Bigcatpt

Boat won't start......

Bigcatpt    408

So we finished up installing Surfmoochers ballast system the other day. He pulled it out of the garage this weekend to fire it up and change the oil and do a few other projects. When he turns the key to start it....he gets nothing! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: We know the boat ran when it got winterized in the fall. So other than 6 months passing the only change has been the new ballast install.... :wallbash:

Here are a few of the things we have checked....

1. The battery is connected and we are getting power. All the gauges light up when the key is turned to the first position. All switches work, Stereo works, ballast pumps work. We have not checked voltage at the battery...did not have a tester. But did hook up booster cables to give the battery a boost and still nothing......

2. The little red push button fuse near the battery. We have pushed the bottom and reset it. We have pushed back in the little lever on the side. I know it is working because when it is tripped nothing electrical works on the boat.

3. I have reset the 50 amp breaker button on the engine. Seems to be ok there.

4. We have checked all the fuses in the fuse block. All are good

5. We checked the emergency pull shut off switch. Wires are plugged into the rear of it and it appears to be working correctly. It beeps when you unplug it.

6. Looked under the dash and checked for any loose wires. We did a lot of work under there for the ballast wiring. But can not find any loose wires or anything that looks not right. All the wires are still connected into the rear of the key ignition.

So after checking all these things... still nothing!!!

Ok guys help me out here. What else can I check or test???

Need to get this boat on the water to check out the ballast install and do some surfing!!! :surfing2:

Edited by Bigcatpt

Kevin Baugh    78

I have heard of the breaker on the engine going bad

put a meter on it and check for 12 V on both sides

Bigcatpt    408

I have heard of the breaker on the engine going bad

put a meter on it and check for 12 V on both sides

Kevin I am not real good with electrical. I have a tester. But could you explain a little more how to test both sides? Please.

islander033    2

Make sure the shifter is in neutral and pushed forwards to the stop point. (mine sometimes won't crank until I do this)

There is a fuse block by the starter that may have blown, give it a check as well. (SEE ITEM G)

Fuse.jpg

Edited by islander033

Bigcatpt    408

Make sure the shifter is in neutral and pushed forwards to the stop point. (mine sometimes won't crank until I do this)

There is a fuse block by the starter that may have blown, give it a check as well.

Good call on the shifter! I will check that!

Now on this fuse block by the starter. Is it a red button like the 50 amp breaker? Or different? Is it a fuse like the ones in the fuse block under the dash? What should I be looking for? On the rear of the engine???

Edited by Bigcatpt

islander033    2

Good call on the shifter! I will check that!

Now on this fuse block by the starter. Is it a red button like the 50 amp breaker? Or different? Is it a fuse like the ones in the fuse block under the dash? What should I be looking for? On the rear of the engine???

See my modified post above for the fuse location.

Kevin Baugh    78

The breaker on the engine will have a wire going in and one coming out put your meter on voltage and the black lead on an engine ground the red wire on both sides of the breaker you should get 12 Volts or so on both sides of the breaker if it is working

Bigcatpt    408

Checked the shift lever. Everything seemed fine there. No change with wiggling it around and pushing it forward or putting it into neutral but with some throttle.

Wes had a quick look for the 90 amp breaker by the starter but could not see it. He will look closer tomorrow in the daylight.

Do you know if it is a resetable fuse or one that will need to be replaced???

We will also check the voltage in and out of the 50 amp breaker button tomorrow...

Anyone have any other suggestions??? Thanks!

islander033    2

Do you know if it is a resetable fuse or one that will need to be replaced??? ...

It would have to be replaced if it got popped.

h20king    794

check to make sure the wire to the neutral safety switch is connected as I'm sure you did lots of wiring back there as well.Also try circumventing the safety lanyard kill switch by ruining a jumper lead between the two posts..................H

Bigcatpt    408

It would have to be replaced if it got popped.

I just gotta say WOW! on your avatar picture. Talk about popping a fuse!

Bigcatpt    408

check to make sure the wire to the neutral safety switch is connected as I'm sure you did lots of wiring back there as well.Also try circumventing the safety lanyard kill switch by ruining a jumper lead between the two posts..................H

H- I was going to try circumventing the safety kill lanyard tonight.

Where is the neutral safety switch? I did do lots of wiring under the dash and behind the switch panel. I should probably check it but not sure where to look.

Does anyone have a picture of the fuse on the starter. Can't seem to locate it but not exactly sure what I am looking for.

Thanks everybody for your help so far! Keep em coming!

h20king    794

The neutral safety switch is located on the borgwarner transmission check to make sure both leads are still connected if so it can be tested by joining the two wires together if the boat starts the neutral safety is bad and needs replaced.Do not use the boat with the neutral safety switch circumnavigated because it will allow the boat to start in gear........................H

Edited by h20king

islander033    2

... Does anyone have a picture of the fuse on the starter. Can't seem to locate it but not exactly sure what I am looking for....

It is right on the starter as per the illustration above. (right where the wires attach)

Test for power on either side of the fuse.

See thread below for when I changed mine out on the Elite V.

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/173-wrench-welding/page__p__1344__hl__wrench__fromsearch__1#entry1344

surf moocher    127

I saw the 90 Amp Fuse last night on the starter but I didn't have a meter to test it. I'll check on it today.

Regarding the safety kill lanyard, I played around with it and it appeared to work fine, checked the connections on the back and they all looked solid.

Thanks for the assistance and input.

Wes

Foiler    1

I saw the 90 Amp Fuse last night on the starter but I didn't have a meter to test it. I'll check on it today.

Regarding the safety kill lanyard, I played around with it and it appeared to work fine, checked the connections on the back and they all looked solid.

Thanks for the assistance and input.

Wes

If it is like my 2007 Centurion Typhoon then it is not the lanyard because my boat will crank but not fire when the lanyard is disconnected. When my boat won't crank I have to wiggle the shifter. Glad to hear were the switch is located because I have been meaning to look for it and try and adjust it. Mine is way to touchy.

boatdr    1

if your gauges power up all your fuses and breakers would be good. It will have to be the ign switch,the neutral safety, booster solenoid or starter. Do you hear a light click when you try to start?If you do it will be the booster solenoid or starter.

Packrat    13

Be sure the linkage to from the throttle at the engine is attached. (Sorry if you already have done this) It has a spring loaded end so even if the throttle looks like it is in neutral at the throttle it really isn't back at the engine where the throttle attaches to the engine. Mine was popped off and that was the problem. And no, those are not my fingers in the pictures! I just took the pictures....my wife held the screwdriver. My boat wouldn't start the night we were to leave on my 2week boating trip.

post-323-0-19227300-1303766512_thumb.jpg

post-323-0-38507100-1303766538_thumb.jpgpost-323-0-31985100-1303766548_thumb.jpg

islander033    2

if your gauges power up all your fuses and breakers would be good. It will have to be the ign switch,the neutral safety, booster solenoid or starter. Do you hear a light click when you try to start?If you do it will be the booster solenoid or starter.

I agree now that I re-read what I posted in that 90amp fuse thread.

Jackfly    0

I know you said you wiggled the throttle, but did you wiggle it while holding the key in start? It is not the kill switch if it won't crank. If it's not the neutral switch, I'd check everywhere you added wiring. If you really get stuck, my neighbor has an auto shop around the corner from you. He would probably help you test fuses, ect. gratis. He owes me for some electrical I did in his bsmnt. Give me a holla if you need to.