chenige

What board next?

chenige    84

This is he board my 165# son surfs behind our elite. What kind of board should we get next? I hear skim, long, etc but since we know no one who does this(except here of course) what kind of board round he like next?

Cdifranco    463

Surf 4'6-4'8 Doomswell neo or nubstep, IS fly boy, or a soulcraft would be my votes based upon my riding style and coincidentally I am also 165#.

Skim phase five boards are a solid grab

Do you think he wants a board that's looser or or more surf pump driven ?

Edited by Cdifranco

chenige    84

What is the difference in those boards and the one he has? Seem like similar boards. Are they skim boards?

Cdifranco    463

I can't see what he has now? Doomswell Soulcraft and IS flyboy are surf style boards..

chenige    84

Oh. Whoops. Forgot to attach.

Liquid force. Fish

post-5486-0-97868700-1468460759_thumb.jpg

DarksideR    1,679

He kinda has to decide if he wants to do skim or surf. Skimboards are very fast and VERY slippery! Ride very different then surf style. I would say anything from P5 or Inland would be a step up from the fish... I think your best bang for your $$$ would be an Inland Taco. It's kinda a cross between a surf and skim. You can change the fin setup to be either(sorta). Then after that, he can decide if he wants to progress at surf or skim and go from there. The boards that CDIFranco mentioned are very pricey and some of them are very fragile. They're also very awesome boards!

chenige    84

He is fine with the board we have for now but perhaps a skim board for Christmas then. Just something different to try. Really wish we had folks closer to us that surfed. We are the only ones in the county I bet. And there are a lot of lakes here. It is Michigan! Now if we were on the west side of Michigan there is a lot more money. My 2000 elite is considered quite a boat here. It even has a tower, with speakers!

Edited by chenige

Cdifranco    463

A board to me is an investment into advancing my skills.. I have multiple cheap boards that sit and never get rode coincidentally they're all cheap boards, think long term. Like dark said boards in general arnt cheap, even cheap ones are going to cost you 400.. If you have the option to demo I would definitly recommend figuring out if he's going to be a skimmer or a surfer, then bury that fish in the garage when the new board comes!

Chenige I might have a phase five board stashed under my house somewhere. I honestly hated the board but it came with my boat, I just don't ride skim. If I can find it and shipping is cheap I'll send you it and beat the hell out of it this summer, if he likes it keep it if not ship it back haha

Would be nice to have a board swap program!

chenige    84

A board to me is an investment into advancing my skills.. I have multiple cheap boards that sit and never get rode coincidentally they're all cheap boards, think long term. Like dark said boards in general arnt cheap, even cheap ones are going to cost you 400.. If you have the option to demo I would definitly recommend figuring out if he's going to be a skimmer or a surfer, then bury that fish in the garage when the new board comes!

Chenige I might have a phase five board stashed under my house somewhere. I honestly hated the board but it came with my boat, I just don't ride skim. If I can find it and shipping is cheap I'll send you it and beat the hell out of it this summer, if he likes it keep it if not ship it back haha

Would be nice to have a board swap program!

No one surfs near us. I have a friend 2 hours away that does. Would love to try the skimboard.

DarksideR    1,679

Nice Cdi! What an offer!

Yeah, a board swap program would be sweet!

Cdifranco    463

I couldn't even tell you what this board is.. It's squirlly as heck though. I'm off the lake this weekend for a wedding but I'll check Sunday and see what it is.

And dark it's all for the kids man. If I can help someone else get on the water and have as much fun out there as I do, then hell yea!

I always keep in the back of my head how I started wake surfing, and it started with me just asking some random guy I saw on the lake if I could give it a try. (Luckily he had a sv233) 10 days later I traded in my Bayliner for a centurion and joined one of the best forums on the net.

This is the board, 9267660eef391c49f65a671fe848619d.jpg

Edited by Cdifranco
  • Like 3

stoked    1,039
I couldn't even tell you what this board is.. It's squirlly as heck though. I'm off the lake this weekend for a wedding but I'll check Sunday and see what it is.

And dark it's all for the kids man. If I can help someone else get on the water and have as much fun out there as I do, then hell yea!

I always keep in the back of my head how I started wake surfing, and it started with me just asking some random guy I saw on the lake if I could give it a try. (Luckily he had a sv233) 10 days later I traded in my Bayliner for a centurion and joined one of the best forums on the net.

This is the board,

Is that an old Oogle?

• Like 1

I surf a P5 colt. 6 year old board. Friend bought a new Inland Surfer Tako and could not throw the rope. Last trip of last year, I got him to try my Colt, and Oh what a difference, He rode forever.

I tried his Tako and did not like it too well. Surfed like a slug, a lot slower than the P5. Everyone talks about the waves when learning to set up a boat for surfing or learning to surf, when the board is the one thing in between you and the wave.

• Like 1

bluesman280    99

I couldn't even tell you what this board is.. It's squirlly as heck though. I'm off the lake this weekend for a wedding but I'll check Sunday and see what it is.And dark it's all for the kids man. If I can help someone else get on the water and have as much fun out there as I do, then hell yea!I always keep in the back of my head how I started wake surfing, and it started with me just asking some random guy I saw on the lake if I could give it a try. (Luckily he had a sv233) 10 days later I traded in my Bayliner for a centurion and joined one of the best forums on the net.This is the board, 9267660eef391c49f65a671fe848619d.jpg

It looks like an old phase 5 oogle. We have one as well. They are definately squirly with the short find. We swapped out the 1" find for a 2" to tame it down a little.

bluesman280    99

Check around the local boat dealers hopefully some one has a rental/demo program. I am sure glad we have Barry Jays Marine here in Edmonton for board rentals and demos. I think I tried out 6 boards last year before settling on a phase 5 trident

CaptnMike    3

Both my kids surf, and learned on a P5 Scamp. They are Surfing now on a Inland Surfer Black Pearl, with the large delta fins for stability because it can be an extremely fast and squirly board.

A Mucus might be good too. At 165lbs, a good weight for it. They are all over the place used.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Edited by CaptnMike

chadr    328

He kinda has to decide if he wants to do skim or surf. Skimboards are very fast and VERY slippery! Ride very different then surf style. I would say anything from P5 or Inland would be a step up from the fish... I think your best bang for your $$$ would be an Inland Taco. It's kinda a cross between a surf and skim. You can change the fin setup to be either(sorta). Then after that, he can decide if he wants to progress at surf or skim and go from there. The boards that CDIFranco mentioned are very pricey and some of them are very fragile. They're also very awesome boards!

Agreed on the TAKO! Its a great all around board that is adaptable to many riders. It is also not expensive!

I ride a victory factor pcx. Love it. Light as air

truekaotik    458

TAKO, Mucus, P5 danielo, oh so many to name..

• Like 2