truekaotik    458

So I test drove and surfed a Ri237 today. WOW... Only issue I seen is that it looses ballast, power or something as the day goes.. Went out filled to LakeSurfers specs (Thanks!) and the wave was awesome... After 3 people it wouldn't go past 11.4mph... WTF??

Btw, the pre set is garbage...

Edited by truekaotik

DarksideR    1,679

Weird... losing ballast wouldn't make the boat lose speed. I'd think just the opposite.

stoked    1,039

So I test drove and surfed a Ri237 today. WOW... Only issue I seen is that it looses ballast, power or something as the day goes.. Went out filled to LakeSurfers specs (Thanks!) and the wave was awesome... After 3 people it wouldn't go past 11.4mph... WTF??

Btw, the pre set is garbage...

Did you have the speed control set to 11.4 LOL

The fuel ballast greatly affects the wave as the day goes on, we can tell when we get below half a tank for certain. Maybe that's where it felt like ballast loss?

truekaotik    458

3/4 tank when happened, zero off was set right, we even raised it to 13.5 to see and it still wouldn't go past 11.4.

So let me explain better I guess.. Filled, pulled 3 riders the same way, each went to 12.3 MPH ( wave is long and HUGE with LakeSurfers settings)because we like a longer wave. Shut engine off this time to change the rider. Turned on and everything was set, pull him up and it won't pass 11.4 with the throttle all the way forward??? Wouldn't go past 11.4 till we dumped?? Now I noticed a lot more exhaust during the speed issue...

For ballast lost comment, it felt like the boat lost its bow ballast and acted like my boat without bow weight and to much weight in rear. Like it was struggling to get to speed? Once dumped it drove fine.

Edited by truekaotik

stoked    1,039

That's really odd. Sounds like there might be an issue. So is the ultimate mod in the works?

Idaho Mike    29

My friend's 24' Axis went through this same thing. It was just fine with factory stuff, then he amped it up with lead sacks inside the boat. After about a month it started really creating a lot of smoke from the engine. It also will not go above a certain speed regardless of where you set it. It will totally get "stuck in a hole" trying to pull up about 10% of the time (when people get up and carve hard or lean back hard before it gets higher up on plane, but sometimes it does it inexplicably) and the wave won't green out until I either flip the wave from side to side, or dump some weight from the rear ballast. I usually opt to dump some water ballast and it fixes itself. He put on a FAE to get rid of the smoky exhaust (ha! - out of sight, out of mind!).

(BTW, his boat has a great wave, but it is about 2 years old with the wider bow (picklefork?), and that thing is soooo scary turning to pick up surfers. Even the little rollers that the boat leaves for a couple hundred feet behind it threaten to come over the bow. I'd way rather pick up a surfer in my listed boat than that thing. I do like being level between sets though, and also being able to switch from side to side in about 5 seconds flat.)

Anyhow, I think the solution is either less weight, new prop, or more H.P.

Thought: Where is the gas tank? front or mid? As gas gets used I imagine it affects the balance of the boat (as opposed to just its weight). Starting out in my boat it all goes to the rear of the tank, which is fine in an Enzo, but maybe that's not good for an Ri237?

Edited by Idaho Mike

truekaotik    458

That's really odd. Sounds like there might be an issue. So is the ultimate mod in the works?

Ummmmm Maybe.... This concerns me as it was my first surf with the factory ballast in a Ri237... 5 hours on it. The whole left side of the audio system would shut down intermittently as well, You could hear the channel also go out in the woofer. Wasn't impressed besides the factory sub.. Edited by truekaotik

stoked    1,039

Ummmmm Maybe.... This concerns me as it was my first surf with the Ri237...

That would concern me too, but only to the point that I wouldn't buy that specific one. Lots of people have them with no issue, so I think your experience was pretty unique.

