Jake707

Need Board Help or Advice

Jake707    171

Ok So as some of you know Ive struggled a bit more than I like on staying in the wake or being able to carve. I think its a combo of my skill (lack there of) as well as the hand me down board we are using which is a hyperlite single middle fin board. Im 5'9" and 220 so yes Im fat right now, but I cant seem to shed this winter coat I put on a couple years ago so now Im just dealing with it till I get back down haha. 

I found this board locally that seem like a nice board and a fair price but wanted to see what your thoughts were on A) this board for me and my size as well as riding skill level currently and B) price of the board.

Im really not trying to spend $800+ on a board as I know I will not use it to its potential as this is a weekend hobby for me so I cant justify that cost.  Thanks for the help

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/spo/6113097382.html

heres a link to the board in the add in case it expires. Hes asking $475

http://wakesurfcentral.com/products/1222-Wakesurf/29558-Inland-Surfer-Swallow-V2-Wakesurf-Board-2015/

Jake707    171

also found this on sale. Good looking board but is shorter at 4'6 compared to the inland at 5'3 so Im assuming this would be too small for me right now?

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakesurf-boards/ronix-koal-fish-board-2015.aspx#image=85800/379826/ronix-koal-fish-wakesurf-board-2015-4-6-.jpg

Edited by Jake707

Bongo Fury    640

We have that Swallow board.  I'm heavy and this board will for sure help you stay in the wave.  Its also lightning fast.   It will change the way you ride.  Great "big guy" board.

RhuntIII    555

DrNate had an IS swallow that we rode back in the day. I would say it's a good board for a big guy but if you want the best board for a big guy go with a 9' Stewart Redline 11. 

• Like 1

Cwazy1    89

My friends and I rode the swallow v2 a few years back during a demo day. I'd say that it is a narrow board that is quite fast for a smaller person as myself (150 pound). My friends who were about 180 pound had an OK time riding it behind a malibu wave (soft, squishy, standard malibu wave). The problems it may pose include the small width being more difficult to ride for novice riders, as well as the narrow tail width which might not cut it for your weight unless you're 'active' on the wave, meaning that you're pumping and have good control of navigating the wave. 

My suggestion for the price would be a slingshot gnarwahl in the 4'10. Its got a huge width in the rear for ample push as well as blunt nose to keep the overal length of the board down. My buddy who rides it is 200 pounds and he can stay in the wave just sitting there just fine. 

Edited by Cwazy1

Jake707    171

Well hell.  The site wasn't working on my phone over the weekend so I didn't read any of these until now but being the impatient person I am I went ahead and bought the Swallow.  The board is gorgeous in person. Looks brand new and is half the weight of my smaller hyperlite board due to it being carbon fiber Im guessing.  He was only running the two fins on the outside so I will try that first and see how it feels before looking into going quad fin. 

I do like the look and logic of that slingshot and might have gone that route if I saw this sooner but I cant say that Im unhappy with this board just based on looks and feel so far.  Once I water test it I will let you guys know.  Now I have a whole new problem though. My racks are old crappy ones made for wakeboards so I have to try and find some surf racks now that don't cost more than the dam board I just bought.

DrNate    426

You will be happy with the Swallow.  I rode it at 220 all day.  It will be night and day difference from your old board, I promise.

Jake707    171

Just as follow up, I took the board out this past sunday and it is night and day over the hyperlite. It is much faster and stable.  The issue I was having now is figuring out feet position as it is a longer board so too far forward and I cant slow down before the board is over the swim deck. too far back, like on the kick stop which is very comfy, and I cant generate enough speed to stay in the pocket. It will take some time but its basically learning all over again. All in all I am very pleased with it so far.

• Like 1

Jake707    171

Forgot to mention this but one thing that was brought up while I was riding it was that water was coming up through the board while riding through the open holes of the fin slots underneath are there supposed to be caps or something in there filling them in?

stoked    1,039

You can tap over them if it bothers you, I like the little stream that shoots up on our hyperlite so I never plugged it

Jake707    171
2 hours ago, stoked said:

You can tap over them if it bothers you, I like the little stream that shoots up on our hyperlite so I never plugged it

my wife rode it just for kicks and she said it was like riding a bidet with all the water shooting up haha    Ill look and see if I can find the plugs online for them or maybe just tape them up.   Im taking it out again this weekend so Ill just rock the "rooster tail" for now haha