Mrdeerwood

FS33 FS44 prop hull burn?

DarksideR    1,679

I may have missed it, but this is the first I've heard of making sure the rudder is centered before applying power. What does that affect and how? Thanks.

A turned ruder can increase cavitation.

jester    111

Sorry for the late reply on the post been working and surfing a lot that last few weeks and keep forgetting to take a very close look. I am running the 1615 also with a ship date early January on the 2015 FS33 409 and do not have any burn. When I surf we run about 3250 RPM. Also 90% of the time I surf goofy (because I have an amazing boat crew :) ).

• Like 1

Mrdeerwood    26

Sorry for the late reply on the post been working and surfing a lot that last few weeks and keep forgetting to take a very close look. I am running the 1615 also with a ship date early January on the 2015 FS33 409 and do not have any burn. When I surf we run about 3250 RPM. Also 90% of the time I surf goofy (because I have an amazing boat crew :) ).

Guessing you surf listed with those low RPM's. Seems to me the issue is more and more related to the extra load of QS (extra ballast and drag from QS tabs)

stoked    1,039

Jester and I are running identical right down to the boat color! We're at the same RPMs, listed, mostly goofy

DarksideR    1,679

Same boat here, different V-drive. I'm pushing 3700 with no people weight and over 4000 with just 2-3 more people. But I also seem to be running more counter than you guys. 1847 prop.

Glugglugglug. She's thirsty.

stoked    1,039

I'd say we're close to the same once you count my lead. I'm somewhere around 5.5 gph while surfing/teaching people to surf. We could probably do better if my wife stopped flying up to me at surf speed, then slamming it in reverse so she can throw the rope. Baby steps... baby steps. At least she doesn't power turn anymore...

• Like 3

jester    111

Jester and I are running identical right down to the boat color! We're at the same RPMs, listed, mostly goofy

Everyone needs a twin I guess.

• Like 1

stoked    1,039

Everyone needs a twin I guess.

Good thing we're on opposites of the country, otherwise we'd probably have to do the highlander thing or something.

• Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

There can be only one

• Like 1

Same boat here, different V-drive. I'm pushing 3700 with no people weight and over 4000 with just 2-3 more people. But I also seem to be running more counter than you guys. 1847 prop.

Glugglugglug. She's thirsty.

new big thing in surf boats.. 2 speed drive. Surf/cruise.
  • Like 1

volzalum    280

My gel burn was not caused by quick surf. I've listed mine 98% of the time. Though I have started using the QS to change the wave some for different riders.

Mrdeerwood    26

My gel burn was not caused by quick surf. I've listed mine 98% of the time. Though I have started using the QS to change the wave some for different riders.

But you were also running a 15" prop correct?

Mrdeerwood    26

Spent the last 2 weeks (22 hours) playing around/testing my FS33. Ran the 1847 for around 8 hours and put the 1615 back on for the remainder. After running the 1615 for 75 hours this summer the 1847 was a disappointment. Not only for surfing but very noticeable skiing, wakeboarding and pulling the kids tubing. Loaded it up with the 1847 trying to QS was ok but listing still worked out WAAAY better.

The 33 will put out a really good QS wave if heavily loaded but the 1847 just can't handle the load (struggles to get up/hold speed). The additional ballast required, drag from QS plus having to drive a little faster is just a little to much for the 1847. The 1615 will do it but I'm pretty sure that's why I got hull burn. I'm back running the 1615 full time but not using QS anymore unless I want to do transfers (which I won't use full ballast) or if I'm surfing the kids with a lighter load.

The FS33 QS wave is pretty good for a smaller/light rider but it definitely lacks the push of the listed wave and it's noticeably shorter/steeper. I'm 220lbs and need that extra push and want the longer wave! Honestly I think if the FS had a slightly larger center tab (to lengthen the wave) and a larger prop (to push bigger loads) it could be a great QS boat.

The good news is I haven't got any more rash during the past 14 hours using the 1615 (with a lot of surfing!). I have been listing (80/20) and running anywhere from 3-7 in the crew. One time we even ran 3 plus 400&150 sacs.

Edited by Mrdeerwood
  • Like 1

doug743    53

i just checked mine, 100 hours, 2015 fs44 with the hi altitude prop, (did not check the number) no issues. no burn, not even a mark. strange that so many are having it, my lake is a high sediment lake in the fingers of the lake, SC weather, but deep water most of the time, 25 plus feet. not sure what causes it. i even keep my boat in the water for 4 to 6 week time, no gel issues at all.

Mrdeerwood    26

i just checked mine, 100 hours, 2015 fs44 with the hi altitude prop, (did not check the number) no issues. no burn, not even a mark. strange that so many are having it, my lake is a high sediment lake in the fingers of the lake, SC weather, but deep water most of the time, 25 plus feet. not sure what causes it. i even keep my boat in the water for 4 to 6 week time, no gel issues at all.

Stock high alt should be the 1847, I don't think anyone has burned with that prop because it's only 14" diameter. The ones having problems run the 14.5" or 15" props.

lovetosurf    48

For what it's worth, I ran a 14.5x13.75 for 70ish hrs followed by a 14.5x12.5 - 5 blade for 20ish hours, then a 15x12 for 15ish hrs and most recently a 14.5 x 12 for around 70hrs without a scuff from any of the props.

volzalum    280

But you were also running a 15" prop correct?

Yes, mine came with a 15 inch prop that I ran the first 80 hours. I wonder how hard it would be to have shims made for the front engine mounts and v-Drive to slightly change the angle and gain clearance. It would not take very large shims to get an inch of clearance for a 15" prop. On mine, my prop sits at the very back of the prop bubble. Just bringing the prop forward a quarter inch would gain a quarter inch clearance. For mine though I'd have to gain an inch total to clear a 15 inch prop by an inch because of how much clearance the prop wash plate removed.

Mrdeerwood    26

For what it's worth, I ran a 14.5x13.75 for 70ish hrs followed by a 14.5x12.5 - 5 blade for 20ish hours, then a 15x12 for 15ish hrs and most recently a 14.5 x 12 for around 70hrs without a scuff from any of the props.

Guessing u always listed? Seems the problem is with using QS when heavily loaded...

Mrdeerwood    26

Yes, mine came with a 15 inch prop that I ran the first 80 hours. I wonder how hard it would be to have shims made for the front engine mounts and v-Drive to slightly change the angle and gain clearance. It would not take very large shims to get an inch of clearance for a 15" prop. On mine, my prop sits at the very back of the prop bubble. Just bringing the prop forward a quarter inch would gain a quarter inch clearance. For mine though I'd have to gain an inch total to clear a 15 inch prop by an inch because of how much clearance the prop wash plate removed.

Honestly that plate is a joke. I can't believe they can't send one out that fits the boat correctly. I have one shipping but told them if it doesn't fit perfect there is no way I'm putting it on. We shall see...

lovetosurf    48

Guessing u always listed? Seems the problem is with using QS when heavily loaded...

Correct, used QS less than 20% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk