KC's crew

So, which surf rope?

KC's crew    0

Since I'm new to the sport I have a lot of questions. I've seen a lot of pics with a lot of different ropes being used. Some with handles and some without. It's time to buy those stocking stuffers so which rope is the best? Handle or no handle? What length and where to buy? I know they are only used to get going but I want to get the right gear.

I'm 6'3" and 235 so I'm leaning toward the Blue Lake or Liquid Force Venture. I figure that will be a good starter board. Any suggestions?

either a T handle or a small wakeboard-like handle.

if you can find somewhere around 24 feet then you'd be set, as you can put it on the tower and have enough play to get to the back of the wake.

i have a 14-16 foot T handle. the rope is too short so we had to add some length to get it to the tower.

im not sure of any brands, but something tells me that liquid force sells them.

hope it helps.

h20king    794

for lines accurate makes a nice one http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?...=835&ref=35

so does straitline I prefer the rope with the handle compared to the T handle or knot.I own both the boards you listed and weigh 205 they will both float you but you will quickly outgrow the liquid force as it is slow and sluggish but you will grow with the blue lake it is easy to learn on and will allow you to progress and is a lot of fun to ride so in the long run it will be cheaper to spend the extra cash now since you wont need another board for a while just remember once you start it is hard to stop I started surfing last year and have already bought three new boards with another on the way JMTC .......................H

post-777-1291728993_thumb.jpgpost-777-1291729026_thumb.jpgpost-777-1291729036_thumb.jpg :thumbsup::surfing2:

Joe B    17

check moomba.com and go to forumns classifieds. Ed was selling an old Blue Lake for something stupid like <$200 last week. Not sure if it's gone (check the surfing posts from the past week too over there). http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?t=12737

t-bar or handle. Just the rope is hard for everyone after a few pulls. Kids really like some type of handle. We got the 14ft and it's fine but very close to the boat for beginners and not really street legal if you are in a PoPo state trying to ban surfing (they want you 20ft away from the boat for CO2 reasons).

You get what you pay for on boards. Buy a non-wakeboard company board and you won't be 'shopping' again 2 weeks after you start. A Blue Lake is a Great choice.

Edited by Joe B

WakeDoc    471

You DO NOT want to use a wakeboard handle, our favorite is a wakeboard/ski style handle scaleddown like the link H2O posted.

duramat    462

Take the Bluelake and Run!! Terrific board, you will only go up from there.

As for ropes, I myself prefer just the knotted rope. I prefer it for because there is absolutely no possible way that you can get a hand, wrist, leg, foot, arm to get in the handle. (unless you coil the rope in your hand, which is a no no on my boat). Ive got a proline rope on my boat and its fine on my boat and tower, it puts me just right into the sweetspot. If I try on an Avy, its too short for my liking. get the 20' and just remember not to run it over :thumbsup:

The T-handle is an excellent choice as well

islander033    2
...our favorite is a wakeboard/ski style handle scaleddown like the link H2O posted.

X2

I've been using a 20ft Ronix wakesurf rope for the last couple of years with zero complaints.

I had the rope with knots but a few people broke or bent their fingers (myself included) using it so I bought one with a handle and it is great. I know have both the rope w/knots and handle for surfing which people can choose.

DarksideR    1,679

We have the knotted T handle rope. Really like it, but think that a small handle would be good for learning with. You can keep holding the rope more easily on a handle for practicing tricks. I've found that I liked having a slightly longer rope that lets you fall back just outside your surfable wave to get the hang of pumping or whatever you do to stay in the wave. I try to get all newbies on my boat to practice this so that there is more actual surfing time than turning around and picking up time!

As far as the board goes, the blulake is probably the best choice out there for ya! I like mine but Im a bit of a lightweight for it. 180lbs. Having lots of push helps.

islander033    2
... I've found that I liked having a slightly longer rope that lets you fall back just outside your surfable wave to get the hang of pumping or whatever you do to stay in the wave.....

I need a longer rope... ;)

PS. I find newbs like to choke up on the rope even though they have 10ft of surfable wave behind them :)

DarksideR    1,679

Yeah, the longer rope does become a bit of a chore sometimes when it's coiled up in your hand. Especially the knotted ones.

h20king    794
I need a longer rope.

so did I so I used a five foot take off section from a ski rope to extend mine to 25'

islander033    2
so did I so I used a five foot take off section from a ski rope to extend mine to 25'

Good idea, I do have some take offs kicking around.

KC's crew    0

Great, Thanks for the info. I've seen several older Blue Lakes for sale but all were only 2 fins. I'll wait till I find a quad. A rope with a small handle makes sense. I'll put one on my Christmas list for Mama Santa.

How about the vest's. Any favorites?

duramat    462

KC, I have a quad, and in all reality I only use the two fins. I say put two "Bigboy Fins" on it and call it good. I have put 4 fins on before but it was to straight and stable LOL, I couldnt carve on it. If you can get a killer price on a two-fin bluelake I think your golden :)

Troy. R    198

I use the Accurate rope that H2O King suggested. I'm a bigger guy too (6'2 215) and have others in my crew even bigger so i ordered a CWB Ride. on EVO.com they are selling the Ride for $299 with a free rope and free shipping. I haven't used it yet, but i went with the Ride because it's rated for riders up to 250 lbs.

http://www.evo.com/wake-surfboards/cwb-rid...108.Image.1.jpg

Troy. R    198

Oh, and by the way I’m just getting into surfing and I’m not nearly as serious about it as a lot of the guys. So I decided on the Ride because it seems like a good all-purpose/anyone can use kind of board. It’s probably not the best board if you’re interested in getting into doing a lot of tricks and stuff.

Just wanted to add that perspective :)

KC's crew    0

Troy,

Thanks for the suggestion, I like the free rope offer.

smitty1258    0
Great, Thanks for the info. I've seen several older Blue Lakes for sale but all were only 2 fins. I'll wait till I find a quad. A rope with a small handle makes sense. I'll put one on my Christmas list for Mama Santa.

How about the vest's. Any favorites?

life jackets

http://www.stearnsflotation.com/SALE-amp-CLEARANCE-C32.aspx

Edited by smitty1258

BigWillOKC    1

Am I the only one who ties on to the tow pylon instead of the tower? I've never even tries the tower maybe I should?