13randon

Homemade "suckgate" success story.

bluesman280    99

I really do think that this is great, but somehow just feels like blasphemy on a Centurion or Supreme. Am I the only one?

I have been messing with a couple different sized suck gates and I am impressed that they make a surfable wave. Still plan to keep messing with the size and angle of the gate to use as a quick switch solution to swap over to goofy for my son. That being said.....there is no replacement for displacement. The gate makes a nice low, smooth, long wave, with decent push, bur we are more used to a tall, agressive wave with lots of push. A properly listed boat is pretty tough to beat.
  • Like 2

Jake707    171

Like most things now days people are willing to spare a little quality to have instant gratification. It's nothing I would put on eather of your boats but it has worked out quite well on my old elite v.

ditto. I listed the hell out of my elite and it was a good sized wave although right off the back of the boat. With a suckgate the wage isn't quite as tall but maintains size wth more bow weight better letting me not have to worry about stabbing the transom every time with the board. Plus it helps when kids or just boat rookies are with me so we're not leaning over so much. Down side is it burns more gas and seems to put more strain on the motor

chenige    84

Double ditto. I listed the hell out of my elite and it was a good sized wave although right off the back of the boat. With my surfgate the wave isn't quite as tall but maintains size with more bow weight to keep the nose down a bit. And my son could put the tip of his board on the teak platform in the back. Down side is the extra weight (other side/bow) makes the boat heavier and need high RPM to keep up desired speed.

Edited by chenige

enzo101mo    98

I see some negative thoughts about the surf gate and I am about to make one. SO is the 7"x 9" better or 10 " x 12" or Maybe the 7.6" x 10.5" ?

Mpod    2

I would go with 7" for the vertical dimension and start with 11-12" for the horizontal. It'll be easy enough to cut the length down without even disassembling the gate.

Or...you could temporarily attach the bigger plate to the face of the 7x9 with industrial velcro. Worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copenglenn    44

I think that the increase in angle makes up for the size of the plate. Over on the MC forum, there is guys running all different sizes of plates and they all seem to be getting good results. FWIW my cosmos handle held on fine with a 7.5" X 10.5" plate at 15 mph!

enzo101mo    98

Everything is cut, drilled and primed, next paint to match my boat then assemble. I cut out 7' x 9" & 7.6" x 10.6"

miller3714    1

Great to hear the HOD handle sucks as mine just arrived today. Got that one because I wanted black. Guess it's back to Amazon for the shiny silver of the Cosmos!

bluesman280    99

HOD handles suck. It was the only thing I could find locally so I tried them out while I waited for a chrome one to show up. Started with a

8 1/2" x 10" wing, which failed. So then I tried drilling some holes in it, which failed. Then I tried a 6 1/2" x 7" wing, which failed. The handle would just pop off.

Now that the chrome handle has shown up, I have tried it with just the small 6 1/2" x 7' plate which stayed on, made a surfable wave, but nothing to right home about. So next attempt is chrome handle with 8 1/2" x 10" plate with holes in it.

bluesman280    99

I think that the increase in angle makes up for the size of the plate. Over on the MC forum, there is guys running all different sizes of plates and they all seem to be getting good results. FWIW my cosmos handle held on fine with a 7.5" X 10.5" plate at 15 mph!

What angle do you have your wing at? Mine is currently at 80 degrees but thinking of taking it down to about 60 degrees.

Copenglenn    44

What angle do you have your wing at? Mine is currently at 80 degrees but thinking of taking it down to about 60 degrees.

Mine is at 75° on this one and 80° on the other I made.

Jake707    171

Everything is cut, drilled and primed, next paint to match my boat then assemble. I cut out 7' x 9" & 7.6" x 10.6"

I would love to know if you notice a big difference in the two sizes. Keep us posted

enzo101mo    98

I bought from Amazon 2 Qadira HD SS pro glass they cost $19.00 @. I stuck them on the boat first to see how good they hold, I pulled as hard as I could with my feet against the trailer and they stayed on but will find out when they hit the water.

Here is a picture of my cut out parts & primed. I used 3/4" for the supports and blocking and 1/2" for the plate. The material is the cutting board which I had, Just put the first coat on of Lime green paint to match the boat.

enzo101mo    98

I had added two 3/4" spacers for each side of the handle to give me more room for my hand and a top piece to fit and screw down over the spacers for more support

Hein    63

Working on ours. CAD model below. Parts are cut and ready to assemble.

suck_gate_wreframe.jpg

Hein    63

Finished the assembly and trying to figure out how I'll attach it to the boat while in the water without going for a swim. Also,the hull of our Enzo has a slight curve where the gate needs to go so it's hard to keep the two suction firmly planted while pulling the levers. I later cut the handle out of the suction thing so the two cups are mounted independently. I was hoping that would allow some flex between the two to accommodate the curve but I really need to redesign the frame to be more flexible to make that happen. I'll water test this; if the results are favorable then I'll work on version 2.

suck_gate_mounted1.jpg

suck_gate_mounted2.jpg

Edited by Hein
  • Like 2