MN_Surfer

Give feedback and opinion on the board you surf!

enzo on LI    79
I picked up a Comp 1, Rebecca Ort, and a Thresher....you can't have too many boards. I try to ride all of my boards but still have my favorites. I now have 8 boards with more to come.

Too bad my plans got cancelled this weekend. Would have been a blast to come up and ride with ya again. Definitely keep me posted if you are ready to part with any of your boards.

MN_Surfer    0

Rode the Grindwater again yesterday.....I would NEVER recommend this board to anyone. Super slow and way too fragile....the board has pressure cracks all around the edges after riding it for two days. Good thing I only paid $200 for it off of Craigslist.

MN_Surfer    0

Great day....my new boards arrived today and I rode the Comp 1.....might be my new favorite board. The Rebecca Ort will stay in the garage for awhile since my wife is 35 weeks pregnant :rtfm: I didn't even ride the Thresher as I was loving the Comp 1. A big thanks to the guys at Slaysh Tank for hooking me up with the multiple board purchase.

The Comp 1 doesn't nosedive (pearl) at all and is super fast. This is the board to catch some big air on. I was able to spin a few 3's on it but didn't ride any of them out....it is coming though. I only rode for about an hour. More reviews to come as I pick up some more boards :surfing2:

LakeSurfer    10

I got to ride me new (demo) Ruthless 4'6" this morning for a few sets. It is hands down my favorite board now. It is a great blend of my Sweet Spot and JWSM. It has a lot of speed and responsiveness but is still somewhat stable. I am sure I will like the JWSM more as I get better, but for now you wont be able to get me of of my Ruthless.

Speed: feels much faster than Sweet Spot and probably as fast as JWSM. Much more of a rail to rail but does have some straight line speed

Weight: lighter than Sweet Spot and heavier than JWSM (noticeably when compared to both)

Agility: very responsive, especially compared to Sweet Spot. But not as responsive as JWSM

Stability: not as stable as Sweet Spot (much more loose). However, it feels very stable compared to JWSM

islander033    2
I got to ride me new (demo) Towanza Ruthless 4'6" this morning for a few sets. .....

What are the weight limits for the 4'6" and the 4'9". What fin setup are you running on your 4'6"?

What are the weight limits for the 4'6" and the 4'9". What fin setup are you running on your 4'6"?

Not sure about the 4.6 but the 4.9 is good to 250#.

T

LakeSurfer    10

On Saturday I ran the Scimitar/C5 combo. I am going to ride the Vector 321/C5 combo tomorrow. I am pretty sure I am not good enough to tell the difference, but the 321s are suppose to be better.

For your above average weekend warrior, this board is great. Great balance of fast, stable, loose, light, etc. Nice balance between my Sweet Spot (which is a little big for me) and my JWSM (move a toe and the board shoots in some direction). I honestly will find it very hard to ever buy another board unless my skill set gets a lot better or I get bored (which is very likely)

Note: Some have described it as a combo of the Bullet and JWSM

Edited by LakeSurfer

Bigcatpt    408

Just some feedback on the Inland Surfer Big Boy fins. I borrowed Dura's yesterday and put them on my Red Woody. WOW!!!!!! Huge difference!! They made the board considerably faster. The board has never been rail to rail fast but now you step on the front of it and it really goes!!!! It is also a little more stable. However I could not get it to spin with the bigger fins. I have no problem spinning a full 360 with the standard fins but could not get it all the way around with the Big Boys. So I have choices to make..... faster and tougher to spin..... or slower and able to spin.... Hoping to get in on that fitness challenge and lose 40 lbs by next spring and ride a different board.....

islander033    2
.... Hoping to get in on that fitness challenge and lose 40 lbs by next spring and ride a different board.....

You lose that much weight and you will be riding duramat's Sweet Spot :thumbsup:

LakeSurfer    10
I got to ride me new (demo) Ruthless 4'6" this morning for a few sets. It is hands down my favorite board now. It is a great blend of my Sweet Spot and JWSM. It has a lot of speed and responsiveness but is still somewhat stable. I am sure I will like the JWSM more as I get better, but for now you wont be able to get me of of my Ruthless.

Speed: feels much faster than Sweet Spot and probably as fast as JWSM. Much more of a rail to rail but does have some straight line speed

Weight: lighter than Sweet Spot and heavier than JWSM (noticeably when compared to both)

Agility: very responsive, especially compared to Sweet Spot. But not as responsive as JWSM

Stability: not as stable as Sweet Spot (much more loose). However, it feels very stable compared to JWSM

Well even though I said you will not be able to get me off of my new Ruthless, I went ahead and order a new Fly Boy before IS takes over. I am once again buying a board that is way beyond my skill set. But what the heck, maybe I will "grow" into it over the next few summers. I am HOPING to get it by the end of October. So with my fingers crossed, will post a review by the 1st of November.

