pdhj1990

New to the Forum - Need Advice on Boat Purchase

pdhj1990    2

I'm looking at a blue 2003 Centurion Hurricane, Tow Sports 350Mag MPI with 71 fresh water hours. The boat is in like new condition.

The boat has wakeboard racks, center ballast, CD/stereo w/ 4 speakers, Snap out carpet. Custom tandem axle trailer w/ surge brakes.

The boat is being offered for $24,950. I'll also have about $1,000 in shipping costs. My budget for a wakeboard boat is $25,000.

My family will use the boat to take family and friends wakeboarding and water skiing. I haven't been involved with boating for the past 20 years. However, this seems like a great sport/recreation for my children.

I'd appreciate any advice regarding the boats price. I'd also appreciate any advice on the model and if there are other boats I should consider.

Paul

enzo on LI    79

Are there any pics that you can post for us? Always consider the Avalanche, and from everything I have heard and read the Falcon is a great choice as well. Hopefully someone who knows more about the hurricane will post soon.

bomoseen avy    45

nice boat! looks clean. I'm partial to the color scheme as it is much like my '03 avalanche.

Price looks OK. Not a lot of options on the hurricane and you may want to check the classifieds on this site for comparison with other boats.

I too got back into this after a 20 odd year hiatus. I have 3 boys aged 8-13. I assumed wakeboarding, tubing, water skiing would be the primary uses for the boat. My avy had 45 hrs on it when I got it 2 seasons ago (630 now!!) 29K but I had a couple options- hot/cold transom shower, heater, 3 ballast tanks (2 hard/one soft through walk through), docking lights. Things I know different 2 years later:

you will want perfect pass. google it. you can add it later

I didn't know surfing was even going on behind these things and that will probably be the majority of what we use it for next year

slalom skiing takes a distinctly different hull shape than surfing

other quality options include power wakeplate, surf ballast setup, upgraded sound system with sub/amps/tower speakers, extendable tubes on heater

Options may obviously affect the price but also show the value of the boat. Also look on onlyinboards.com for similar boats in your price range. Have fun and good luck :thumbsup:

elc    2

I had an 05 elite v (I believe its the same hull) that I sold in January for a little bit more then what they are asking. My boat had a lot more hours. IMO its fairly priced, you may be able to get them to throw in tower speakers, perfect pass or a hydrolic trim tab as part of the deal - you will eventually want all of these add-ons.

The elite was our first inboard and I really enjoyed it. Its a good all around family boat. You will not get a huge clean wake board wake out of it but its great for a beginner to intermediate riders.

I did not have any problems with the boat except trying to clean up the wake board wake as we added weight. Mechanically the boat was perfect and I thought it was well constructed.

LakeSurfer    10

I dont know where you are at, but Olinger Marine in ID generally has some very clean used Centurions. Here are I would take a look at in your price range:

1. 04 Avy C4 $26K: http://www.olingermarine.com/new_vehicle_d...amp;pov=1872652

2. 04 Avy C4 $28K (with more options like PP): http://www.olingermarine.com/new_vehicle_d...amp;pov=1849200

3. 05 Elite V $26K: http://www.olingermarine.com/new_vehicle_d...amp;pov=1817894

I bought my '06 Avy from Semper and had it shipped up to Canada. They are good to deal with and will organize the shipping for you.

IMO, you can find newer for the same price. Before shipping, I was under $29K for an '06 with 80 hrs.

bomoseen avy    45

now you're talkin! :thumbsup: #2 is sweet even though it's a tad bit over your budget let me talk to your wife I can rationalize anything...

duffymahoney    10

Might sell my avy in the spring:) The boat is surf ready with tons of options:)

duffymahoney    10

Gosh I haven't even thought about it. It depends on my financial situation this spring. I am only like 50 miles from Canada and I wouldn't mind selling it to someone from frigid north.

pbird44    0

too bad i'm a little south of you here in boise. still looking at the 03 hurricane, took it for a test and liked the surf wave!

pdhj1990    2

I certainly appreciate the advice. I also appreciate the links to the Olinger Marine.

After much consideration, I decided to purchase a 2004 Centurion Avalanche. The Centurion Hurricane is only 20 feet long, while the Avalanche is 22. The owner of Olinger was most helpful and cut me a fair deal.

This is the boat that I plan to purchase:

http://www.olingermarine.com/new_vehicle_d...amp;pov=1872652

When I owned a classic Vette, I learned more from the forum members at Corvette Forum. Now that I'm buying a Centurion, I can see that this Forum will be equally helpful.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Paul

duffymahoney    10

That's basically my exact same boat! You will love her:)

duffymahoney    10

Does it come with the snap in carpet? If not ebay has stock carpet for that exact boat.

Kevin Baugh    78

Glad to hear it! Just an FYI The Avalanche is 22' but the Hurricane is not 20' it is 21' 6"

Carter13    69

Congrats on the purchase. You will love the AVY C4. :thumbsup:

That looks like a Rankin cover which is really nice as well.

pdhj1990    2

Duffy,

Have you heard about Olinger Marine? There in Rathdrum which I believe is an hour south of Sandpoint.

Also, what would you consider is a fair price for the 2004 Avalanche? Here's another link to the boat:

http://www.olingermarine.com/new_vehicle_d...amp;pov=1872652

I still have a lot to learn about this sport. The last thing I want is too be upside down on my first boat at day of purchase.

Thanks.

Paul

pdhj1990    2

I forgot to note that the boat does include snap in carpet. It also includes a swim platform. Niether of these items were included in the pics from the dealers website. Also, the boat cover is included as well as a matching bimini.

Thanks again.

Paul

duffymahoney    10

I think it's more then a fair price. I don't think I would sell mine under like 29k. It looks in great shape. I might be able to go look at it next week if you want. It's about a 35 minute drive for me.