Tswicegood

Boat Leaking today while on the lake. Look at picture, What is this?

boatman    0

I greased mine just as a maintenance, it seemed to actually start leaking after that

superdtf    68

It's supposed to be regular, like every 25 hours or something similar. Mine leaked from day 1, so I don't recall.

We experienced this very same thing. New boat and started leaking with very few hours on it. Had to take it in and have a seal replaced. Hasn't leaked since.

They usually drip a little, but it shouldn't act like an obvious leak. Should be an easy fix for the dealer.

superdtf    68

We experienced this very same thing. New boat and started leaking with very few hours on it. Had to take it in and have a seal replaced. Hasn't leaked since.

They usually drip a little, but it shouldn't act like an obvious leak. Should be an easy fix for the dealer.

I disagree. The dealer will attempt to "fix" this by replacing the seal with another improperly designed and engineered seal, which will have a 50% chance of actually "sealing" anything. PSS Shaft Seal is the only proven solution for the modern boats (not the older models with flax packing glands).

Tswicegood    0

I plan on getting the PSS shaft seal. I think it’s a darn shame a $50,000 boat leaks!

superdtf    68

I plan on getting the PSS shaft seal. I think it’s a darn shame a $50,000 boat leaks!

I could not agree more. I don't know if Fineline switched to a shaft seal that actually works yet. I'll find out now that I'm curious.

harlobra    24

Could you pack it somehow with Silicone instead of grease? That may sound really naive but the whole thing is making me cringe cause it sounds like a pain in the a$$

boardjnky4    8

Could you pack it somehow with Silicone instead of grease? That may sound really naive but the whole thing is making me cringe cause it sounds like a pain in the a$$

You need to pack it with a lubricant, not a sealant.

superdtf    68

You need to pack it with a lubricant, not a sealant.

Agreed, that could go wrong in multiple ways.

Tswicegood    0

Called Centurion Today they are using OJ Prop dripless shaft seals. They put this seal through serious testing with over 100 hours without the water feed hose even hooked up to it. I ordered one today for my boat $180.

http://www.ojprops.com/

I disagree. The dealer will attempt to "fix" this by replacing the seal with another improperly designed and engineered seal, which will have a 50% chance of actually "sealing" anything. PSS Shaft Seal is the only proven solution for the modern boats (not the older models with flax packing glands).

Disagree all you want. Had ours fixed in 2009 and hasn't leaked since.

h20king    794

Called Centurion Today they are using OJ Prop dripless shaft seals. They put this seal through serious testing with over 100 hours without the water feed hose even hooked up to it. I ordered one today for my boat $180.

http://www.ojprops.com/

OJ is a decent unit but still uses rubber lip seals to keep the water out.The PSS system has been on the market for a much longer time and is tried and true. I have seen the OJ units fail as well thats why I always recommend the PSS system.It is the only unit I feel confident recommending to others..............................H

h20king    794

Disagree all you want. Had ours fixed in 2009 and hasn't leaked since.

Thats because you are still on borrowed time.........................H

enzo101mo    98

know Malibu runs that PCM motor in there boats I wonder what seal they use. I am glad I have a mercruiser black scorpion in my boat I don't have any water in my boat. I heard that they went with thte PCM because of the Pro Vision on screen gauges.

superdtf    68

know Malibu runs that PCM motor in there boats I wonder what seal they use. I am glad I have a mercruiser black scorpion in my boat I don't have any water in my boat. I heard that they went with thte PCM because of the Pro Vision on screen gauges.

The shaft seal is not typically married to the power package. Malibu has been using the the OJ Props "dripless" seal that Fineline (Centurion) recently switched to. A quick perusal of the Malibu owners' forums reveals that the OJ seal is only marginally more reliable than the one historically used by Centurion, which seams to have an early failure rate of at least 50%. Interesting that neither manufacturer chose to use the PSS seal which is reknowned as leak proof, and idiot proof.

h20king    794

The shaft seal is not typically married to the power package. Malibu has been using the the OJ Props "dripless" seal that Fineline (Centurion) recently switched to. A quick perusal of the Malibu owners' forums reveals that the OJ seal is only marginally more reliable than the one historically used by Centurion, which seams to have an early failure rate of at least 50%. Interesting that neither manufacturer chose to use the PSS seal which is reknowned as leak proof, and idiot proof.

Exactly the OJ and the marine hardware unit are close to the same design just in different packages. Nautique has been using the PSS system for years.I have put one in every inboard boat I have owned over the course of the last twelve years and have never had a problem or had to make an adjustment during that time period............................................H

enzo101mo    98

My Brother had just info. me that Centurion sent a memo out to the dealers about the seal and to replace any bad seals with the PSS seal. They are no longer going to use OJ seal and the prevoiuse seals. They just told his dealer to install the PSS on his boat with no charge. :thumbsup:

superdtf    68

Booyah!

DarksideR    1,679

Sweet!

Packrat    13

Thanks to h20king and Gonyeas Marine I too have the PSS shaft seal. Works like a charm. It's right up there with FAE, wetsounds 420, and bennett tab as must haves at least in my opinion.