Ruthless Update: I have had a chance to ride it twice more this week and my opinion has not changed. This really is a great board. If I had any skill at all, airs and 360s would be a breeze. I have tried only a few 360s and it just comes around with ease (now if I can just quit over rotating).

Edited by WakeDoc

rick9021    0

I have to show some love for the Phase 5 boards! I started with the Oogle and absolutely love the stability which it provides. I actually have all my friends learn on that board. You do have to learn to use the edge, however I think using the rail is very important to learn right away. I moved to the Phase 5 Prop next. This board really is nice. It spins super quick, fairly stable for a smaller board and is very fast on the wake. One of my favs! Last month stepped up and purchased a DD Carbon. Talk about a board!! This this is fast! You just think forward and before you know it you are needing to either brake or air off the wake to slow down! Very stable for a high performance board yet spins like a top. I think the one thing all of the boards have in common is the need to use the rail to hold the edge, the hardest thing for the beginners to get used to but once people understand it, their surfing progresses quite rapidly. Thumbs up to the Phase 5 boards, well done!!!

Rode the Grindwater again yesterday.....I would NEVER recommend this board to anyone. Super slow and way too fragile....the board has pressure cracks all around the edges after riding it for two days. Good thing I only paid $200 for it off of Craigslist.

x2 shaka sucks big time

Ronix Koal 5.0 is my other board and for me it is stable and fast enough for now.

desotodave    0
x2 shaka sucks big time

Ronix Koal 5.0 is my other board and for me it is stable and fast enough for now.

I had a Shaka as well, and it was starting to show cracks etc. My 14 year old loved the board, but it was stolen this summer with a ton of other stuff out of our garage. My main board is a Phase 5 DD Carbon Large, and I love that board, but at my weight 215 you need a good wave to ride it. My usual lake (Utah Lake) is too shallow this time of year (last week we did not find anything deeper than 5' and lots of 4' areas) to get the wave I need to ride it. We also have a Ride, which I can ride when the wake is small and I use as a boat board for bigger guys, and a BIG landlock that we use to get people up for the first time, and I ride on it with the little kids. The Landlock is a TANK, and very slow! At 215, I have a hard time keeping it in the wake. If you are under 170, you will have a hard time falling out of the wake. Very durable, and great for teaching.

LakeSurfer    10

Well it only took 3 mos, but my Fly Boy finally showed up today. I wont get to ride it until Spring, but my preliminary thoughts are (1) it could not be any uglier if they tried and (2) wow is it light. I am guessing it will ride as advertised :thumbsup: Here is a pic of it sitting in its new home, just above my Towanza Ruthless/JWSM and just below my IS Sweet Spot.

post-465-1291402676_thumb.jpg

Edited by LakeSurfer

Sporty    4

Remember, ugly is in the eye of the beerholder! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

duffymahoney    10

Wow, I thought I had a lot of money in boards! On that note anyone looking for a shred stixx elevation? Only used twice. Totally custom:)

LakeSurfer    10
Wow, I thought I had a lot of money in boards! On that note anyone looking for a shred stixx elevation? Only used twice. Totally custom:)

yea, it was starting to add up a little. That is why I thinned them out a little by getting rid of my IS Blue Lake and P5 DD Carbon a few months back. My wife is starting to ask why I need so many boards when I am the only one that surfs.

Why are you getting rid of the Elevation? What size is it?

duffymahoney    10

Nothing is wrong with it. It's just time for the next latest and greatist board. Also good time for someone to pickup a 900 dollar board for about half.

DarksideR    1,679
Nothing is wrong with it. It's just time for the next latest and greatist board. Also good time for someone to pickup a 900 dollar board for about half.

Im interested Duff. Will PM you.

Well it only took 3 mos, but my Fly Boy finally showed up today. I wont get to ride it until Spring, but my preliminary thoughts are (1) it could not be any uglier if they tried and (2) wow is it light. I am guessing it will ride as advertised :thumbsup: Here is a pic of it sitting in its new home, just above my Towanza Ruthless/JWSM and just below my IS Sweet Spot.

Spring!?!? I'm riding before spring and I bet you are with me!

Why are you getting rid of the Elevation? What size is it?

Buy it!

T