayaking, that's where I found some good deals on Protec helmets because people that kayak like super expensive ones and don't buy the protec wake helmets....I probably would to if my head was going to potentially hit a rock. Something I didn't think about but probably should have....get a brightly colored one to help with visibility when the rider is down.

DarksideR    1,679

Yeah, I had a really bad one when I first got my boat. For the record, I'm a horrible wakeboarder. I was trying to go wake to wake on my toe side and caught my heelside nose on the landing, still thinking I could muscle out of it I held the rope tight. When I was laying in the water I thought I broke my back for a second. Ended up with bruised ribs, bruised sternum, every muscle in my back sore for about two weeks and a black eye from my face hitting the water so hard. Been surfing ever since! If I do ever wakeboard again, I'll have the boat go much slower than 22MPH. I don't care how washed out the wake is! Lol

duramat    462

BC, my first season I bought a helmet cause I came home with a concussion, I was fumbling for words and couldn't keep a fluid conversation. So I bought one and used it till I found out that it only makes matters worse cause now you increased the impact surface area of the melon and which means the noggin comes to a screeching halt even quicker than before (without helmet)

For wake boarding prolly not, but if on rails, cable, then yes. JMO

duramat    462

Yeah, I had a really bad one when I first got my boat. For the record, I'm a horrible wakeboarder. I was trying to go wake to wake on my toe side and caught my heelside nose on the landing, still thinking I could muscle out of it I held the rope tight. When I was laying in the water I thought I broke my back for a second. Ended up with bruised ribs, bruised sternum, every muscle in my back sore for about two weeks and a black eye from my face hitting the water so hard. Been surfing ever since! If I do ever wakeboard again, I'll have the boat go much slower than 22MPH. I don't care how washed out the wake is! Lol

The only trick I can do wakeboarding (and I do it well) is what I call the "mousetrap". Thats where I'm minding my own business and I catch edge on my TS and then "SNAP!!!"

Haven't touched my board in years LOL

sallen    3

I have face planted so hard on a toe-side wakeboard crash that I flipped my eyelids back. Now that is a freaky feeling trying get those suckers to un-flip!

mancho    85

I just ordered the Pro Tec helmet for my son. $38 bucks will go along way for some peace of mind. That was on Amazon and it qualified for free shipping, but alas, we get to pay tax now.

Sierra Trading Post had a close out line that I didn't recognize, but I could of saved $1.98!

bcollins    18

BC, my first season I bought a helmet cause I came home with a concussion, I was fumbling for words and couldn't keep a fluid conversation. So I bought one and used it till I found out that it only makes matters worse cause now you increased the impact surface area of the melon and which means the noggin comes to a screeching halt even quicker than before (without helmet)

For wake boarding prolly not, but if on rails, cable, then yes. JMO

Yeah, I heard this argued before as well and honestly, just going from experience, it seems like a load of hooey (ha, I'm old). I think the impact absorbtion you get from the helmet far outweighs the increased surface area...plus these helmets are pretty sleek. All I know is that I never have any after impact symptoms like I used to when I wasn't wearing a helmet. I could be wrong but we haven't had any issues since we started wearing them. With that said, I would argue they probably aren't necessary like they are for snowboarding, etc. I would probably laugh if I saw someone surfing with one on.

DrNate    426

When I was much younger and in shape I began trying inverts on my wakeboard. I probably had no business trying them because my technique was flawed, but that's another story. Anyway, I was trying to impress a girl and I was in the middle of being upside-down and came out of my bindings and the board somehow hit me in the face. It broke my jaw and peeled some teeth back into the center of my mouth. Had to have 2 surgeries fo that one.

Chicks must dig scars, though, because she married me :)

duramat    462

When I was much younger and in shape I began trying inverts on my wakeboard. I probably had no business trying them because my technique was flawed, but that's another story. Anyway, I was trying to impress a girl and I was in the middle of being upside-down and came out of my bindings and the board somehow hit me in the face. It broke my jaw and peeled some teeth back into the center of my mouth. Had to have 2 surgeries fo that one.

Chicks must dig scars, though, because she married me :)

LMAO!! Well played, well played!

Hey I was gonna say, I bought the protec one that also had the earflaps to protect the ears so you don't rupture your ear drum. That could justify it for many

I hear ya BC, it may be Bs regarding all that but it kinda made sense to me. I can see the reason for smacking the board on the back of the head, my buddy took some staples cause of a cut to the skull with his board. Realistically it all comes down to what poison ya prefer LOL

bcollins    18

Realistically it all comes down to what ever your wife tells you to do

Fixed it for you there Dura

mancho    85

LOL yeah, wifes, they are always right (wink wink). I'm just thrilled what a difference makes in a boat. now the wife can't wait to wake surf and she's telling me what I'm doing right and wrong. :unworthy::laughing:

Drnate lays it down, here's how I roll, LOL. hope you can avoid more of those highlights.

I saw those pads/protectors Duramat and when you go to the Pro Tec website (it's a shame) but you click "Water helmets" and you get ONE ITEM. What does that tell you?? ALL of their helmets are waterproof, hence the sweat... so you really just need to add those ear protection. Since my 12 year old already has selective hearing, I'm passing on those, but he can just pop in some cheap ear protectors, the yellow foam ones.

Edited by mancho

bcollins    18

I have the protec ace and the inner bladder/protection is rubber and obviously waterproof. With that said, I have a hyperlite one as well with your typical foam padding and it doesn't hold water so mancho is pretty much spot on. No real reason to get an actual "wake" version. You can buy the ear pads for $9 seperately, I wear them....my kid and pretty much everyone else hates them but I remember my dad blowing out his eardrums waterskiing so I keep them on.

fastjohnny    0

I blew out an ear drum 5-6 years ago, and now sport a helmet with ear flaps. I think it's cheap insurance against a repeat incident.

duramat    462

Fixed it for you there Dura

HAHAHA! :thumbsup:

How good you gonna laugh seeing someone wear a helmet surfing? : :blushing: