1fasdzl

Good first SURF style board

1fasdzl    0

So I am itching to do anything boat related. Buying a surf style board sounds good!

Seriously though, we only have skim style boards so I think we should have a surf style as well. Since we are all beginners, we need to get a good feel for both.

I've found a few boards locally that are under $225. Let me know your thoughts...

1. CWB with 4 fins (blue color board). Not sure model...$140 asking

2. Liquid Force 4'10" single fin. $225 asking

3. Hyperlite (gray and green color). Again, not sure what model...$150 asking

4. None of the above. You fill in the blank

Crew is 5'0- 5'8", 120- 170lbs. Suggestions?

:surfing2:

1fasdzl    0

Also found a Triple X 54" composite new for $250 on eBay...

poosie    7

1f we started out with the hyperlite broadcast which has been a great board for all beginners any weight size. Its easy to start, not to fast and very durable. i moved on to a grindwater shaka which was much harder to control and very easy to ding/dent. not for beginners. I have since sold that board and should have my new inland surfer squirt tomorrow.

DarksideR    1,679

Inland Surfer Squirt, hands down. Great fast board at a great price. Pearls a little too easily IMO, but if you have the basic skills, IE: wakeboard, snowboard, sk8board, you should have no problems.

desotodave    0

Inland Surfer Squirt, hands down. Great fast board at a great price. Pearls a little too easily IMO, but if you have the basic skills, IE: wakeboard, snowboard, sk8board, you should have no problems.

Rode a Shred Stixx Ja Mako and Thresher last week, and enjoyed them both. The Ja mako is better for newer riders, and larger riders. The Thresher is a very quick and agile board. I liked these more than all of the boards above, and I am not a Shred Stixx guy. They are more money, but they are decent boards. Oops, sorry I have not riden the IS Squirt.

DarksideR    1,679

I plan on getting a Stixx board before this summer for myself. I haven't ridden them, nor have I seen one in person. I hear they are kinda fragile. The squirt is a compression molded board that will take a beating, and probably last longer. It's probably the best comp.molded board out. The ShredStixx is a high end glassed board. Really depends on how much$ you wanna spend, and how serious you're gonna be about surfing. I'd start with the best, $cheap$, durable, board you can get, and when you start thinking you want something more advanced, you keep your old board as the "boat" board that everyone can use and abuse! :Rockon:

desotodave    0

I plan on getting a Stixx board before this summer for myself. I haven't ridden them, nor have I seen one in person. I hear they are kinda fragile. The squirt is a compression molded board that will take a beating, and probably last longer. It's probably the best comp.molded board out. The ShredStixx is a high end glassed board. Really depends on how much$ you wanna spend, and how serious you're gonna be about surfing. I'd start with the best, $cheap$, durable, board you can get, and when you start thinking you want something more advanced, you keep your old board as the "boat" board that everyone can use and abuse! :Rockon:

They actually seemed pretty stout to me. But I am comparing that to my Carbon Drew!!!!

I have a IS squirt and love it. But I think it as kind of a crossover board. Somewhere between a skim board and surf style board....probably more toward the skim style. Best bang for the buck as far as new entry level boards go. But if you're looking for a true surf style board then I would suggest keeping your eyes open for a used IS Blue Lake. If you wait for the right deal you can sometimes find an older one for 250-300 bucks. I also have a CWB Ride and never have liked it....but others haven't minded it. I'm planning on posting it for sale very soon. PM me if interested. I'll let it go for the same price range you have been looking in.

1fasdzl    0

Thanks for the replies guys. Can you comment on any of the boards that I've listed?

I'm not looking to drop a lot of coin, as I'm a cheap a$$. Until I'm good enough to appreciate the difference, $250 and below is my price range.

Joe B    17

THe Liquid Force and Triple 'X' you listed are skim boards. Move along.

Look for a board with more than one fin, and over 5' long.

I liked the CWB Ride more than a Broadcast, but it's like comparing Chevy vs Ford trucks, both durable and not intended for a race track think utility. Borrow a IS Blue Lake sometime and you'll kick yourself for dropping $150 here and there on wakeboard company boards that suck.

DarksideR    1,679

THe Liquid Force and Triple 'X' you listed are skim boards. Move along.

Look for a board with more than one fin, and over 5' long.

I liked the CWB Ride more than a Broadcast, but it's like comparing Chevy vs Ford trucks, both durable and not intended for a race track think utility. Borrow a IS Blue Lake sometime and you'll kick yourself for dropping $150 here and there on wakeboard company boards that suck.

^^^X2

And now that I think about it, Knuckle is right. The Squirt is kind of a crossover. Still a great board in my opinion though.

If you choose to go with a Blulake, PM me. I've been toying with the idea of selling mine. But I would want $400.

Bigcatpt    408

Grindwater Slaysh any good?

I am not too sure about the slaysh. But the grindwater ginsu is one of our favorites. Very fast and agile board. It can be a little fragile though and needs to be taken care of. If the slaysh is anything like the ginsu you will love it.

poosie    7

Just received the new yellow IS squirt yesturday. Its a sweet looking board and seems pretty durable. I had a shaka and I think all the grindwater boards are the same in that they are glass coated and very easy to dent. I used mine probably 4-5 times and had to repair the edges. Also was very fast compared to the broadcast. in the end i wanted something that could take a bit more of a beating as there is always a crowd on the boat and plenty of 1st timers. The squirt will fit the bill.

Bigcatpt    408

Just received the new yellow IS squirt yesturday. Its a sweet looking board and seems pretty durable. I had a shaka and I think all the grindwater boards are the same in that they are glass coated and very easy to dent. I used mine probably 4-5 times and had to repair the edges. Also was very fast compared to the broadcast. in the end i wanted something that could take a bit more of a beating as there is always a crowd on the boat and plenty of 1st timers. The squirt will fit the bill.

We have taken very good care of surfmoochers Ginsu. It does not have any dings or pressure dents in it. You can see a few cracks under the surface but nothing you can feel. It all appears to be cosmetic at this point and does not affect the performance.

I would like to try my wife and kids on the squirt this year.

rizza32    0

1fas dont think just buy this one. The swallow is a good board for everyone on the boat. I have one and everyone learning loves it. Its similar to the blue lake but more aggressive. Its slightly shorter and narrower around the nose. You can also progress with this board. Tracks real well for beginners so you may want to go with some smaller fins in the future so its easier to break loose. I think its over $600 new.

swallow

Edited by rizza32

Wiggles    2

That is a crazy deal for a IS swallow, if i didn't just buy all my stereo gear I'd be all over it for that price.

WakeDoc    471

That is the board you need if you can get it at the right price, Inland Surfer wise you might also want to look at the Sweet Spot and new Mucus Dual-Fin, I have not ridden one yet but, it looks to be a good entry level/intermediate board. They are 59 inches long, 20.75 inches wide, 1.5 inces thick and weigh in at 8 pounds. Inland Surfers weight range recommendation for the board is 100lbs. to 250+lbs. depending on wake size.

mucus-full.jpg

1fasdzl    0

Okay, so it looks like I'm the high bidder on the swallow. We'll see, as there is 10 hours left. I really want to keep the price under $300 but if it's that good, maybe I'll pony up a little more.

Doc- what is that board pictured?

1fasdzl    0

Rizza-

Thanks for the info and the link.