Cdifranco    463

I feel like I have experienced this before on my boat. Its like I set my speed to say 11.2 and then we will see it is too fast or slow due to wind or current or whatever so I will try to adjust it on the fly and then it will be locked into that RPM no matter what until I throttle down and shut off the boat. Even when in MPH mode not RPM. Very frustrating because I like to be able to tweak and tune the wave as I drive for the rider, sometimes you can just tell your going to fast even if they don't notice. Usually if I set the speed and then click up or down it would go up or down still set.

Annoying is what it is!

Edited by Cdifranco

truekaotik    458

My friend's 24' Axis went through this same thing. It was just fine with factory stuff, then he amped it up with lead sacks inside the boat. After about a month it started really creating a lot of smoke from the engine. It also will not go above a certain speed regardless of where you set it. It will totally get "stuck in a hole" trying to pull up about 10% of the time (when people get up and carve hard or lean back hard before it gets higher up on plane, but sometimes it does it inexplicably) and the wave won't green out until I either flip the wave from side to side, or dump some weight from the rear ballast. I usually opt to dump some water ballast and it fixes itself. He put on a FAE to get rid of the smoky exhaust (ha! - out of sight, out of mind!).

(BTW, his boat has a great wave, but it is about 2 years old with the wider bow (picklefork?), and that thing is soooo scary turning to pick up surfers. Even the little rollers that the boat leaves for a couple hundred feet behind it threaten to come over the bow. I'd way rather pick up a surfer in my listed boat than that thing. I do like being level between sets though, and also being able to switch from side to side in about 5 seconds flat.)

Anyhow, I think the solution is either less weight, new prop, or more H.P.

Thought: Where is the gas tank? front or mid? As gas gets used I imagine it affects the balance of the boat (as opposed to just its weight). Starting out in my boat it all goes to the rear of the tank, which is fine in an Enzo, but maybe that's not good for an Ri237?

Yeah the Axis is sketchy because of the 1200#s in bow weight they HAVE to have... My buddy has one we try to surf all the time, wave is ok but the push lacks... Lol

Lak3surf3r    714

I havent had that problem on my Ri but i did have that problem on my FS44. Something with the gps speed control went wonky and I would shut it down and reset the breakers and it would be fine. Glad the setting worked for you!

truekaotik    458

Now that sounds like what might be the culprit!! But we tried to increase speed on Zero Off and it wouldn't increase speed either. Gonna try that next time and see if it fixes it. Going Tuesday again.. Thanks again Lake..

Edited by truekaotik
  • Like 1

CO Surfer    289

I had something similar happen one day on my SV. I could not get the GPS speed control to work properly. It would only work in RPM mode even when I changed it to MPH on the screen, it was still going to the set RPM. It was weird. I eventually shut down the engine, flipped the battery switch to off, tripped the breakers and then reset everything and turned it back on. It has worked fine since then. Always my go to on anything computer related...restart.

chowder2016    110

I had the same thing happen on mine on Lake Oroville. Ballast settings dialed in and surfed in the morning at 12.2 mph no problem. Later in the day could not get past 11.3. And just yesterday noticed that Im not getting the same acceleration I was getting before. It was taking her a long long time to get to 19mph with no ballast just to wakeboard. Going to the dealer next week to see if they can find anything wrong with her.

truekaotik    458

Keep us posted Chowder!!! Please

boatnut    230

Just my two cents worth, in my 210, if I am loaded with people and ballast, I have a very very hard time getting above anything around a surf speed,.... My guess it could be the prop.... What rpm were you at when surfing??

stoked    1,039

The prop wouldn't explain it working fine in the morning then not in the afternoon. I think there might be a software glitch like it gets stuck in RPM mode even though it says MPH

Cdifranco    463

Not the prop. My boat did the same exact thing, surfed like a champ this morning, same prop, same weight, same people, same mph, same everything.. Was very frustrating/confusing, like Lakesurfer said I shut the boat down and it went away?

Fivebar2    176

They are working on a new software update currently. We shall see what all it entailes. I know it is addressing the timers on the ballasts. Not sure what else.