boarder250    0

I am going to replace my tires this week on my trailer and was wondering what brand for trailer tires was the best. Right now I have whatever brand the trailer came with.

duramat    462

Just replaced my crappy Carlisle tires for some "TOWMAX STR ST205/75R14 POWER KING RADIALS" I'm happy with them so far. 6 ply too :innocent:

Edited by duramat

elc    2

maxxis m8008 were recommended to me and are great tires for the trailer.

DarksideR    1,679

What kind of price range should we be expecting on these kind of tires? Im assuming you could use a normal car tire? With exception to weight loads.

Anyone know the bolt pattern on the rims?

RVR-RAT    269

ditto as duramat did mine last week $ 318.00 mounted and balanced nitrogen fill

zetchvp    0
What kind of price range should we be expecting on these kind of tires? Im assuming you could use a normal car tire? With exception to weight loads.

Anyone know the bolt pattern on the rims?

I'm pretty sure the rim is a 5 lug 4.5"

DarksideR    1,679
ditto as duramat did mine last week $ 318.00 mounted and balanced nitrogen fill

Well I like the sound of that! But being here in canada, I bet I can add around $200 to that number. Are you saying that Duramat did your tires?

I'm pretty sure the rim is a 5 lug 4.5"

Thank you. one of my rims is damaged, so I might buy a new one and use that damaged one for a spare.

kgordon7378    0

I would get the round black ones. Stay away from the square ones.. on a serious note, they are all rubber, and made by a handful of mfg. thus I would get what you can afford, or whatever the local tire shop has. I would rather get a mid level tire and replace it more often, then spending more on a high end tire in which will dry out and rot long before I can wear out the tread.

DarksideR    1,679
I would get the round black ones. Stay away from the square ones.. on a serious note, they are all rubber, and made by a handful of mfg. thus I would get what you can afford, or whatever the local tire shop has. I would rather get a mid level tire and replace it more often, then spending more on a high end tire in which will dry out and rot long before I can wear out the tread.

I have been getting quotes on a few different types of tires. The tire shops all seem to want to sell me Maxxis or Westland @ $88-$99/tire, which Im hearing are chinese made, and frequently blow out. A friend of a friend works as a marine mechanic for an "over rated and over priced tournament boat brand"... rhymes with BlasterCraft, and is suggesting what they put on they're trailers... A $150/tire Bridgestone or Michelin or something. I went a little bit deaf after hearing the price, so I didn't quite hear what brand exactly!

After having issues with the Carlisles, Im leaning towards going with the more costly tire, mainly because I want to build a bit of a friendship with him, as I will be likely needing his assistance with my boat in the future.

Am I a sucker? :clapping:

duramat    462

LOL No I didn't do his tires, nor did I mount his tires. LMAO c'mon that was funny!

I paid about $350 for mine at Les Swabb. I did not get them balanced, so that saved a few lousy bucks. I now plan on buying 2 new tires every year and rotate the fronts To

the rear so these tires are fresh. That last blow out sucked.

I would call around and shop around, the ones I got are 6 ply radials and much better than them Carlisle ones. It's hit and miss with them, infact Bigcat still has the original tires on his trailer and are pushing 8 yrs old! (time bomb With my luck!)

I'm for saving you some coin my friend :clapping:

Edited by duramat

quadjeff    0

I just did the same tires. Go to Les Schwab. Under 300 bucks for all four. I am happy with mine also. Those Bias Ply piles really suck.. TOWMAX STR ST205/75R14 POWER KING RADIALS

Edited by quadjeff

kgordon7378    0

$150 is really steep for a tire, plus mount and balance would put you about $750. To me that is way too much for tires. You might also try tire rack or other online stores, watch for shipping prices though, as it gets a little much and could cost more than locally. Also keep in mind if you order them online, you still have to pay a local shop to mount and balance them. I also hate to tell you most of the tires are manufactured in china, even some of the "name brand" tires.

elc    2
I have been getting quotes on a few different types of tires. The tire shops all seem to want to sell me Maxxis or Westland @ $88-$99/tire, which Im hearing are chinese made, and frequently blow out. A friend of a friend works as a marine mechanic for an "over rated and over priced tournament boat brand"... rhymes with BlasterCraft, and is suggesting what they put on they're trailers... A $150/tire Bridgestone or Michelin or something. I went a little bit deaf after hearing the price, so I didn't quite hear what brand exactly!

After having issues with the Carlisles, Im leaning towards going with the more costly tire, mainly because I want to build a bit of a friendship with him, as I will be likely needing his assistance with my boat in the future.

Am I a sucker? :thumbsup:

I would not hesitate to buy Maxxis tires again. My family has used them on their rhino trailers and also on a 40' fifth wheel. We haven't had any problems.

Bigcatpt    408
LOL No I didn't do his tires, nor did I mount his tires. LMAO c'mon that was funny!

I paid about $350 for mine at Les Swabb. I did not get them balanced, so that saved a few lousy bucks. I now plan on buying 2 new tires every year and rotate the fronts To

the rear so these tires are fresh. That last blow out sucked.

I would call around and shop around, the ones I got are 6 ply radials and much better than them Carlisle ones. It's hit and miss with them, infact Bigcat still has the original tires on his trailer and are pushing 8 yrs old! (time bomb With my luck!)

I'm for saving you some coin my friend :no

My tires still have good tread on them. The previous owner only had to go 2 miles each way to the lake and back so not many miles. Boat has been mostly stored inside so not much weather related damage. So I decided to crawl under the trailer the other day and check the DOT manufacture date on them. Sure enough they are the original tires. The boat/trailer is an 03 and the tires were manufactured in the 22 week of 2002. So they are now 8 years old. Like Dura said, a time bomb waiting to go off. They will get changed out in the next month before the 6 hour trek to Lake Powell in July. :thumbsup:

For those of you that don't know, you can check the manufacture date of all tires. Many times the tires can sit in a warehouse for several years before they even get put on your car/truck/trailer. So they may be older than you think..... To check the manufacture date look on the side wall of the tire and find the numbers following the letters DOT. There will be a lot of numbers. But the last 4 are the only important ones. The first 2 numbers (of the last 4) tell the week of the year, and the last two numbers are the year. So in my case the last numbers said 2202.... so they were manufactured in the 22 week of 2002. Keep in mind that the DOT number may be on the wall of the tire mounted toward the inside of the trailer so like in my case I had to crawl under the trailer with a flashlight to get the number....

Here is a link about tire dates.... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=11

kgordon7378    0

To add to what Cat said above, the DOT numbers are only on one side of the tire. The first part of the tire is the standard number (which will be the same on both sides) then the 4 numbers for the mfg. date is burned into the tire only on one side. Thus if you dont see it on the outside, it is on the inside.

DarksideR    1,679

Ok everyone. Thank you all for the input. I think Im gonna go with the maxxis tires. From what I've read on the net and here, they seem like a good tire at a good price.

Ok everyone. Thank you all for the input. I think Im gonna go with the maxxis tires. From what I've read on the net and here, they seem like a good tire at a good price.

I had to change my spare out this last weekend - KalTire did a maxxis for $88

DarksideR    1,679

Got the Maxxis 8008 at Kaltire. All 4 mounted for $430 after tax... they quoted me $485 on the phone. Pleasant surprise.

Thanks to all for the help.

Bigcatpt    408

Just got back from putting 4 new Maxxis on the trailer. I got tired of flirting with the devil with 8 year old tires! $324 out the door with the good neighbor discount (store manager is a friend of mine). I decided to go up to the 215 size rather than the 205. Supposedly a little higher load rating..

duramat    462

Flirting with the devil? Is that what were calling her now? LOL :0