Dreamer

Fuel Consumption Wakesurfing

Kevin Baugh    78

ragboy(fatboy)

I am really not interested the only thing that I would be interested in is

a test with the same prop, same ballast, same day, same water, same usage, etc

anything else is just Anecdotal evidence

duffymahoney    10

I think rpms is the biggest thing. If I go above say 3200 it really eats fuel. At 2800-2900 the boat is so happy.

superdtf    68

ragboy(fatboy)

That^^ I'm curious about that, because the claims don't quite pass the "straight face" test.

And my math may be different from others, but by the time I compute amortized monthly boat value (whether you have a loan or paid cash it's the same), storage, tow vehicle, gear, maintenance, repairs, upgrades, etc.; by the time I calculate all of that, I would seriously have to be putting more than 200 hours per year on the boat before the fuel became the primary target for cost savings. And now that I said "cost savings" in my head as I type this, I laughed really loud: This is NOT a sport for the cost-conscious consumer. Everything about it is wrong and inefficient: We tow boats around that are way bigger than they honestly need to be (so that we can have a roomy experience), then fill those boats with tons of ballast so they sink and are hard to move, then we drive them at speeds that don't get them quite up on plane, so that we can surf behind them. Totally wrong, inefficient, and awesome!

And Dreamer, I suppose all along it wasn't the math giving me heartburn, it's the focus on the incremental costs (in light of the other, larger costs). But putting 400 hours per year on your boat makes that a HUGE incremental cost.

DaveO    0

I was actually impressed with the amount of fuel I used during the initial 5 hour break in period on my boat. I know it used less gas than my old boat(direct drive) and this boat Has about 80 hp more. Also a buddy of mine has a new RZ 2 with the same motor(PCM ex343) and he thinks it burns less fuel than his previous tige with a vortec 340hp. Maybe I'll see if he wants compare hours of use and how much fuel burned as a kind of guide to see if there is a difference

ragboy(fatboy)

That has been done, a few times. The Polar Bear event, for instance. There have been several other times where I spent the day with another boat, enzo, surfing like we did with the Supreme V226 recently. As a matter of fact, a brand new 2012 240 is coming up to surf with us this monday. The wrapped mendonesia boat from Lake Mendocino, at least that is the plan.

Edit: Oh, and the events we are involved in. Towing an event and knowing the gas used, and then being involved with similar events with different boats. All of the above is a bit more than anecdotal.

That^^ I'm curious about that, because the claims don't quite pass the "straight face" test.

And my math may be different from others, but by the time I compute amortized monthly boat value (whether you have a loan or paid cash it's the same), storage, tow vehicle, gear, maintenance, repairs, upgrades, etc.; by the time I calculate all of that, I would seriously have to be putting more than 200 hours per year on the boat before the fuel became the primary target for cost savings. And now that I said "cost savings" in my head as I type this, I laughed really loud: This is NOT a sport for the cost-conscious consumer. Everything about it is wrong and inefficient: We tow boats around that are way bigger than they honestly need to be (so that we can have a roomy experience), then fill those boats with tons of ballast so they sink and are hard to move, then we drive them at speeds that don't get them quite up on plane, so that we can surf behind them. Totally wrong, inefficient, and awesome!

And Dreamer, I suppose all along it wasn't the math giving me heartburn, it's the focus on the incremental costs (in light of the other, larger costs). But putting 400 hours per year on your boat makes that a HUGE incremental cost.

I do normally put on 200 hours per season, and this year, maybe 300 hours. I got the boat in late april and am at about 120 hours now and will be going strong through October.

That said, you know how to reach me if you have a question, I will leave you to it. I understand this is your domain, I am good.

Edited by ragboy(fatboy)

Kevin Baugh    78

Anecdotal evidence is an informal account of evidence in the form of an anecdote. The term is often used in contrast to scientific evidence, as evidence that cannot be investigated using the scientific method. The problem with arguing based on anecdotal evidence is that anecdotal evidence is not necessarily typical; only statistical evidence can determine how typical something is. Misuse of anecdotal evidence is a logical fallacy.

DarksideR    1,679

I'm gonna mount a mast and sail my surf machine. Scientific evidence has proven that wind powered boats use significantly less fuel than motorized boats.

:p

DrPringle    10

id like something a little better than my 96 direct drive

superdtf    68

id like something a little better than my 96 direct drive

Then you should buy Dreamer's Enzo, because I'm pretty sure by next year, Tige will have the RZ4 running on that experimental perpetual motion engine. That'll be irresistible. :rant:

Edited by superdtf

775surfer    0

I'm gonna mount a mast and sail my surf machine. Scientific evidence has proven that wind powered boats use significantly less fuel than motorized boats.

:p

If we can get enough people for a crew deal, count me in! :thumbsup:

joejerrick    0

2010 Enzo 230. 5.7 with 80 hours. 2250 lbs with peeps and ballast. Stock prop and we still average 4 gallons per hour. Not bad considering I just traded a 2001 X-Star that used at least 5 gallons per hour and had no where near the wave this water tractor does. Really impressed with boat so far and have an Enzo sack on a fed ex truck on the way to my house right now... :)

What prop is the best for surfing. The stock one is pitched too high for all the weight we have sometimes and the boat is at full throttle. I don't like that...

Dreamer    96

It seems that the newer engines are much more efficient that the slightly older ones. Must be the catalytic converters and updated ecu's.

Or maybe the OJ 5 blade and engine running at 3000 rpm's is less efficient than a 1579 and the engine running at 3400 rpm.

Kevin Baugh    78

Must be the catalytic converters and updated ecu's.

No doubt about it X2

Audionly101    39

The cats will not make newer engines any better on gas. Cats are there only to clean up exhaust emissions. The big improvements were made in the way they monitor the fuel trim like o2 sensors, knock sensors, load calculation sensors such as the mass air or manifold pressures sensors, better injection of fuel and being able to adjust spark timing for the best emissions and gph based on those other improvements. Small things like running accessories slightly slower or many other small changes have been made causing great steps forward in better gph.

I personally am still waiting for a diesel in a wakeboard / surf specific boat. I don’t know why the wake boat companies have not jumped on this yet. The gph and torque would be amazing!

Kevin Baugh    78

True enough but the way I understand it the new cat exhaust manifolds made it possible for the oxygen sensor

that make the rest possible